LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  [ 656 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

DDSM (Double Diamond Sports Management)

Offline  Re: DDSM (Double Diamond Sports Management)
Posted: February 10, 2018, 11:45 PM Post
LouisEly said:
SRB said:
Most of the people disagreeing with agent39 in this thread seem to be missing the point. The issue is not Eric Hosmer failing to secure a 10-year megacontract, it's that there are "lower tier" free agents who are getting stonewalled by teams in a manner that is evidently very suspicious to both the agents and the players/union

No, I think the opposite - the point is that, to quote an infamous poster in other threads, "you don't spend your nickels on gumballs when you think you can get a candy bar". You don't sign the lower tier guys if you think you have a decent shot at a Darvish, JD Martinez, Hosmer, etc.

For example - just throwing names out there, don't judge the names or $ amounts - why would you sign Jose Bautista for a hope-he-bounces-back 1-year $6M deal when you have an offer out for JD Martinez? Those guys play the same position, so you can't sign Bautista until you know you can't get Martinez. Why would you sign a Mike Napoli or Mark Reynolds on a one-year deal if you have a legitimate offer on Eric Hosmer? Why would you sign a Jaime Garcia on a one-year bounce-back deal when you have offers out on Arrietta or Lynn? You don't, until you those guys make a decision.

Also, to quote Doug Melvin, "Free agents know where they want to play."

There are like 3 teams in baseball that are seriously considering JD Martinez or Eric Hosmer. This argument makes no sense to me. I guess it will be interesting to see if things move now that Darvish has signed.

DHonks said:
SRB said:
This argument would be weird even if MLB weren't a de facto monopoly that uses its power to force players to give up 6+ years of their careers to teams they have no choice over at prices they have no control over.

This is a bunk argument. MLB and the MLBPA have collectively bargained these terms. This isn't a one-sided negotiation like teachers here in AZ, this is fairly bargained. It's the most fair and prosperous free agency model in all of sports as well. European soccer, the NFL, the NBA, and the NHL...sorry, their free agency models are nowhere near as generous as MLB.

There's nothing "fair" about it when one side in the transaction operates a legally sanctioned monopoly. The MLBPA has done a great job getting players paid, I don't disagree, but to act like the teams do not have 95% of the leverage is to deny reality.

And yes, the MLB free agency model is generous to compensate for the 7-year-team-control model. Which is why the union and the agents are so angry at their perception that owners are deliberately trying to restrain the free agency model!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 11, 2018, 1:52 AM Post
MadThinker88 said:
DHonks said:
SRB said:
This argument would be weird even if MLB weren't a de facto monopoly that uses its power to force players to give up 6+ years of their careers to teams they have no choice over at prices they have no control over.

This is a bunk argument. MLB and the MLBPA have collectively bargained these terms. This isn't a one-sided negotiation like teachers here in AZ, this is fairly bargained. It's the most fair and prosperous free agency model in all of sports as well. European soccer, the NFL, the NBA, and the NHL...sorry, their free agency models are nowhere near as generous as MLB.

I know some on this board would disagree with you DHonks, but I would not be part of that group. The CBA was fairly bargained. The merits on how well each side did can (& will be) debated over and over.

That said, in the next round of negotiations for the players to get changes or concessions from the owners, they will need items to bargain with or areas they can agree to give back some ground. Each CBA is built upon the one before so there is always give and take.

Are there any areas you think the players would be able "to give" in order to receive either additional salary earlier in the career (in minors and the 6 control years) or earlier free agency or lessening of a penalized ceiling/ creation of a minimum floor???

The union should look at forming a MILBPA, with support and funding from the MLBPA. MLBPA is the strongest union the world has ever seen. They’ve never lost a labor dispute. As we’ve previously read, last time they were more interested in negotiating benefits, off days, etc than fighting for more pay. I’d like to see more guys qualify for the pension, a taxi squad (of 2-3 guys), the DH for all teams, a salary floor tied to performance (you can spend lower, but if you don’t win sufficiently you forfeit draft picks), the dropping of draft pick compensation in its current form (I’d prefer to see an NFL-like system where a team’s net roster churn results in extra picks from the league, not from a team), etc. I don’t feel sorry for most players in their early years like many others—they get $500k+ their first year before proving themselves. I wish MLB would tweak their process for years 2 and 3 for more transparency with auto-renewals, though. Arbitration or buying out years are powerful rewards for those that have good starts to their careers.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 11, 2018, 9:13 AM Post
SRB said:
LouisEly said:
SRB said:
Most of the people disagreeing with agent39 in this thread seem to be missing the point. The issue is not Eric Hosmer failing to secure a 10-year megacontract, it's that there are "lower tier" free agents who are getting stonewalled by teams in a manner that is evidently very suspicious to both the agents and the players/union

No, I think the opposite - the point is that, to quote an infamous poster in other threads, "you don't spend your nickels on gumballs when you think you can get a candy bar". You don't sign the lower tier guys if you think you have a decent shot at a Darvish, JD Martinez, Hosmer, etc.

For example - just throwing names out there, don't judge the names or $ amounts - why would you sign Jose Bautista for a hope-he-bounces-back 1-year $6M deal when you have an offer out for JD Martinez? Those guys play the same position, so you can't sign Bautista until you know you can't get Martinez. Why would you sign a Mike Napoli or Mark Reynolds on a one-year deal if you have a legitimate offer on Eric Hosmer? Why would you sign a Jaime Garcia on a one-year bounce-back deal when you have offers out on Arrietta or Lynn? You don't, until you those guys make a decision.

Also, to quote Doug Melvin, "Free agents know where they want to play."

There are like 3 teams in baseball that are seriously considering JD Martinez or Eric Hosmer. This argument makes no sense to me. I guess it will be interesting to see if things move now that Darvish has signed.

Bolding the part that you missed.

What teams want to be in on Harper, Machado, or the other free agents next offseason? Why give a 2-3 year deal to a player when you want those guys? The point is, why spend money on lower-level free agents when you really want the top-tier guys at that position?

The analogy here is the Milwaukee Bucks. This year they are spending a combined $41.3M on Dellavedova, Snell, Teletovic, and Henson. Wouldn't they be better served spending $30M on a star player, two journeymen and a rookie? The Bucks spent their nickels on gumballs when what they need is a candy bar.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 12, 2018, 12:06 PM Post
Global Moderator
*Challenge Flag Thrown*

Guys, there is a perfectly good thread on collusion and baseball finances going on in the Major League forum.

Given that this thread is more intended to be on DDSM and their Brewer players, I would ask that you take the discussion to the other thread.

Thanks,
CWH

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 12, 2018, 2:07 PM Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 329194002/

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: DDSM (Double Diamond Sports Management)
Posted: February 12, 2018, 3:05 PM Post
agent39 said:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/02/12/mlb-union-camp-free-agents/329194002/

Looking simply at opening day 2017 salaries vs current projected salaries for 2018...average payroll for OD 2017 was $138 million vs current 2018 projections with an average of $120 million. The $120 million doesn't include the Cubs signing Darvish, it is also missing some arbitration numbers and a large number of league minimum salaries. Factor those things in, and many of these free agents inevitably signing for big $/year amounts...average opening day payrolls will probably go up by a decent amount when all is said and done.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 18, 2018, 7:31 PM Post
Will be in mil fri....doing standup fri 11 pm too

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 23, 2018, 2:35 AM Post
https://twitter.com/JoshuaKusnick/statu ... 42560?s=19

This was the best trip of my life. You fans are special and JJ and I love you all!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 05, 2018, 10:45 AM Post
Follow me on twitter jj game worn jersey giveaway!!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2018, 3:25 PM Post
Did you represent anyone who were drafted this year?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 13, 2018, 6:52 AM Post
He made it!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 13, 2018, 6:53 AM Post
Thanks for being so supportive of jj and even me the last 11 (jesus) years since my 1st post

Love you guys

J

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 13, 2018, 10:00 PM Post
Global Moderator
We love you too, Josh - when will you be back in Milwaukee?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 28, 2018, 8:20 PM Post
What a year!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 28, 2018, 8:29 PM Post
Check out @JoshuaKusnick’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/JoshuaKusnick/statu ... 15168?s=09

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 12, 2018, 6:44 AM Post
I just wanted to thank you Josh for all that you have contributed to the forum. You've been able to provide insight and analysis that we wouldn't be privy to otherwise. I hope you are having a heck of a time!

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  [ 656 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test