LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  [ 265 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017-09-20: Brewers (Wilkerson) at Pirates (Brault) 6:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 6-4]

Offline  Re: 2017-09-20: Brewers (Wilkerson) at Pirates (Brault) 6:05 PM CDT
Posted: September 21, 2017, 9:24 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
RoCoBrewfan said:
This is baseball. Sometimes you don't score runs.

This is the Brewers second half. Get guys on and then K, K, K. I generally hate the pressing excuse as to why guys aren't driving runners in but it's pretty obvious Braun, Shaw, and to a lesser extent Santana are. Both Braun and Shaw go up there swinging at anything close to the plate nowadays, very out of character.

This is spot on. It's amazing how often Braun has been swinging at the first pitch. Work the count and get YOUR pitch, don't swing at every strike or anything close. Trust your teammates to knock you in if they pitch around you.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2017, 9:34 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
I think counsel made a big time mistake pitching swarzak in the 8th. Hader would have been a reasonable option, otherwise as much as it sucks you gotta let drake or torres or Guerra pitch and give knebel a clean 9th. That way we would have at least had 1 of knebel swarzak available today. I would guess neither are available and hader might not be either. It absolutely would have been better if we cashed in one of our many chances at a big inning and made the decision easier for counsel

I agree with this, and I said so at the time. I don't care if Swarzak thinks he can pitch. He pitched two high stress innings on Tuesday and one on Monday. I'm not sure if he's going to be as effective as usual, and I don't want him completely spent for at least the first game of the Cubs series. And, I would only have used Knebel in a 9th inning save situation. After bringing him in in the 8th, which I wouldn't have done in the first place, I definitely wouldn't have used him in the 9th with the score tied. Guys like Torres and Drake have been on the major league roster all year and their going to have to get big outs sometime if you are playing 10 must win games in 10 days with only 3 starting pitchers (including one rookie) and a sputtering offense.

I would rather take my chances getting one inning against the Pirates offense than a couple against the Cubs.

Tonight's game and the rest of the Cubs series will determine how I remember last night's game. If the Cubs come out and blast the Brewers like they did in the infamous 2008 massacre, that game will just be a footnote. But, if they blow a late lead tonight because Swarzak and Knebel are unavailable or pitching on fumes, it will reinforce my opinion that Counsell took a bad risk last night.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2017, 9:47 AM Post
I don't have a problem with keeping Knebel on in the 9th. It seems reasonable to me that tired Knebel is better than fresh Torres or something. Once you've thrown him in the eighth, and he throws only eight (?) pitches, you're not saving all that much wear and tear by removing him. And, look, Diaz was able to hold up on a decent high fastball on 3-2. Not for that, he gets out of it. Of course, I can definitely see the point that bringing him on in the eighth is questionable too

I'm more with you on Swarzak. He looked pretty lucky to get the two outs he got, and even without that I still think you want at least him fresh for the Cubs. You can deal with Knebel and Hader down. Knebel, Hader, and Swarzak is much tougher. I probably give Hader the 8th and just see, but you're right. Maybe you trust Torres/Drake/Guerra/Garza at some point because even over ten games it feels like those guys are eventually going to have to get high leverage outs anyway.

So, a mixed review on CC, I guess. Of course, as people have said, might not matter a lick today. Hope it's all much ado because the Brewers are up 12-0 and Davies has an 80 pitch no-no heading into the ninth.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2017, 11:50 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
RoCoBrewfan said:

This is the Brewers second half. Get guys on and then K, K, K. I generally hate the pressing excuse as to why guys aren't driving runners in but it's pretty obvious Braun, Shaw, and to a lesser extent Santana are. Both Braun and Shaw go up there swinging at anything close to the plate nowadays, very out of character.

Okay at the same time, the pitching from the Brewers has been out of this world. It goes without saying that if the Brewers were also scoring at will, they'd be one of the top 3 teams in baseball. Obviously we'd all like to see that but it's simply not realistic to expect that or achieve it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2017, 1:48 PM Post
MilwaukeeDoctor said:
jerichoholicninja said:
RoCoBrewfan said:

Okay at the same time, the pitching from the Brewers has been out of this world. It goes without saying that if the Brewers were also scoring at will, they'd be one of the top 3 teams in baseball. Obviously we'd all like to see that but it's simply not realistic to expect that or achieve it.

Scoring at will is unrealistic, but if they could be scoring at something like the pace they did in the first half (instead of being the second lowest scoring team in the NL since the break) their position would be a lot better.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  [ 265 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply