LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 88 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Misc. Offseason Brewers Prospect & Farm System Rankings (for 2021)

Offline  Re: Misc. Offseason Brewers Prospect Rankings (for 2021)

Posted: February 01, 2021, 2:49 PM Post
I think Hedbert Perez, Mario Feliciano and Antoine Kelly are the most likely to enter the top 100. Reports are positive about Felicianos bat from the alternate site last year. Assuming those are correct, I expect he'll shoot up the rankings once that approach starts showing up in AA (Or even AAA); power hitting catchers don't exactly grow on trees.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 01, 2021, 9:28 PM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Oh, hi there Hedbert.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 02, 2021, 12:28 PM Post
It may be a fantasy focused prospect ranking, but still interesting nonetheless, Hedbert comes in at #31 (in the MLB) on the updated Rotowire dynasty prospects.

In the fantasy baseball realm, Hedbert is a very expensive commodity already.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 03, 2021, 12:13 PM Post
I've kinda fallen off putting a lot of focus into minor leagues since there was no game action last year. Does anyone have any insight as to what our minor league players did last year? I would like to assume they didn't just sit home on the couch and play video games. Were there games at extended ST? Did they play in non-affiliated ball? I haven't seen any bigger names in winter leagues.

One thought I had heading into this MLB season, there could potentially be players that took massive jumps last year...that nobody really knows about because there wasn't any affiliated game action. At least my assumption is that nobody knows, at least not fans and probably quite a few sports writers. I'm sure teams have a pretty good idea of which of their players improved. We had a good contingent of young talent in the high a/AA range that I'm wondering if maybe they took a big step. Maybe guys like Ethan Small or Tristen Lutz or Brice Turang are more MLB ready than any of us realize.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 03, 2021, 11:58 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
I've kinda fallen off putting a lot of focus into minor leagues since there was no game action last year. Does anyone have any insight as to what our minor league players did last year? I would like to assume they didn't just sit home on the couch and play video games. Were there games at extended ST? Did they play in non-affiliated ball? I haven't seen any bigger names in winter leagues.

One thought I had heading into this MLB season, there could potentially be players that took massive jumps last year...that nobody really knows about because there wasn't any affiliated game action. At least my assumption is that nobody knows, at least not fans and probably quite a few sports writers. I'm sure teams have a pretty good idea of which of their players improved. We had a good contingent of young talent in the high a/AA range that I'm wondering if maybe they took a big step. Maybe guys like Ethan Small or Tristen Lutz or Brice Turang are more MLB ready than any of us realize.

Yah outside of the top few guys it seems like most prospect rankings are little more than educated guesses at this point. And I think we are going to see more guys than normal skipping levels, especially if they were at the alternate site and did well.

As for the minor league players, a lot of the top prospects, outside of the new draftees, were at the alternate site. Someone else probably has a more comprehensive list (and I hope I'm not listing anyone in error), but from memory of the guys who didn't see time in the majors last year:

Alternate site:
Hitters: Feliciano, Henry, Dillard, Turang, Garcia, Holt, Perez, Lutz, Ray, Rodriguez
Pitchers: Kelly, Small, Ashby, File, Bettinger, Brown, Francis, Andrews

Fall instructs: Roster

A few guys also played Indy League ball over the summer. I know there were more, including I think one or two of the draft picks, but the three I remember off the top of my head were two guys who had really good seasons (Hamilton and Nnebe) and one who really didn't (Erceg)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 04, 2021, 7:39 AM Post
There will no doubt be a lot of surprises. For some players, the alternate site might have been even better than a minor league season; I would think this applies to some of the younger guys mostly who will have seen much better opposition than they would have in A-ball. Someone like Hedbert Perez, assuming he wasn't overwhelmed (And reports would suggest he wasn't, but hard to tell) probably learned a lot, that he can then apply to a full minor league season. While a AAA guy like Ray probably needed the reps from a full AAA campaign more.

But it's hard to know really; perhaps the extra time and quality of coaching allowed players to make mechanical changes that would be hard to do during a normal season. Catcher defense is perhaps something that having the "roving" instructor with them permanently can aid.

There were some good reports out of the summer on for example Kelly being very impressive, and Feliciano making strides at the plate, as well as Turang driving the ball better and gaining some power. You'd also think that File and Bettinger impressed, given that they were added to the 40-man for Rule 5 protection despite being rather unheralded prospects.

Either way, I expect there to be some major moves on midseason prospect lists for instance. From the Brewers I think Perez and Feliciano will enter the top 100 lists. I also think that if Turang shows in AA (Or AAA) that his bat has improved even slightly, that he'll rocket up the charts as well. Plus defense and baserunning already, with good plate discipline, already makes him a very likely major league. If you add a bit of power too...

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Misc. Offseason Brewers Prospect & Farm System Rankings (for 2021)

Posted: February 10, 2021, 9:12 AM Post
Keith Law ranked the system 28th today.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2021, 9:16 AM Post
For those interested, Keith Law has released his farm system rankings today.
His rankings for individual teams will be coming out over the next week or so (AL this week, NL next week).

This year he ranks MKE 28th (up from 30th last year).

As for other teams in the NL Central:
St. Louis - 11 (after accounting for Arenado trade, down from 9th last year)
Pitts - 16 (down from 14th last year)
Cin - 17 (up from 23rd last year)
ChiCubs - 26 (up from 28th last year)

Tampa repeated has his top system for 2021. The rest of his top 5 are:
Cleveland - 2nd
Toronto - 3rd
Miami - 4th
Arizona - 5th

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2021, 12:43 AM Post
More free source farm system rankings..

Prospects 1500
https://www.prospects1500.com/general/2 ... -rankings/

MKE checks in at #28 & here is what was written:

28. Milwaukee Brewers
The Brewers farm system is short on players that are big league ready right now, but full of talented players down in the lower levels of the minors. This system is only about a year away from contributing some solid big league players. -David Gasper (@dgasper24)

Edit: Article link updated

Last edited by MadThinker88 on February 11, 2021, 2:37 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 11, 2021, 1:25 AM Post
Looks like Baseball America also posted its farm system rankings on Weds 2/10.

Once again, MKE at #28...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 13, 2021, 1:10 AM Post
Kiley McDaniel (ESPN) released his ranking of the farm systems late on Friday 2/12/21.

MKE at #29

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2021, 8:27 AM Post
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2021-top-100-prospects/

Eric Longenhagen’s Top 100 prospects doesn’t include any Brewers, but he does have Aaron Ashby, projected as a multi-inning reliever, at #127.

“While he can struggle with his command and his fastball is more good than great, Ashby has one of the better sliders around and knows how to use it.

Ashby showed up at instructs sitting 94-97 (I saw him twice), with two routinely plus breaking balls, and flashed a firm, diving changeup on occasion. It’s fair to wonder whether the context of the look impacted how hard Ashby was throwing (it’s not as if he’d been throwing every fifth day for several months, though it was toward the end of instructs) and he isn’t exactly a precise strike-thrower, but his fastball velocity has been trending up for a few consecutive years now, and all three of his secondary pitches have bat-missing action. I think he’ll either end up in a strikeout-heavy, five-and-dive role or become a vicious multi-inning reliever. (Fall Instructional League)”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2021, 8:41 AM Post
Global Moderator
brooks_quichenick said:
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2021-top-100-prospects/Eric Longenhagen’s Top 100 prospects doesn’t include any Brewers, but he does have Aaron Ashby, projected as a multi-inning reliever, at #127.

Interesting. Would imagine FG is the only outlet with Ashby ranked above Mitchell/Turang. If his secondaries are as advanced as the scouting report implies we could be seeing him in Milwaukee sometime this summer.

While he can struggle with his command and his fastball is more good than great, Ashby has one of the better sliders around and knows how to use it.

Ashby showed up at instructs sitting 94-97 (I saw him twice), with two routinely plus breaking balls, and flashed a firm, diving changeup on occasion. It’s fair to wonder whether the context of the look impacted how hard Ashby was throwing (it’s not as if he’d been throwing every fifth day for several months, though it was toward the end of instructs) and he isn’t exactly a precise strike-thrower, but his fastball velocity has been trending up for a few consecutive years now, and all three of his secondary pitches have bat-missing action. I think he’ll either end up in a strikeout-heavy, five-and-dive role or become a vicious multi-inning reliever. (Fall Instructional League)”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 18, 2021, 11:48 AM Post
Global Moderator
Couple other Brewers tidbits from the FanGraphs Top 100 chat yesterday...

MB: Can you talk more about Ashby being the top Brewers prospect? Wasn’t expecting that.

Eric A Longenhagen: Sure. Turang was a fairly late cut from the list. He and Ashby were very close on the ordinal rankings. I think Turang has a shot to be a 50 based on his glove and OBP skills, but I think there’s real risk of him just getting blown away by velo at the top of the zone because of how deep those hands load, and that his “patience” may by passivity. So he fell out but you could argue him as a 50.

Eric A Longenhagen: Garrett Mitchell still has his pre-draft 45+ FV grade. Basically he’s Travis Swaggerty (speed, CF, raw power, not sure if he’ll get to it in games) just several levels behind Swag.

Eric A Longenhagen: Ashby was nasty in the Fall. If you put him in Milwaukee’s bullpen tomorrow, I bet he’d be awesome in a leveraged role, and he has a long-term chance to start as a strikeout-heavy five and dive type

Eric A Longenhagen: and I’ll just take that guy rather than bet on Mitchell’s swing changing

Keith P.: Thanks for your work, Eric. How close was Hedbert Perez to your Top 100 and do you see him as a threat to make the list next year?

Eric A Longenhagen: Not that close, he’ll be a 40+ FV for me this offseason. LF only, 30 arm. Chance for hit/power combo, tho. Saw him a handful of times in the Fall and thought he was pretty interesting, just not a beast.

Small & Mitchell also both listed in the Picks to Click article published today...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/picks-to-cl ... 2-top-100/

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 18, 2021, 12:46 PM Post
The write-ups this winter on Ashby and Kelly are really exciting. Can’t wait to see how they perform this summer.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2021, 8:17 AM Post
sveumrules said:

MB: Can you talk more about Ashby being the top Brewers prospect? Wasn’t expecting that.

Eric A Longenhagen: Sure. Turang was a fairly late cut from the list. He and Ashby were very close on the ordinal rankings. I think Turang has a shot to be a 50 based on his glove and OBP skills, but I think there’s real risk of him just getting blown away by velo at the top of the zone because of how deep those hands load, and that his “patience” may by passivity. So he fell out but you could argue him as a 50.

Eric A Longenhagen: Garrett Mitchell still has his pre-draft 45+ FV grade. Basically he’s Travis Swaggerty (speed, CF, raw power, not sure if he’ll get to it in games) just several levels behind Swag.

Eric A Longenhagen: Ashby was nasty in the Fall. If you put him in Milwaukee’s bullpen tomorrow, I bet he’d be awesome in a leveraged role, and he has a long-term chance to start as a strikeout-heavy five and dive type

Eric A Longenhagen: and I’ll just take that guy rather than bet on Mitchell’s swing changing

Keith P.: Thanks for your work, Eric. How close was Hedbert Perez to your Top 100 and do you see him as a threat to make the list next year?

Eric A Longenhagen: Not that close, he’ll be a 40+ FV for me this offseason. LF only, 30 arm. Chance for hit/power combo, tho. Saw him a handful of times in the Fall and thought he was pretty interesting, just not a beast.

Small & Mitchell also both listed in the Picks to Click article published today...

“30 arm” for Hedbert is shocking, since we’ve been seeing 50-60 on his arm since Ben Badler originally wrote about him...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2021, 9:47 AM Post
Smichaelis9 said:
sveumrules said:

“30 arm” for Hedbert is shocking, since we’ve been seeing 50-60 on his arm since Ben Badler originally wrote about him...

Right here is the reason I try to look at multiple prospect reports per player. My hope is to see at least 4 (hopefully 5 or more) different reports/ rankings for a player & a farm system.

Perhaps the day Hedbert was seen he had a bad day or made a couple poor throws. Or he had a great day and made every play & throw possible. I would rather believe multiple reports indicating something good (or bad) for a player then bank on 1 report/ ranking.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Misc. Offseason Brewers Prospect & Farm System Rankings (for 2021)

Posted: February 19, 2021, 9:56 AM Post
I always get a bang out of these Farm System ratings, not that they're wrong but because they are so arbitrary. Is Milwaukee 28th because they have no blue chippers on the cusp of the major leagues, or is there a general lack of measurable talent up and down?

Hypothetically speaking, what if Feliciano, Turang and Aaron Ashby all go out and burn up AA, is the Brewers system going to suddenly jump 15 spots going into 2022 because they will then have 3 potential impact prospects at AAA on the cusp of the majors?

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Misc. Offseason Brewers Prospect & Farm System Rankings (for 2021)

Posted: February 19, 2021, 10:02 AM Post
Jopal78! said:
I always get a bang out of these Farm System ratings, not that they're wrong but because they are so arbitrary. Is Milwaukee 28th because they have no blue chippers on the cusp of the major leagues, or is there a general lack of measurable talent up and down?

Hypothetically speaking, what if Feliciano, Turang and Aaron Ashby all go out and burn up AA, is the Brewers system going to suddenly jump 15 spots going into 2022 because they will then have 3 potential impact prospects at AAA on the cusp of the majors?

I think it all comes down to hype in the end. Many of these systems are great at hyping their minor league players. The Brewers don't go that route. I've personally been very pleased with what the system has produced the last few years. How many other teams in MLB have had a guy get ROY votes, then follow it up with a guy who actually won ROY?

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2021, 11:21 AM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
I think it all comes down to hype in the end. Many of these systems are great at hyping their minor league players. The Brewers don't go that route. I've personally been very pleased with what the system has produced the last few years. How many other teams in MLB have had a guy get ROY votes, then follow it up with a guy who actually won ROY?

Please don't put to much credence in the ROY vote:

Mike Hargrove over George Brett
Pat Listach over Kenny Lofton
Bob Hamelin over Manny Ramirez

All those happened and were wrong...

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 88 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test