LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  [ 154 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017-08-23: Brewers (Garza) at Giants (Moore) 2:45 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 4-2]

Offline  Re: 2017-08-23: Brewers (Garza) at Giants (Moore) 2:45 PM CDT
Posted: August 23, 2017, 10:29 PM Post
Global Moderator
WoahSolvdd said:
I rather be a team like the BoSox who dont hit the HR and manufacture runs and win games then a HR reliant team.

Entering today the Red Sox (with a DH) have a team wRC+ of 94 & have scored 608 runs, compared to a team wRC+ of 93 for the Brewers (with pitchers hitting) & 587 runs scored for the Crew.

On the other side the Red Sox have a 3.67 ERA (facing mostly lineups with 9 actual hitters) compared to a 4.13 ERA for the Brewers (facing mostly lineups with 8 actual hitters).

I don't believe the difference between the two teams records has very much to do with the style of offense they employ.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2017-08-23: Brewers (Garza) at Giants (Moore) 2:45 PM CDT
Posted: August 23, 2017, 10:47 PM Post
A bit of good news tonight as the Diamondbacks lost to the Mets and the Royals rallied late to beat the Rockies, so no ground was lost in the WC race.

The Cubs did win, but to be honest, I'm not paying much attention to them. Sorry guys, in my opinion the division title just isn't happening. The wild card however is getting closer, and actually we're now closer in the standings to the Rockies than the Cubs.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 23, 2017, 11:06 PM Post
WoahSolvdd said:

Your right HR or bust.

Very intelligent, how about the Royals Cards Giants ? Ever heard of them?

Maybe don't patronize someone about intelligence if you can't use contractions correctly.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 24, 2017, 1:47 AM Post
adambr2 said:
A bit of good news tonight as the Diamondbacks lost to the Mets and the Royals rallied late to beat the Rockies, so no ground was lost in the WC race.

The Cubs did win, but to be honest, I'm not paying much attention to them. Sorry guys, in my opinion the division title just isn't happening. The wild card however is getting closer, and actually we're now closer in the standings to the Rockies than the Cubs.

That's the great thing about chasing 3 teams with no one to leap frog and you only have to catch one. If you win, you're probably gaining ground on somebody and if you lose you're probably not losing ground to everybody.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 24, 2017, 5:43 AM Post
The Red Sox also don't play small ball, they just hit for a good average. There offense was way better last year when they actually hit a lot of HR. Almost nothing you are saying about small ball is true. The Royals won the world series on the back of a dominant bullpen and getting really hot at the right time. The Giants world series were largely about dominant starting pitching but 2 of the 3 were also about one guy getting crazy hot and hitting a bunch of HR. The Cardinals have never been a small ball team.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 24, 2017, 8:30 AM Post
adambr2 said:

I'm still optimistic on our chances to catch the cubs. Right now is pretty much the optimal time for them to gain ground on us from a schedule standpoint. Last week and this week, they faced bums while we faced solid competition. Now we face a Dodgers team missing 3 key players while they face an awful Phillies team. In theory, after this weekend we will have better opportunities to gain ground. Also their spat of injuries certainly isn't helping their cause. Lester, Russell, Contreras, and now Bryant. And their depth/farm are both awful, so they don't have much for options to replace these guys. They feel kinda like the Brewer teams from 5-6 years ago that had some very poor players taking meaningful atbats due to lack of depth.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2017-08-23: Brewers (Garza) at Giants (Moore) 2:45 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 4-2]
Posted: August 24, 2017, 9:24 AM Post
I think it's still possible. Yea we're frustrated by the 2/3 at SF. But the team overall has been playing well since the MN dumpster fire. They're 3-3 on this trip and with LAD depleted a bit, need to find a way to get 2 there and absolutely no way they can allow a sweep.

However, next week the Cubs continue with Pit/ATL while we get STL and WAS, so still in their favor. This 3ish lead could be 5-6 before we know it which makes it really tough. But with 7 games left vs them if you can hand around 3 then anything is possible. But they need something to start breaking their way pretty soon for that to happen.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2017-08-23: Brewers (Garza) at Giants (Moore) 2:45 PM CDT
Posted: August 24, 2017, 10:20 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
adambr2 said:

I'm still optimistic on our chances to catch the cubs. Right now is pretty much the optimal time for them to gain ground on us from a schedule standpoint. Last week and this week, they faced bums while we faced solid competition. Now we face a Dodgers team missing 3 key players while they face an awful Phillies team. In theory, after this weekend we will have better opportunities to gain ground. Also their spat of injuries certainly isn't helping their cause. Lester, Russell, Contreras, and now Bryant. And their depth/farm are both awful, so they don't have much for options to replace these guys. They feel kinda like the Brewer teams from 5-6 years ago that had some very poor players taking meaningful atbats due to lack of depth.

That's just it, it's pretty likely that 3.5 will be 5 or 6 by the end of the month with the schedules. While it's still theoretically possible to make that up in September, their schedule doesn't get any more difficult. While they aren't the 100+ win team from last year they're still too good IMO to go into a huge funk in September against a soft schedule enough to get back in it. We'll likely be in a position where we need to go 6-1 against them to rest of the way to have a shot and I just don't see that happening. Injuries will hurt, but not enough to send them into the big tailspin that we need.

I'm a lot less of a believer in the Rockies and Diamondbacks and as long as someone else doesn't get hot and catch us, we only need one of them to falter, and neither is sitting on a really easy schedule.

At this point all we can do anyway is control what we can control. I would guess that would not be good enough to win the division but would be enough to sneak into a 1 game WC playoff.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2017-08-23: Brewers (Garza) at Giants (Moore) 2:45 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 4-2]
Posted: August 24, 2017, 10:32 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
I think it's still possible. Yea we're frustrated by the 2/3 at SF. But the team overall has been playing well since the MN dumpster fire. They're 3-3 on this trip and with LAD depleted a bit, need to find a way to get 2 there and absolutely no way they can allow a sweep.

However, next week the Cubs continue with Pit/ATL while we get STL and WAS, so still in their favor. This 3ish lead could be 5-6 before we know it which makes it really tough. But with 7 games left vs them if you can hand around 3 then anything is possible. But they need something to start breaking their way pretty soon for that to happen.

Well, they really needed to find a way to get 2 in San Francisco. That was their time to make hay, and they didn't. I'm not saying we'll get swept (though it wouldn't surprise me), but it's almost impossible for me to see us taking 2 in L.A. This isn't like a series in Colorado where maybe if things break right we can take it. The Dodgers are that good. They haven't lost a series since early June against the Nationals.

I realize anything can happen. But the odds really are very low.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2017-08-23: Brewers (Garza) at Giants (Moore) 2:45 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 4-2]
Posted: August 24, 2017, 10:48 AM Post
Yea for sure. If they'd have gotten the 2 wins in SF then you just take your 1 in LA and call it a good enough trip. Now they need 2 in LA to make up for SF.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 24, 2017, 12:15 PM Post
It is disappointing we dropped 2 in SF but the best thing is we have 7 more games against the Cubs so it ain't over yet.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 24, 2017, 3:29 PM Post
adambr2 said:
KeithStone53151 said:

That's just it, it's pretty likely that 3.5 will be 5 or 6 by the end of the month with the schedules. While it's still theoretically possible to make that up in September, their schedule doesn't get any more difficult. While they aren't the 100+ win team from last year they're still too good IMO to go into a huge funk in September against a soft schedule enough to get back in it. We'll likely be in a position where we need to go 6-1 against them to rest of the way to have a shot and I just don't see that happening. Injuries will hurt, but not enough to send them into the big tailspin that we need.

I'm a lot less of a believer in the Rockies and Diamondbacks and as long as someone else doesn't get hot and catch us, we only need one of them to falter, and neither is sitting on a really easy schedule.

At this point all we can do anyway is control what we can control. I would guess that would not be good enough to win the division but would be enough to sneak into a 1 game WC playoff.

I think the Cubs and Dodgers are battered enough that it might only be 4 with an entire month to go. I really think we could win 2 of 3 against LA with them weakened a bit, and the cubs could lose 2 of the next 4 with a battered roster. They have 7 vs us, 7 vs st louis, and 7 vs pittsburgh down the stretch. Not a single one of those games will be easy(pitt is in it enough).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 24, 2017, 5:31 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
Yea for sure. If they'd have gotten the 2 wins in SF then you just take your 1 in LA and call it a good enough trip. Now they need 2 in LA to make up for SF.

I think this road trip has already evened out. Had we played SF before Colorado we would've been saying we need 2 against the Rockies to make up for it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 24, 2017, 7:59 PM Post
Cubs lose. Down to three. For now.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  [ 154 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply