LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

[ 10 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What's Parras future?

Offline  What's Parras future?

Posted: June 20, 2007, 1:59 AM Post
I read another post where a poster said "The Brewers no longer viewed Manny Para as a big league stater because of past injuries". I hadn't heard that anywhere before. Has anyone else heard that?

If that's the case, is it common for a team to start a pitcher in the minors, knowing they plan on using him out of the pen in the bigs?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 20, 2007, 5:19 AM Post
Most all prospects work as starters in the minors to get innings.

Parra is now viewed as a relief guy, as many feel his arm would never handle the workload of a 200 IP campaign.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 20, 2007, 9:41 AM Post
I think he was asking for a link where a Brewer front office guy said something of that nature.

I would tend to believe they see him as a reliever too, but I would also be curious to see the exact quote from whoever said that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 20, 2007, 10:47 AM Post
Kind of off topic, but does anyone know what the Twins' plans are for Liriano? From what I've heard, they still figure he will be a starter once he comes back from his injury. I guess I just don't understand why Parra couldn't do the same once he gets to the Major Leagues.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 20, 2007, 11:41 AM Post
On the Nashville broadcast the other day the announcer was talking about a conversation he had with a Brewer scout. The scout told him he didn't know if parra's shoulder could handle starting longterm, but was also worried if Parra was a good fit for relief, as it takes him along time to warmup.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 20, 2007, 12:06 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Another thing to think about for Manny this year is that his career high IP in a single year in the minors is not quite 140, and that was 4 years ago in Beloit. I'd guess that would be his inning max this year, and maybe not even that high (possibly 120?). This means he'll have to either be shut down or moved to the bullpen sometime in early August.

X, that's interesting about Manny taking a long time to warm up. Maybe it could help Ned's bullpen strategy, knowing he'd have to be thinking about these things a few innings ahead of time. :) It could also be that since Manny has never really relieved, he's not used to warming up more quickly, and that's something that could come with time.

I'd still like to see if he could start before giving up on that option. He still has one option remaining after this year, so I'd like to see him used as a starter again in AAA next year assuming he doesn't break with the big club as a reliever.

@YouKnowAndThat | Almost, Tim Dell

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 21, 2007, 2:21 AM Post
Apparently the Brewers just moved Dillard out of the rotation in Nashville, because they see him as a reliever in the bigs. If that's the case, it looks like they must still think Parra has a chance at starting in the bigs or they would have moved him too. It looks more like the Brewers want to continue to increase his innings pitched from past years and see if it could still work out.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 25, 2007, 3:13 PM Post
His future looks a little brighter. He pitched 9 decent innings tonight.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 25, 2007, 5:39 PM Post
A starting pitcher no doubt after tonight's perfect game.

Personally I love Villy in his dominant set up role, and would like to see Gallardo and Parra take over for Bush & Vargas in 2008 and beyond.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 12:01 AM Post
Dillard could be a good starter - and you can never have too many starters.

If they have moved him to the pen, it's a bad move, IMHO.

Quote   Reply 
 [ 10 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test