LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 106 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017-09-27: Reds (Bailey) at Brewers (Woodruff) 7:10 PM CDT (Brewers lose, 6-0)

Offline  Re: 2017-09-27: Reds (Bailey) at Brewers (Woodruff) 7:10 PM CDT

Posted: September 27, 2017, 7:08 PM Post
That should just about do it, for the game and the season. Our only hope is that Homer Bailey remembers he's Homer Bailey.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 27, 2017, 7:08 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Lefties now 4 for 6 off of Wang this year. A LOOGY pitcher he may not be.

He may just not be very good.

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 27, 2017, 7:09 PM Post
topper09er said:
So I guess in Counsell's mind this is not a must win game? Considering we already know the Rockies won what is he thinking using Wang and Torres?

I mean what can you do? Who can you put in right now? We've gotta cover 7 innings now, there are no good options to do that in the pen right now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 27, 2017, 7:11 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Plenty of time to chip away...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 27, 2017, 7:11 PM Post
It's not easy to say but I'd always rather have Torres in than Wang or Drake

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 27, 2017, 7:12 PM Post
bucks2281 said:
The bases are loaded and the season is on the line? And he brings in Carlos Torres.

Who's he gonna pitch? Swarzak? He blew Hader last night. Seem allergic to Guerra and Taylor Williams. Garza? Come on! They needed a big start and didn't get it. That isn't on Counsell.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 27, 2017, 7:13 PM Post
SomewhereInTime said:
topper09er said:
So I guess in Counsell's mind this is not a must win game? Considering we already know the Rockies won what is he thinking using Wang and Torres?

I mean what can you do? Who can you put in right now? We've gotta cover 7 innings now, there are no good options to do that in the pen right now.

If you aren't going to pitch Junior Guerra in a game like this, why in the heck is he even on the roster?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 27, 2017, 7:14 PM Post
SomewhereInTime said:
topper09er said:

Bases loaded 1 out, season on the line I would use the best player I have available. Wang and Torres are not that.

Now we can just watch a bunch of strikeouts on junk out of the zone as every hitter tries for a 6 run HR the rest of the game

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 27, 2017, 7:15 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
bucks2281 said:
The bases are loaded and the season is on the line? And he brings in Carlos Torres.

Who's he gonna pitch? Swarzak? He blew Hader last night. Seem allergic to Guerra and Taylor Williams. Garza? Come on! They needed a big start and didn't get it. That isn't on Counsell.

Should have brought Knebel in instead of Wang

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 27, 2017, 7:18 PM Post
topper09er said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
bucks2281 said:

The Reds have the worst pitching staff in the league, and you want to blow your closer in the 3rd inning? Or should that have been in blue?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 27, 2017, 7:19 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Lefties now 4 for 6 off of Wang this year. A LOOGY he may not be.

Early in the season everyone wanted to throw Drake and Hughes to the curb and just bring in guys like Wang. Heck I was hoping Wang would get a shot eventually.

Different isn't always better. Not that Drake and Hughes are great.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 27, 2017, 7:23 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
topper09er said:

The Reds have the worst pitching staff in the league, and you want to blow your closer in the 3rd inning? Or should that have been in blue?

If Knebel gets 3 outs at any point of the game then he is not being "blown", just randomly saving your best pitcher until the 9th inning is not a good strategy. If we had a bases loaded situation with a pitcher due up in the 4th inning, should we use our best pinch hitter or someone else so we can save our best one for later? There is no better possible scenario to use your best pinch hitter than bases loaded, and there is no better time to use your best pitcher than with the bases loaded, needing a strikeout with the season on the line. In addition, it is better to use Knebel earlier because if he has a quick inning he can be used to face more hitters than only 3 if was saved for the 9th.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 27, 2017, 7:27 PM Post
topper09er said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
topper09er said:

If Knebel gets 3 outs at any point of the game then he is not being "blown", just randomly saving your best pitcher until the 9th inning is not a good strategy. If we had a bases loaded situation with a pitcher due up in the 4th inning, should we use our best pinch hitter or someone else so we can save our best one for later? There is no better possible scenario to use your best pinch hitter than bases loaded, and there is no better time to use your best pitcher than with the bases loaded, needing a strikeout with the season on the line. In addition, it is better to use Knebel earlier because if he has a quick inning he can be used to face more hitters than only 3 if was saved for the 9th.

I totally agree with this. The 3rd inning can be high leverage, and the game can get away from you there if you don't so something about it -- And it did.

'Conventional wisdom' has come a long ways but still has a long ways to go. Unfortunately most managers are still married to the idea of closers = 9th inning and 3 run or less lead.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 27, 2017, 7:28 PM Post
topper09er said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
topper09er said:

I get the logic of what you're saying, but no major league team operates that way. None. It just isn't on anyone's radar.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 27, 2017, 7:30 PM Post
Anything else worth watching on TV tonight?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 27, 2017, 7:37 PM Post
bucks2281 said:

Makes zero sense, none, zip, nada.

Anyone but Tores and Drake...

Last edited by turborickey on September 27, 2017, 7:39 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 27, 2017, 7:38 PM Post
I can honestly say that I'm ready to be done with Ryan Braun. This team's offense needed their supposed bast player to step up over the last month, and he's failed miserably.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 27, 2017, 7:41 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
I can honestly say that I'm ready to be done with Ryan Braun. This team's offense needed their supposed bast player to step up over the last month, and he's failed miserably.

I mean it seems that way but he's got an .835 OPS over the last 30 days. Not Braun level but well above average.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 27, 2017, 7:42 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

I mean it seems that way but he's got an .835 OPS over the last 30 days. Not Braun level but well above average.

I would venture to say that very few of those hits have been extra bases, and none have been in clutch situations.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 27, 2017, 7:43 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Braun has been alright but it’s felt as though when we’ve needed the big hit, he hasn’t come through. I have loved that he’s played pretty much everyday though. Hopeful sign for next year.

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 106 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply