LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  [ 162 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017-05-01: Brewers (Davies) at Cardinals (Wacha) 7:15 PM CDT [Brewers win, 7-5, 10 innings]

Offline  Re: 2017-05-01: Brewers (Davies) at Cardinals (Wacha) 7:15 PM CDT [Brewers win, 7-5, 10 innings]
Posted: May 02, 2017, 2:02 PM Post
It doesn't even need to be about 2018. There's no reason Shaw can't help us in 2019, 2020, and even beyond if he proves to be the best option. Shaw is not a 34 year old on the last leg of his career. The guy is 27 and under club control for 5 seasons. For someone who is already at least an average MLB regular, that is a good thing.

I want Stearns to take the best deal, and he DID get a pretty nice prospect too. Shaw is also a nice piece. The best deal isn't always going to be a top 75 prospect in High A ball. Controllable talent at all levels.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2017-05-01: Brewers (Davies) at Cardinals (Wacha) 7:15 PM CDT
Posted: May 02, 2017, 4:26 PM Post
topper09er said:
trwi7 said:
My point in bringing up Kershaw, Lincecum and Scherzer wasn't to say I knew they were going to be Cy Young winners or anything like that, it was to point out that there was no chance the Brewers could draft them because of where they picked to point out the absurdity of the argument that "you can get talent anywhere in the draft."

And my counter point was that if you had the #1 pick all of those players were available but were not drafted, so unless you have become the first person in history who can actually project high school pitchers the 5-10 position swing in draft slots is totally meaningless. The best player could easily be the best "prospect" or the 5th "prospect" or the 20th "prospect". The Dodgers were lucky to have the 7th pick instead of the first that year. So who is to say the Brewers wont be lucky to have the 15th pick rather than the 10th pick next year.

You're using anecdotes to argue about something measurable. No one is arguing that the #1 pick, or #2 or #5 or whatever, is a sure thing. The argument, for me, is that over a run of drafts, a difference of five, ten, or fifteen draft slots matters some, quite a bit, and a lot, respectively. Under present rules the slot money adds to the difference.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  [ 162 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply