LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next  [ 223 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019-04-16: Cardinals (Flaherty) at Brewers (Woodruff) [Brewers win, 8-4 -- Woodruff stellar on the mound and at the plate; Just another Yelich HR]

Online  2019-04-16: Cardinals (Flaherty) at Brewers (Woodruff) [Brewers win, 8-4 -- Woodruff stellar on the mound and at the plate; Just another Yelich HR]

Posted: April 16, 2019, 6:00 AM Post
Global Moderator

Cardinals Lineup       	          Brewers Lineup

1. Matt Carpenter (L) 3B 1. Lorenzo Cain (R) CF
2. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B 2. Christian Yelich (L) RF
3. Paul DeJong (R) SS 3. Ryan Braun (R) LF
4. Marcell Ozuna (R) LF 4. Mike Moustakas (L) 2B
5. Jose Martinez (R) RF 5. Yasmani Grandal (S) C
6. Yadier Molina (R) C 6. Travis Shaw (L) 3B
7. Dexter Fowler (S) CF 7. Jesus Aguilar (R) 1B
8. Kolten Wong (L) 2B 8. Orlando Arcia (R) SS
9. Jack Flaherty (R) P 9. Brandon Woodruff (L) P

Brandon Woodruff: Batter (Cardinals) vs Pitching Stats

Jack Flaherty: Batter (Brewers) vs Pitching Stats

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-04-16: Cardinals (Flaherty) at Brewers (Woodruff) 6:40 PM CDT

Posted: April 16, 2019, 9:21 AM Post
I am all for letting a struggling guy work through things by staying in the line-up but if CC bats Shaw in the 3-hole again tonight right behind Yelich, i'm going to freak. Drop him down to 7 and let him swing through his issues. We need maximum production from the 1-5 spots in the lineup every night the way we're pitching!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 16, 2019, 10:38 AM Post
BraunFanatic said:
I am all for letting a struggling guy work through things by staying in the line-up but if CC bats Shaw in the 3-hole again tonight right behind Yelich, i'm going to freak. Drop him down to 7 and let him swing through his issues. We need maximum production from the 1-5 spots in the lineup every night the way we're pitching!

I'd guess Braun gets the start tonight and bats 3rd. In a very limited sample he has hit Flaherty well. Couple of homers and a .500+ BA.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019-04-16: Cardinals (Flaherty) at Brewers (Woodruff) 6:40 PM CDT

Posted: April 16, 2019, 11:14 AM Post
I think Grandal should be the #3 hitter for the time being. Moose #4. Beyond that, doesn't really matter.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 16, 2019, 11:38 AM Post
adambr2 said:
I think Grandal Woodruff should be the #3 hitter for the time being tonight. Moose #4. Beyond that, doesn't really matter.

Fixed

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 16, 2019, 11:47 AM Post
Cain
Yelich
Braun
Shaw
Grandal
Moustakas
Thames
Arcia
Woodruff

Would be my lineup.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 16, 2019, 11:49 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
adambr2 said:
I think Grandal Woodruff should be the #3 hitter for the time being tonight. Moose #4. Beyond that, doesn't really matter.

Fixed

Woodruff can swing it. He's got a career .985 OPS, which is nuts though obviously a small sample, but even when you figure in his minor league batting he's about .700.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 16, 2019, 12:49 PM Post
adambr2 said:
KeithStone53151 said:
adambr2 said:

Fixed

Woodruff can swing it. He's got a career .985 OPS, which is nuts though obviously a small sample, but even when you figure in his minor league batting he's about .700.

So he is literally better than Arcia in his small sample (alert).

That is actually kind of sad.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 16, 2019, 12:57 PM Post
MrTPlush said:

It's only sad when you go in expecting Arcia to provide above replacement-level offense. If expectations are tempered, and we view Arcia for what he is - an all-world defender and below-average offensive player - any offense he provides is a bonus.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 16, 2019, 1:17 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
MrTPlush said:

It's only sad when you go in expecting Arcia to provide above replacement-level offense. If expectations are tempered, and we view Arcia for what he is - an all-world defender and below-average offensive player - any offense he provides is a bonus.

No, any offense would make him good. Without offense he floats between replacement level and below average.`60 OPS+ defensive wizes aren't special.

He is a little more easy to stomach now that we got rid of terrible offense at 2B and C...but two pitchers in a row in your line-up is pretty bad no matter how one spins it.

I guess I don't understand how Orlando Arcia always seems to get the "anything he provides outside of defense is a bonus" when Fangraphs had him tabbed as the #37 SS last year (min 300pa) out of...38 shortstops. You can lather up that defense as much as you want and he is still one of the worst SS in baseball the way he hits.

Comparatively speaking Khris Davis ranked better among his LF peers overall in 2015 than Orlando Arcia ranked among his SS peers in 2018. Value is value and Orlando Arcia is killing us massively on one side of the ball just like Davis statistically did. The defensive value just isn't really there when he hits like a pitcher, just sucks it away.

The problem is he isn't just below average. He is well well below average.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 16, 2019, 1:37 PM Post
That all out of your system now? Probably should just start a thread about how terrible he is so you can vent it out every so often.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 16, 2019, 1:39 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
MrTPlush said:

No, any offense would make him good. Without offense he floats between replacement level and below average.`60 OPS+ defensive wizes aren't special.

He is a little more easy to stomach now that we got rid of terrible offense at 2B and C...but two pitchers in a row in your line-up is pretty bad no matter how one spins it.

I guess I don't understand how Orlando Arcia always seems to get the "anything he provides outside of defense is a bonus" when Fangraphs had him tabbed as the #37 SS last year (min 300pa) out of...38 shortstops. You can lather up that defense as much as you want and he is still one of the worst SS in baseball the way he hits.

Comparatively speaking Khris Davis ranked better among his LF peers overall in 2015 than Orlando Arcia ranked among his SS peers in 2018. Value is value and Orlando Arcia is killing us massively on one side of the ball just like Davis statistically did. The defensive value just isn't really there when he hits like a pitcher, just sucks it away.

The problem is he isn't just below average. He is well well below average.

That's fine. I mean, I'd love more offense out of the SS position too. But there really isn't anything in the pipeline of note, so I think we're just going to have to keep on hoping on Orlando to figure things out and get to the point where he's no longer an offensive liability. He's young enough that it certainly wouldn't be unheard of for him to figure it out. He's got the talent and skillset.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 16, 2019, 1:43 PM Post
https://twitter.com/Brewers/status/1118236421817499654

Peralta to 10-day IL. Wilkerson up. I imagine Wilkerson will serve as long relief until Freddy's spot in the rotation comes up, which I imagine will be taken by Houser.

This is one way to limit Freddy's innings I suppose.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 16, 2019, 2:06 PM Post
Does Wilkerson give up a ton of HRs too? I seem to remember him giving up homers the times he was up with the big club. I could be wrong of course.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 16, 2019, 2:08 PM Post
turborickey said:
Does Wilkerson give up a ton of HRs too? I seem to remember him giving up homers the times he was up with the big club. I could be wrong of course.

5 in 19.1 innings (14 runs)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 16, 2019, 2:28 PM Post
Global Moderator
Lineups are posted. The Cardinals defensive outfield this evening doesn't seem great.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 16, 2019, 2:33 PM Post
It is impressive that Molina just continues to catch just about every game.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 16, 2019, 3:20 PM Post
Having nothing to do with today's game, but its interesting that the Brewers really haven't had consistent offensive production at shortstop since 2008.

2009 JJ Hardy .659 OPS
2010 Escobar .614
2011 Yuni B. .652
2012 Segura .652
2013 Segura .752
2014 Segura .614
2015 Segura .615
2016 Villar .826
2017 Arcia .731
2018 Arcia .576

Other than three years out of the last ten its been an offensive black hole, and I didn't realize its apparently pretty difficult to find a SS who can also hit.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 16, 2019, 3:38 PM Post
Gave up on Hardy and Segura's bats too soon, just as some are doing now with Arcia. Also forgetting he was the best stick in September and the playoffs.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 16, 2019, 4:00 PM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:

One big difference between Khris & Orlando is age. Davis was dealt after his age 27 season. Arcia is currently playing in his age 24 season. Another is that we had a surplus of OFers when we dealt Davis & our only other Orlando option is maybe Maurico? or possibly Perez?

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next  [ 223 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply