LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  [ 88 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Misc. Offseason Brewers Prospect & Farm System Rankings (for 2021)

Offline  Re: Misc. Offseason Brewers Prospect & Farm System Rankings (for 2021)

Posted: February 19, 2021, 11:51 AM Post
MadThinker88 said:
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
I think it all comes down to hype in the end. Many of these systems are great at hyping their minor league players. The Brewers don't go that route. I've personally been very pleased with what the system has produced the last few years. How many other teams in MLB have had a guy get ROY votes, then follow it up with a guy who actually won ROY?

Please don't put to much credence in the ROY vote:

Mike Hargrove over George Brett
Pat Listach over Kenny Lofton
Bob Hamelin over Manny Ramirez

All those happened and were wrong...

Those are all very debatable. It isn't a "who ended up being better in hindsight" award, it is a Rookie of the Year award.

Also, that has absolutely nothing to do with the argument I was making. Both Hiura and Williams are huge contributors to the Brewers who have, at least so far, backed up the votes.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Misc. Offseason Brewers Prospect & Farm System Rankings (for 2021)

Posted: February 19, 2021, 12:03 PM Post
Global Moderator
Yeah, the Brewers had a higher ranked farm when Stearns & company got here, but a lot of that was guys like Brinson, Harrison, Diaz & Phillips who were dealt.

Hader, Woodruff, Burnes, Williams, Peralta, Suter, Houser, Rasmussen, Hiura & Arcia have all graduated in the Stearns era & all look to be in a position to contribute to the 2021 team. Pretty much the only bad eval so far is Grisham at this point, but hopefully Urias will get a chance to make some headway on that one this year.

Speaking of dark horses for 2021 how about Alec Bettinger? 157 K vs only 35 BB in 146 IP at AA as a 23 year old last time we saw him in 2019 & just checked in at #49 on the ZiPS Top 100. Before Chris Mitchell got hired by the Twins lots of Brewers showed up on his statistics based KATOH system, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers internal evals on Alec are higher than most public sources. Ashby also came in at #79...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/zips-2021-t ... prospects/

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 20, 2021, 8:42 AM Post
Global Moderator
Smichaelis9 said:
“30 arm” for Hedbert is shocking, since we’ve been seeing 50-60 on his arm since Ben Badler originally wrote about him...

Baseball America currently has a 60 grade on Hedbert’s arm. I respect Longenhagen a ton and he’s gotten in-person looks at Hedbert, but the same can be said for Ben Badler of Baseball America. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a wider grade gap between two individuals that have the sort of access to in-person looks and industry contacts that Longenhagen and Badler do. I’m truly perplexed on this one, and curious to see how it evolves. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 20, 2021, 12:22 PM Post
Regarding Hedbert & his throwing arm...

Prospect361 - nothing said (good or bad) about his arm / no rating given on the arm

PitcherList - nothing said (good or bad) about his arm / no rating given on the arm

Athlon Sports 2021 MLB preview - nothing said (good or bad) about his arm / no rating given on the arm

Keith Law (Athletic) - nothing said (good or bad) about his arm / no rating given on the arm. He does suggest that Hedbert is going to be a corner OF and will need to work to avoid getting too big for the position.

ESPN (Kiley McDaniel) - nothing said (good or bad) about his arm / no rating given on the arm. He does list Hedbert as CF..

Baseball Prospectus - nothing said (good or bad) about his arm / no rating given on the arm.

Anyone got access to any other sources for focused review??

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 20, 2021, 12:47 PM Post
I see that BP released its farm system rankings on 2/17/21
Article is behind the paywall. Here is what was written:

28. Milwaukee Brewers
Strengths: Upside dotted across their top 10
Weaknesses: It’s very shallow, even for a bottom five system

Like every list I have found so far, Tampa is #1 and Washington is #30

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 21, 2021, 4:07 PM Post
MadThinker88 said:
Regarding Hedbert & his throwing arm...

Prospect361 - nothing said (good or bad) about his arm / no rating given on the arm

PitcherList - nothing said (good or bad) about his arm / no rating given on the arm

Athlon Sports 2021 MLB preview - nothing said (good or bad) about his arm / no rating given on the arm

Keith Law (Athletic) - nothing said (good or bad) about his arm / no rating given on the arm. He does suggest that Hedbert is going to be a corner OF and will need to work to avoid getting too big for the position.

ESPN (Kiley McDaniel) - nothing said (good or bad) about his arm / no rating given on the arm. He does list Hedbert as CF..

Baseball Prospectus - nothing said (good or bad) about his arm / no rating given on the arm.

Anyone got access to any other sources for focused review??

MLB.com did have a 55 grade on his arm for last year's rankings, saying, " His accurate, above-average arm is a weapon up the middle and qualifies him to play either outfield corner." I'm curious if that will have changed going into the 2021 season, since they likely got some actual looks at him in instructs.

Prospects Live gave it a 60 grade and said, "Will uncork big time arm strength with ease. Gets good carry on his throws and doesn't need to sell out. Will rush throws on occasion and lose some accuracy, but overall the profile will play at all three outfield spots"

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 01, 2021, 9:48 PM Post
Any chance Small and Ashby skip AA and start the season in Nashville?

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Misc. Offseason Brewers Prospect & Farm System Rankings (for 2021)

Posted: March 05, 2021, 11:44 AM Post
Global Moderator
Over the last three seasons the Orioles have won an MLB worst 126 games. Things don't look much better this year as they are projected as a bottom 3/4 team for 2021 by both BPro & FanGraphs.

Seriously, go look at their roster, three years of being the worst team in MLB & you have to squint to see a foundational piece on the team. Maybe someone(s) out of the Austin Hays, Anthony Santander, Ryan Mountcastle trio turns into something(s)? It's not that different from reading the Indians roster in Major League.

What does three seasons of being the worst team in MLB get you? A prospect list like this...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-45-pros ... e-orioles/

Wow. Adley & Grayson sound like absolute studs. Of course we never had a chance to draft either on account of winning too many games. After that the O's farm isn't really all that much better than ours.

Doesn't seem like ends really justify the means to this point, maybe in a couple two tree more years.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  [ 88 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test