LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 77 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017-08-10: Twins (Enns) at Brewers (Davies) 7:10 PM CDT

Offline  Re: 2017-08-10: Twins (Enns) at Brewers (Davies) 7:10 PM CDT

Posted: August 10, 2017, 9:12 PM Post
I loved the Thornburg trade, hate the Cooper trade. I don't think he's going to be a huge homer guy but he works hard and has learned to hit the ball the opposite way. Think this was last night...Garrett Cooper had a historic night on Wednesday, becoming the first Yankees rookie first baseman to collect four hits in a single game since Joe Collins did so back on May 21, 1950.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 10, 2017, 9:26 PM Post
And Chad Moeller hit for the cycle. It happens. Anyone can have a big night. Even a big month or chunk of a season. I'll wait longer than a couple weeks to see if this was a good trade or not. Question is, what could have been done differently with Cooper? Nobody has answered that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 10, 2017, 10:29 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
And Chad Moeller hit for the cycle. It happens. Anyone can have a big night. Even a big month or chunk of a season. I'll wait longer than a couple weeks to see if this was a good trade or not. Question is, what could have been done differently with Cooper? Nobody has answered that.

I did. Could have moved Jesus or Thames. It wouldn't of been unheard of to do this off-season. Maybe Cooper will stink but right now the way Thames is playing, I would take my chances on the 26 year old if this is a true rebuild.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 10, 2017, 11:08 PM Post
14 games and counting under 5runs scored in a game. You read that right.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2017, 7:42 AM Post
Brew4U said:
FVBrewerFan said:

I did. Could have moved Jesus or Thames. It wouldn't of been unheard of to do this off-season. Maybe Cooper will stink but right now the way Thames is playing, I would take my chances on the 26 year old if this is a true rebuild.

I'm not happy with thames either but when are you proposing we should have traded him? I'm off season he had no track record, in April he was God, then he's been average or crap since. Jesus is still pretty good, probably better than Cooper in long term.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2017, 8:09 AM Post
MoreTrife said:
Brew4U said:
FVBrewerFan said:

I'm not happy with thames either but when are you proposing we should have traded him? I'm off season he had no track record, in April he was God, then he's been average or crap since. Jesus is still pretty good, probably better than Cooper in long term.

Well if Cooper was still here and Thames had a good final 50 games of the season, you could've traded him this offseason. I suppose you still could and stick with Aguilar if you want to but the defense just isn't very good with him. Like I said, I don't even know if I want Thames traded but he's headed over thirty, hasn't been all too productive lately and seems to get dinged up a bit. We already have that (injuries) with Braun who is the superior player in just about every way. Having two of them, might not bold well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2017, 8:15 AM Post
I can't believe I'm doing this already on such a tiny sample to debunk some silly fans putting Cooper in Cooperstown already (lol), but he's struck out a ton, has barely taken a walk, and his BABIP is .500. If his first 40 ABs suggest what he is for the future, it's a guy that is not on an MLB roster.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2017, 9:08 AM Post
bill hAll Star said:
I can't believe I'm doing this already on such a tiny sample to debunk some silly fans putting Cooper in Cooperstown already (lol), but he's struck out a ton, has barely taken a walk, and his BABIP is .500. If his first 40 ABs suggest what he is for the future, it's a guy that is not on an MLB roster.

Boy, this is petty and demeaning towards people just discussing the fact that we may have given up a good player for a not so good one. I don't think I've seen anyone talk Cooperstown. But you sure put all these people in their place. Good job!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2017, 9:17 AM Post
I dont think anyone mentioned cooperstown, but how many guys in the brewers minor league organization have a career batting average over .300...Cooper was one. Bottom line is the guy can hit.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2017, 9:21 AM Post
Aguilar averaged .271 in his minor league career.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2017, 9:38 AM Post
dacbrewers said:
I dont think anyone mentioned cooperstown, but how many guys in the brewers minor league organization have a career batting average over .300...Cooper was one. Bottom line is the guy can hit.

I'd be willing to bet 70-80% of the current Brewers roster would have a .300 minors batting average if they were allowed to spend their age 25 and 26 seasons and a majority of their minors career in Colorado Springs and the PCL.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2017, 1:01 PM Post
Seriously doubt that...Broxton batted .256 in minors, Santana batted .282 in minors. Cooper spent a total of 1 year in the Springs, don't see how that's a majority of his career.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2017, 1:07 PM Post
It's interesting how nobody brought up Cooper a few days ago when he was hitting .240/.269/.440.

Again, the only time in his career prior to this season where he posted an .800 OPS was 70 plate appearances in rookie ball in 2013, 41 plate appearances combined between rookie and A ball in 2014, and 36 plate appearances in AA in 2015.

He's going to be 27 in a few months, we didn't give up some top prospect for nothing. We gave up maybe a decent bat at best for maybe a decent reliever at best.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2017, 1:14 PM Post
dacbrewers said:
Seriously doubt that...Broxton batted .256 in minors, Santana batted .282 in minors. Cooper spent a total of 1 year in the Springs, don't see how that's a majority of his career.

31% of Cooper's at bats in the minors came in either Colorado Springs or in rookie ball (Arizona or Helena) when he was an advanced college player teeing off on 18-20 year olds. Broxton hit .287 with a .924 OPS as a 26 year old in Colorado Springs last year.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2017, 1:39 PM Post
trwi7 said:
dacbrewers said:

31% of Cooper's at bats in the minors came in either Colorado Springs or in rookie ball (Arizona or Helena) when he was an advanced college player teeing off on 18-20 year olds. Broxton hit .287 with a .924 OPS as a 26 year old in Colorado Springs last year.

Too add to that, Broxton, Sogard, Brinson, De Jesus, Bandy, Phillips, Orf all hit well over .300 in Colorado Springs this year and I'd expect all of them to not do that in the majors.

Go and look at basically the entire Rockies roster. All of their .300 hitters are .270 hitters on the road (sometimes worse).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2017, 6:03 PM Post
Personally I think Cooper is better than Aguilar or Thames. We will see who has the longer career. You can go ask any of the AAA players who the best hitter on the team was and all of them will answer Cooper...not santana, not broxton, not sogard, not dejesus, not phillips, not bandy, not susac.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 12, 2017, 12:57 PM Post
dacbrewers said:
Personally I think Cooper is better than Aguilar or Thames. We will see who has the longer career. You can go ask any of the AAA players who the best hitter on the team was and all of them will answer Cooper...not santana, not broxton, not sogard, not dejesus, not phillips, not bandy, not susac.

Or maybe they'll say Ivan DeJesus.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 77 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply