LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next  [ 597 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2018-10-02 (& 03): Wild Card Playoff Games

Offline  Re: 2018-10-02 (& 03): Wild Card Playoff Games
Posted: October 02, 2018, 11:29 PM Post
GAME05 said:
Thought the speedy Cubs guy should have stuck his elbow out and taken that pitch, but of course that's easy to say when you're watching and not when you're staring down a baseball.

Gotta be rough for Cubs fans to only have needed one win in two games. Not that I'm crying about it or anything.

Hopefully the Rockies' bullpen is at least a little bit tired on Thursday.

It looked like he did, but then either mistimed the pull back so it would only graze him or chickened out.

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 02, 2018, 11:31 PM Post
A Swing and A Drive said:
Cubs had only 9 hits and 2 runs in 22 innings the last two days at home.

They choked

Going against the aces from two teams in similar "winner take all" games is a very tough draw. Again, that's why the Brewers winning yesterday was huge.

But hey, if you need the "Cubs choked" narrative to fill time on your podcast, roll with it. But in my opinion, that team didn't collapse and didn't choke. The offense didn't perform in a couple very tough situations, but both were games that the Cubs very much could have won.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 02, 2018, 11:33 PM Post
To me it looked obvious. That was a team that was flat worn out after having only 1 true off day since August 20th.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 02, 2018, 11:35 PM Post
True Blue Brew Crew said:
To me it looked obvious. That was a team that was flat worn out after having only 1 true off day since August 20th.

That'll be the narrative in the Chicago papers tomorrow. It'll be MLB's fault.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 02, 2018, 11:35 PM Post
Global Moderator
reillymcshane said:
For Cubs, the injury to Bryant was huge. Take him out of there - or put in a sub-par Bryant - and things are a lot less scary.

They were lucky Baez broke out like he did. He really helped the offense. Rizzo is still really good, but Schwarber is simply limited as a hitter (and worse as a fielder) and Happ has some massive swing and miss issues. Neither has really developed into a reliable starter.

Contreres was another guy who really regressed. He seems like a guy who got a bit lazy and forgot he needed to work hard. I saw him make quite a few dumb plays this year -- just not as engaged as he should.

But the team is still really good. And they will spend money. Harper is the guy they will go for. I'm betting the trade Heyward (and about $100M) to just get rid of the guy. They need to move on from him - just get him out of the spotlight as a reminder of a bad mistake.

But again, there's too much money in that team's pockets. They'll spend. And be very, very good.

It all makes for fun baseball.

This all seems spot on to me, especially the lingering effects of Bryant’s injury this season as well as the likelihood of them making a run at Bryce Harper.

I am obviously glad the Cubs are done this season, but I think they are far from facing any sort of demise on the horizon.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 02, 2018, 11:37 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

That'll be the narrative in the Chicago papers tomorrow. It'll be MLB's fault.

More like Mother Nature's fault. But that's karma for the weather shenanigans they themselves played previously.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 02, 2018, 11:40 PM Post
reillymcshane said:
For Cubs, the injury to Bryant was huge. Take him out of there - or put in a sub-par Bryant - and things are a lot less scary.

They were lucky Baez broke out like he did. He really helped the offense. Rizzo is still really good, but Schwarber is simply limited as a hitter (and worse as a fielder) and Happ has some massive swing and miss issues. Neither has really developed into a reliable starter.

Contreres was another guy who really regressed. He seems like a guy who got a bit lazy and forgot he needed to work hard. I saw him make quite a few dumb plays this year -- just not as engaged as he should.

But the team is still really good. And they will spend money. Harper is the guy they will go for. I'm betting the trade Heyward (and about $100M) to just get rid of the guy. They need to move on from him - just get him out of the spotlight as a reminder of a bad mistake.

But again, there's too much money in that team's pockets. They'll spend. And be very, very good.

It all makes for fun baseball.

In hindsight, I think they would have been better off re-signing Arrieta than getting Darvish.

The part about too much money to spend on players is why I dislike the Cubs.

Last edited by tigerbrew on October 02, 2018, 11:52 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 02, 2018, 11:40 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
tigerbrew said:
Two heartbreaking losses for the Cubs... what a collapse over this last 4 weeks...

The Cubs won 95 games. That isn't even close to a collapse. It can be argued that they collapsed yesterday and today, but they played well through the end of the season. The Brewers caught them because they played out of their mind.

The Cubs didn't collapse, but they did wear down. The make up days instead of days off hurt them, but they also suffered from less talent on the 40 man roster. This whole month the Brewers have been using 36 players, and pretty much all of them were making significant contributions. The Brewers were a fresher, more rested team down the stretch, and hungrier too. The Cubs were just running on empty today.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 02, 2018, 11:44 PM Post
Global Moderator
From the past two days at Wrigley in 22 innings of baseball versus the Brewers/Rockies the Cubs had just 9 hits total, 6 of which were from Rizzo, Baez, and Almora. Only two were extra base hits (Rizzo’s HR yesterday and Baez’s double tonight).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 03, 2018, 12:05 AM Post
Over the course of my life, it seems that when I root for a given team to lose in the postseason so that my team plays that winning team, it backfires.

I am willing to roll the dice this time. I wanted nothing to do with the remote chance of losing a playoff series to them. I can stomach a loss to Colorado, I can't to Chicago.

Enjoy the offseason, Cubs.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 03, 2018, 12:09 AM Post
If the Cubs sign Harper, do they eat like $75 million and trade Heyward? I’m guessing Harper stays in Washington

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 03, 2018, 12:19 AM Post
Way to go Rockies! Excited to see this series far more than vs the Cubs. Yelich at Coors with how he's hitting right now? Braun? Looking forward to some offensive fireworks. And not worried on the pitching at all, keep beating that horse, its been solid. Win the series, Id hope to face Atlanta then in NLCS. Dodgers pitching at LA scares me for our bats.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 03, 2018, 1:12 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
It was a really bad time for the Cubs’ offense to go cold. I don’t read much more into it than that. Lack of rest surely didn’t help and the Rockies pitched well tonight.

It’s far from the first time a Cubs team had a great regular season before falling flat in October. Besides 2016 it is basically the norm.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 03, 2018, 1:50 AM Post

They can build a roof over the stadium like the Brewers did. They have the money

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 03, 2018, 5:11 AM Post
The Cubs adding Daniel Murphy and cocky Cole Hamels for basically nothing at the trade deadline, while the Brewers had to pony up for the services of Jonathan Schoop was tough to shallow given the disparity in our market sizes.

Not having to see another Cubs fan at Miller Park this postseason is quite fine by me.

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brew-Crew-Review-2053231341616034/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 03, 2018, 5:23 AM Post
B-Train said:
Fear The Chorizo said:
that visitor's clubhouse is getting a workout at Wrigley!

The clean up crew is best in the Biz.

Why? Is Baez on the cleanup crew? MVP!

Last edited by Jimbo on October 03, 2018, 6:38 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 03, 2018, 6:11 AM Post
Global Moderator
The Cubs have the feel of a sleeping giant, and I'm glad the next chance they'll get to wake up is in April, not in Milwaukee on Thursday.

Really, they're exhausted. Not an excuse, as you have to play the games and the schedule you get. No one in Milwaukee is at this point looking back at our crazy stretch of July games with regret. I think in Chicago's case, the exhaustion exposed the problems with their bullpen and depth, which is amazing to see in September with extended rosters.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 03, 2018, 6:23 AM Post
StCroixCtyBrewer said:
Over the course of my life, it seems that when I root for a given team to lose in the postseason so that my team plays that winning team, it backfires.

I am willing to roll the dice this time. I wanted nothing to do with the remote chance of losing a playoff series to them. I can stomach a loss to Colorado, I can't to Chicago.

Enjoy the offseason, Cubs.

I think that's a sentiment shared by many Brewer fans. Whatever happens against Colorado, nothing can take away from celebrating a division title at Wrigley Field.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 03, 2018, 6:41 AM Post
Cubs fans on all the boards demanding Harper, Machado and firing Chili.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 03, 2018, 6:47 AM Post
DHonks said:
If the Cubs sign Harper, do they eat like $75 million and trade Heyward? I’m guessing Harper stays in Washington

The better move for their roster is to trade either schwarber or happ to try and pick up a decent pitching prospect or two and keep heyward.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next  [ 597 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply