LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  [ 969 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2018-10-20 (NLCS Game #7): Dodgers (Buehler) at Brewers (Chacín) 7:09 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-1 -- 2018 Season Comes to a Close]

Offline  Re: 2018-10-20 (NLCS Game #7): Dodgers (Buehler) at Brewers (Chacín) 7:09 PM CDT [TV Broadcast on FS1]
Posted: October 21, 2018, 7:36 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
rickh150 said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:
How many NLCS losers do you remember 5, 10 years later? Who last it last year or the year before? Yeah, exactly. Ultimately they are a blip. Tonight was their chance to go down in lore and they blew it. Again.

Winning one WS is going to change everything? Some would say that one in the last 50 would be a blip or insignificant. It stings to lose this one, sure. We had a terrific season. Show a little grace, tip your hat to LA, and hope for better next season.

Yes. Winning one would change it for me, and a lot of other folks.

It would be great to win it all, I agree. I'm not sure how my opinion of the team would change, however. Still go to games, still hope they get to the playoffs, still be proud to be a Brewer fan, all that. So in your mind we're all losers until we win one championship? Then we can wear our championship gear for the next 30 years and feel like winners? It would be great to win it all, huge fun, but not life altering.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2018-10-20 (NLCS Game #7): Dodgers (Buehler) at Brewers (Chacín) 7:09 PM CDT [TV Broadcast on FS1]
Posted: October 21, 2018, 8:15 AM Post
The 'stache said:
RoCoBrewfan said:
With strikeout rates being what they are in todays game, bunting is a waste, unless you're doing it with your pitcher. Putting a man on third with one out, to give ONE batter a chance to score a run with a grounder or flyball, just doesn't make sense. If I have a man on 2nd, give me 3 tries at a base hit, vs one try at a fly ball, and one try at a basehit. Strikeout rates are just too high in the current iteration of the game to count on sac flies and the like to make bunting a viable strategy.

Maybe if batters were proficient in situational hitting, strikeout rates would be lower? We get a guy on base, and Brewers hitters come up there trying to knock the ball into the seats. When they fail to do so, they whiff at pitchers six inches above the strike zone, or bouncing in the dirt (see Moustakas and Aguilar). Adjust the approach like Anthony Rizzo did against us in the one game playoff. Behind in the count, I think it was 1-2, with a runner on base, he choked up on the bat, sacrificing the home run in order to foul pitches off, and force the pitcher to throw him what he wanted. When was the last time a Brewer bat came up to the plate with that kind of approach? Rizzo ultimately fouled 8 or 9 pitches off, and while I don't recall what he did, he worked the count, and increased the pitcher's pitch count in doing so. If he's successful, his team scores. Even if he just makes contact, and doesn't reach safely, he moves a runner over, which is a hell of a lot more than a strikeout does. If nothing else, the pitcher on the mound is out of the game that much sooner.

We look at metrics, and say, "this doesn't make sense". Well, if batters attained a more team friendly approach at the plate, strikeout rates wouldn't be what they are. Aguilar whiffed four times tonight swinging at crap that a high school batter knows to lay off of.

Love this post! Not doing situational hitting has been an issue for us all season long. Another thing we do that drives me and my hubby crazy is the pitcher just walked a guy and can't find the plate and the next guy up is swinging at these lousy pitches. Coles has to go.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 21, 2018, 8:17 AM Post
PinaMadness said:

Lack of offensive discipline has been a problem for not only years, but decades. I don't know why switching hitting coaches would work now. Not that I think they shouldn't.[/quote]

What else can you do to fix this ongoing problem? Isn't the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? [sad]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 21, 2018, 8:18 AM Post
Bulldogboy said:
Johnathan Schoop pinch hit tonight with two men on down a run. Think about that folks. Why?

Yes, there had to be somebody better than him! A pitcher in the bullpen would have been a better choice. [tongue]

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2018-10-20 (NLCS Game #7): Dodgers (Buehler) at Brewers (Chacín) 7:09 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-1 -- 2018 Season Comes to a Close]
Posted: October 21, 2018, 9:26 AM Post
I hope this loss makes people appreciate what the 1982 team did instead of scoffing at the organization when the organization commemorates them on an anniversary. An opportunity like this may not come again for another 10 years or more.

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2018-10-20 (NLCS Game #7): Dodgers (Buehler) at Brewers (Chacín) 7:09 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-1 -- 2018 Season Comes to a Close]
Posted: October 21, 2018, 10:20 AM Post
PinaMadness said:
I hope this loss makes people appreciate what the 1982 team did instead of scoffing at the organization when the organization commemorates them on an anniversary. An opportunity like this may not come again for another 10 years or more.

I do appreciate what the 1982 team accomplished. But I also do long for a day when making it to a single World Series and losing it isn't the pinnacle of our organizational accomplishments.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 21, 2018, 11:56 AM Post
PinaMadness said:

Yes, however this team has a different feel to it than the 82 team and especially the 2011 team. The core talent on this team is returning in February so the future is very bright. Our leadership is different too.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 21, 2018, 2:35 PM Post
PinaMadness said:

1982 team playoff record: 6-6

2018 team playoff record: 6-4

So no, the 1982 team only had to win a 5 game series to make it to the World Series. The Brewers of this decade have done that twice.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 26, 2018, 9:53 PM Post
Ennder said:
rickh150 said:
Disagree. Bunting has its place. Getting a guy to 2nd or 3rd with a bunt, especially with a pitcher or low OBP guy to turn the lineup over, is needed especially when top notch pitching is on the hill. For the big inning, no, bunting has no place, I'll agree with you. You are talking about one run. Having a contact hitter or three on your bench to hit the ball when a guy is at 3rd has its place, as well. In Game 7, I agree with you. It's not why we lost.

You are simply wrong. A runner on 2nd with no outs vs a runner on 3rd with 1 out is a 4% increase in a chance to score a single run. The odds with a runner on 1st vs runner on 2nd are similar. So you have to be successful with the bunt over 90% of the time for it to be a valid strategy. It is extremely rare for this to be the case. Bunting in the current game of baseball is a huge mistake unless you have a pitcher up or an elite bunter up.

You aren't including the times the guy gets on whether by hit, error, or walk.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  [ 969 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply