LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next  [ 498 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017-09-21: Cubs (Arrieta) at Brewers (Davies) 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-3, 10 innings]

Offline  Re: 2017-09-21: Cubs (Arrieta) at Brewers (Davies) 7:10 PM CDT
Posted: September 21, 2017, 10:28 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Cravy was already DFAed this year, no one wanted him so he had to stick around.

I'm pretty sure he was trying to get released, still would have collected a check for the season. Surprised Brewers brass didn't have the balls to release him.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2017, 10:32 PM Post
Crazy was a lot better on the road this year in AAA than at home. I'm not convinced Drakeis better than him

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2017, 10:36 PM Post
I would absolutely fire Darnell Coles after the season.

It's bad enough how bad this offense has been in the second half, but their late inning approaches have been contagious across the lineup and have cost us so many games.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2017, 10:37 PM Post
rcc said:
Yes, worst loss of the year.

Drake and Broxton sucked tonight. Too bad Walker couldn't have scored on Travis' base hit in the ninth and this game would have been over and the guys could have celebrated. Instead, the Cubbies and Wade Davis win this thing.

Disappointing.

Yeah Drake and Broxton had bad games, but it should have never came down to that. The approach with RISP needs to change for anything positive to happen. It has been the main issue since the AS Break.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2017, 10:40 PM Post
dacbrewers said:
adambr2 said:
Cravy was already DFAed this year, no one wanted him so he had to stick around.

I'm pretty sure he was trying to get released, still would have collected a check for the season. Surprised Brewers brass didn't have the balls to release him.

Just keep him and send him to the instructional league for the whole year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2017, 10:40 PM Post
More importantly, why is Susac and Bandy on roster and not Jungmann. Arms are more valuable down the stretch.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2017, 10:41 PM Post
adambr2 said:

It's bad enough how bad this offense has been in the second half, but their late inning approaches have been contagious across the lineup and have cost us so many games.

It is somewhat of an industry trend. Swing for the fences, don't worry about strikeouts. It is one of the reasons the Dodgers won't win the WS. Just a faulty approach in big games

Pretty painful when Javier Baez of all people shortens up and makes contact and beats you

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2017, 10:47 PM Post
Look at their record in extra innings enough said

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2017, 10:49 PM Post
The RISp And overall clutch hitting is terrible and think Coles will be fired at the end of the season

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2017, 10:59 PM Post
brewmann04 said:
The RISp And overall clutch hitting is terrible and think Coles will be fired at the end of the season

It was a surprising hire to me. A Lifetime 245 hitter going to tell guys how to hit. Worked the first half of the year and then the wheels fell off the wagon and rolled into the manure pit.

I don't know what to do there. But you're right, the approach to hitting in late innings and extra innings has to change.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2017, 11:10 PM Post
Rockies lose. Good we're still right there, but we should have a 1 game lead at this point.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2017, 11:34 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Division is over, folks. Worth watching what the Rockies and Cardinals do but the Cubs have won the Central.

This is what happens when you continue to fail in clutch hitting situations time and time again. This is why we're still the Brewers.

Yup! Everyone please don't discuss the Central anymore. It's over.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 22, 2017, 3:22 AM Post
adambr2 said:

Santana's AB is the kind of ABs you get when your offense depends on the home run to score 90% of your runs. OK it's more like 48% but the point is still valid.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/ml ... 597754001/

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 22, 2017, 5:22 AM Post
PinaMadness said:
adambr2 said:

Santana's AB is the kind of ABs you get when your offense depends on the home run to score 90% of your runs. OK it's more like 48% but the point is still valid.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/ml ... 597754001/

I think you can have an offense that relies on a homer but also understands how to take a different approach in situations like last night. Santana is young, hopefully he learns. About all we can hope for there but if I were him it would've been hard to get to sleep last night.

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 22, 2017, 6:31 AM Post
Of the Brewers many losses this season, that was certainly one of them. That one really stings, should've had it. I still think we can bounce back with our relievers getting at least one day of rest and we are still right there for the wild card (thanks Padres/Giants). I'm sure the Rockies are kicking themselves just as bad as we are.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 22, 2017, 6:33 AM Post
Good comments across the board. I agree with the sentiments. The hitting approach late is lacking, big time. You have to second guess Coles at this point.

Stearns needs to really improve that pen. Drake, Torres, Hughes, and Barnes should all be replaced. Yes, that's a whopping four spots but we have cash.

It's a combination of both, late inning pitching, and lack of hitting both late and with RISP.

Santana has had a nice year and hit well but there's still meat on the bone for big improvement. All he needed was a sac fly there and he didn't approach it right. You could see it. Heck, a squeeze might have done it but he probably couldn't execute it.

Brinson and Phillips may add nice juice to the lineup.

And Braun needs to wake up from his slumber.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 22, 2017, 6:57 AM Post
Turned off the game after that debacle of a 9th inning knowing there was no way they were going to win and just wanted to read about it in the morning. Was on my phone and forgot the MLB App would keep me up to date. Good thing my wife was sleeping next to me and I wasn't watching it because I have no idea how I would have reacted to actually watching Bryant hit that homer. You can blame Drake for giving up the runs, or Walker for screwing up the ground ball, or Counsell for how he managed the bullpen but this whole second half has been on the offense. Just pathetic approaches. I have never seen a whole team crap their pants anytime they come up with runners on like the Brewers do. You can say fire Coles all you want but this on the players. I can guarantee Coles isn't telling them to swing at anything with runners on base.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 22, 2017, 7:05 AM Post
That was a really tough loss to take, but I gotta say that was one hell of a game. If I was a neutral I would have enjoyed it a lot!

Zach Davies really impressed me (again); he got through 7 innings, with a pitch count in shape to likely go the full 9 if we hadn't needed offense. Cubs made a lot of contact, sure, but a lot of it weak. But that seemed to me a consequence of Zach knowing what he needed to do; With a depleted bullpen and in the first game of a tough 4-game series it was more important than ever to go deep into the game. So less nibbling, more strikes, consciously attempting to keep the pitch count low. You run the risk of giving up hits that way, but it's a necessary risk. Now obviously I don't know if this was actually what he was going for, but it seemed that way to me. The more I see him pitch, the more I start to think he's going to have a very long career (Unless injuries derail that), as he can flat out pitch. While the stuff isn't overwhelming, the overall command, poise and overall skillset (Including fielding and at the plate) makes him valuable. Likely never going to be a big star, more like a candidate for "Best player to never make an All-Star game" lists, but that's still very good.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 22, 2017, 7:11 AM Post
You guys really expected to win the division? Yes we blew two games in two nights but the Cubs are much better. I've been chasing the WC for the last 2 months.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 22, 2017, 7:25 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
You guys really expected to win the division? Yes we blew two games in two nights but the Cubs are much better. I've been chasing the WC for the last 2 months.

I just never understand these comments or thinking. Like, it's baseball man. The best team doesn't always win. It happens a lot actually that the right mix of guys win. Are the Cubs more talented? Probably. But to just disregard what the Brewers players have been doing all year is crazy. This team was a play or two away from winning the last two games and being right there to possibly knock off the Cubs. Now they will have to win the next three to have a chance but still, with 10 games to play and they had every opportunity to do it. Having low expectations leads to low results. I'm glad the Brewers players don't think that way or we'd probably have 90 losses at this point.

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next  [ 498 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply