LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 155 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017-09-19: Brewers (Anderson) at Pirates (Williams) 6:05 PM CDT [Brewers record 81st win, 1-0]

Offline  2017-09-19: Brewers (Anderson) at Pirates (Williams) 6:05 PM CDT [Brewers record 81st win, 1-0]

Posted: September 19, 2017, 1:35 PM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Board Administrator
Playing the Pirates on International Talk Like A Pirate Day. Y'arrr.

BREWERS (80-70)
1B Eric Thames (L)
2B Neil Walker (S)
LF Ryan Braun (R)
3B Travis Shaw (L)
RF Domingo Santana (R)
C Stephen Vogt (L)
SS Orlando Arcia (R)
CF Brett Phillips (L)
RHP Chase Anderson (R)

PIRATES (68-83)
2B Adam Frazier (L)
LF Starling Marte (R)
CF Andrew McCutchen (R)
1B Josh Bell (S)
RF Gregory Polanco (L)
SS Jordy Mercer (R)
C Elias Diaz (R)
3B Max Moroff (S)
RHP Trevor Williams (R)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2017-09-19: Brewers (Anderson) at Pirates (Williams) 6:05 PM CDT

Posted: September 19, 2017, 1:44 PM Post
Would still like to see Arcia or Phillips leading off vs. Thames. Think speed still kills at leadoff.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2017, 2:00 PM Post
newrivervalley said:
Would still like to see Arcia or Phillips leading off vs. Thames. Think speed still kills at leadoff.

Speed only kills if it gets on base. Neither of those two has done enough of that to warrant being atop the lineup yet.

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2017, 2:11 PM Post
Thames has been on fire lately and he's not exactly slow or anything. No qualms with him up there. This is probably the exact lineup I'd roll with today.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2017, 2:15 PM Post
I would like to see pina get a bit more playing time, but that's not a big concern. I care much less for Thames leading off. I would rather see him batting with men in base the way he's swinging it. Phillips sees a lot of pitches as well and is the logical candidate given these 8. It should not be arcia either. I like the 2-5 that we currently see. Today is must win with brault on the mound tomorrow

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2017, 2:42 PM Post
Yesterday CC was crazy for sitting Santana. Oh wait....he was resting his back. Now we're nitpicking where Thames bats in the line-up? Arguments that he's hot, if that's your argument why wouldn't you want him to have the best odds at getting more ABs? Braun, Shaw, and Santana have been hot enough too. A week or two ago nobody even wanted Thames in the line-up at all. I swear most of the gripes in here turn out to be flat out wrong. Yet rarely do I see someone own up to it, they just move on to the next complaint.

Can we try to at least wait until CC or a player actually does something stupid in the game before we start complaining?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2017, 3:01 PM Post
Yeah I get that Craig is playing R vs L matches with his lineups of late, but would prefer to see more Manny than Vogt

I am not Shea Vucinich

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2017, 3:26 PM Post
Better not walk Marte because that is a double with Vogt catching. So far this year he is 0-20 on SB attempts...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2017, 4:28 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
Yesterday CC was crazy for sitting Santana. Oh wait....he was resting his back. Now we're nitpicking where Thames bats in the line-up? Arguments that he's hot, if that's your argument why wouldn't you want him to have the best odds at getting more ABs? Braun, Shaw, and Santana have been hot enough too. A week or two ago nobody even wanted Thames in the line-up at all. I swear most of the gripes in here turn out to be flat out wrong. Yet rarely do I see someone own up to it, they just move on to the next complaint.

Can we try to at least wait until CC or a player actually does something stupid in the game before we start complaining?

Holy hell man. This is a message board and a game thread at that. It's called discussion. It can happen. Are people wrong? Sure. But people are right too. Either way, wowzers.

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2017-09-19: Brewers (Anderson) at Pirates (Williams) 6:05 PM CDT

Posted: September 19, 2017, 5:07 PM Post
I do not like seeing Vogt and his noodle arm behind the plate. Use him to pinch hit in a HR situation, but man, I cringe with him catching when a runner is on base.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2017, 5:13 PM Post
I was very surprised to see Vogt is only 5/32 in September. Had it in my head that he's still been hitting well. He did hit 385 in August though. Still its the right lefty, I'm used to it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2017, 5:20 PM Post
I really like Travis Shaw, he was a great acquisition and I hope he's here a long time. But he hasn't done much to rid himself of his Red Sox reputation as a first half player.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2017, 5:23 PM Post
Man, that arm is just pathetic... I wouldn't play him behind the plate, everything just means so much right now, and giving up a double for every single is just not going to cut it.

I wonder if taking 3rd will be in the heads of the Pirate base runners too? Why not?

Last edited by turborickey on September 19, 2017, 5:24 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2017, 5:23 PM Post
Vogt's bat is not good enough to justify starting him as much as we have with that noodle arm. Please hit a dinger tonight and prove me wrong, Stephen.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2017, 5:25 PM Post
I like this line-up, it is probably the best one we can throw out there EXCEPT for Vogt. His arm is just not acceptable in a playoff run...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2017, 5:27 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
I was very surprised to see Vogt is only 5/32 in September. Had it in my head that he's still been hitting well. He did hit 385 in August though. Still its the right lefty, I'm used to it.

No he had a terrible slump I believe early in September.

I do think the Vogt claim made sense at the time, but he's gotten more playing time than I would have hoped for. He's been useful enough for us but the honeymoon period is basically over.

His bat is okay but not good enough to justify his defensive shortcomings. I just hate watching him behind the plate. Anyone fast who reaches is an automatic double. It's frustrating. Even if Pina had a bad bat, which he doesn't, the gap between him and Vogt defensively is so large that there's no way it should ever turn into any kind of platoon.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2017, 5:27 PM Post
There's no reason Vogt should be playing multiple games in a row ahead of Pina. Not as bad as his defense is. Pina outshines him in every catagory and should've been the primary catcher from the start.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2017, 5:31 PM Post
PinaMadness said:
There's no reason Vogt should be playing multiple games in a row ahead of Pina. Not as bad as his defense is. Pina outshines him in every catagory and should've been the primary catcher from the start.

100% agreed!

This is a playoff push CC! Every game, every inning, ever runner on 1B matters, life or death...

Stupid move playing a no defense catcher based on which side of the plate he hits from.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2017, 5:33 PM Post
so, could Pina have done that? weak grounder to 2B.

This really burns me...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2017, 5:39 PM Post
turborickey said:
PinaMadness said:

100% agreed!

This is a playoff push CC! Every game, every inning, ever runner on 1B matters, life or death...

Stupid move playing a no defense catcher based on which side of the plate he hits from.

Yep. It's not quite as crazy as starting an aging Mark Kotsay in CF in the NLCS, but it's still not smart.

Counsell seems to love Vogt, but I'm not really sure why. He already has a good catcher that needs to play as much as possible without wearing him out.

Vogt according to both Baseball reference and Fangraphs is a -.6 WAR player. He is quite literally a worse player than an average AAA replacement catcher, by definition.

Like I said, he's done a few nice things for us since coming over. But there's a reason the A's were totally fine with just dumping him for free.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 155 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply