LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 99 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019-04-24: Brewers (Chacín) at Cardinals (Wainwright) [Brewers lose, 5-2]

Offline  Re: 2019-04-24: Brewers (Chacín) at Cardinals (Wainwright) 12:15 PM CDT

Posted: April 24, 2019, 12:25 PM Post
Brew Crew are a pretty big mess right. Can't pitch. Can't hit. Regardless of who they are playing, it's been a pretty ugly, disappointing and frustrating week.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-04-24: Brewers (Chacín) at Cardinals (Wainwright) 12:15 PM CDT

Posted: April 24, 2019, 12:26 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Brew4U said:
Ozuna waves at a slider. Grandal sets up outside for a FB and Chacin throws a 90mph FB on the inside corner which ends up in the seats.

Just awful.

That would be my argument for the people blaming the pitching issues on Chris Hook. It isn't Hook's fault that the pitchers have been so horrible hitting their spots, and that it seems like every time they miss, it is a meatball down the middle.

Well, it is a mechanical thing. That is Hook's job to get his pitchers mechanics right. I was quick to give him a Hook the other night as our pitching coach but it has been that bad so far. I mean, all pitchers regressed?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 12:27 PM Post
Well...last year was fun

Quote   Reply 

adambr2 said:
It's gotten to the point where I knew they were on today and I questioned if I was really even wanting to watch it.

I stopped tuning in yesterday. I know I'll be back, but it feels especially dumb when they're in one of these skids.

Idk what to feel. "It's April" is starting to run thin, especially since I was saying it when they were winning and their record seemed kind of unsustainable. I don't really blame the F.O. either because I really believed this team was going to have a really big year. I'm not really feeling this is a team that needs to break out of a funk...I'm more seeing a genuine talent void. It stinks, and makes me really stew on that Game 7 and what we could have had that night.

Quote   Reply 

Brewers are just getting their bad stretch out of the way early. Lose today and we'll be .500, that's about what I expected through this stretch of Cards/Cubs/Dodgers, it's just been painful baseball to watch.

Quote   Reply 

Warning Track Power said:
Brew Crew are a pretty big mess right. Can't pitch. Can't hit. Regardless of who they are playing, it's been a pretty ugly, disappointing and frustrating week.

Can't field, can't coach. This team looks like a deer in the headlights right now.

The bullpen is not our weakness, that starting pitching is. Till it proves otherwise, on paper, it’s a pretty bad group.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 12:29 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Brew4U said:
Ozuna waves at a slider. Grandal sets up outside for a FB and Chacin throws a 90mph FB on the inside corner which ends up in the seats.

Just awful.

That would be my argument for the people blaming the pitching issues on Chris Hook. It isn't Hook's fault that the pitchers have been so horrible hitting their spots, and that it seems like every time they miss, it is a meatball down the middle.

Well, it is a mechanical thing. That is Hook's job to get his pitchers mechanics right. I was quick to give him a Hook the other night as our pitching coach but it has been that bad so far. I mean, all pitchers regressed?

I agree with you on Hook. If it were one or two guys who were simply having off seasons then it would be more acceptable. One month into a season though and having every starter other than Davies look pretty terrible and all relievers looking worse than last year makes you wonder about Hook's ability.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 12:31 PM Post
I agree with you on Hook. If it were one or two guys who were simply having off seasons then it would be more acceptable. One month into a season though and having every starter other than Davies look pretty terrible and all relievers looking worse than last year makes you wonder about Hook's ability.

Perhaps. Someone is going to have to fall on the sword if this continues.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 12:33 PM Post
Offense hasn't been much better. Should probably fire the hitting coach too.

The bullpen is not our weakness, that starting pitching is. Till it proves otherwise, on paper, it’s a pretty bad group.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 12:33 PM Post
I don't know how much Hook is to blame, but the DJ void looks very real right now.

People saying there is no problem and this should be a .500 month are watching a different team than me. There are real problems here, and unlike previous years not much talent outside of Hiura that could come up and be of immediate help to the problems.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 12:34 PM Post
There’s no way to put lipstick on this pig. The Brewers pitching staff is one of the worst in MLB and the home run or nothing offense isn’t enough to overcome it.

When they said before the season that this was a whole new year they weren’t kidding. Last year’s team did well for 3 months mainly because of a lockdown bullpen, staggered for awhile when the pitching started to crack, and then finished strong when they were able to hide the pitching weakness with the expanded roster.

Now the bullpen is a weak imitation of what it was last year, and the plan of throwing out a rotation featuring 3 young, unproven starters is turning out to be a massive fail that is compounded by the weaker bullpen.

It is looking like 2019 is going to be a lot like 2012 where the team had to finish strong to reach .500, mainly because of awful pitching. Even if the offense perks up from its recent slump I don’t think it’s going to be near enough to keep pace with the Cardinals and Cubs and their much superior pitching and potent batting orders.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 12:34 PM Post
82brewcrew82 said:

I know you're being sarcastic, but they are in the top 5 in the NL in runs scored. Probably not a great comparison here.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 12:36 PM Post
82brewcrew82 said:

I know it is the state of the game currently with 3TO teams, but it really does wear thin. 51 HRs is great through 25 games however a general lack of situational awareness and hitting really stinks.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 12:37 PM Post
adambr2 said:
82brewcrew82 said:

I know you're being sarcastic, but they are in the top 5 in the NL in runs scored. Probably not a great comparison here.

This team needs to be number one and has way too many hitters not hitting. Fire the coach and make them hit better.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 12:38 PM Post
How was Ozuna ever considered a good outfielder? He is horrid out there.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 12:38 PM Post
This team has been really boring to watch lately.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 12:39 PM Post
Aguilar is a 1 year wonder.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 12:39 PM Post
BruisedCrew said:
There’s no way to put lipstick on this pig. The Brewers pitching staff is one of the worst in MLB and the home run or nothing offense isn’t enough to overcome it.

When they said before the season that this was a whole new year they weren’t kidding. Last year’s team did well for 3 months mainly because of a lockdown bullpen, staggered for awhile when the pitching started to crack, and then finished strong when they were able to hide the pitching weakness with the expanded roster.

Now the bullpen is a weak imitation of what it was last year, and the plan of throwing out a rotation featuring 3 young, unproven starters is turning out to be a massive fail that is compounded by the weaker bullpen.

It is looking like 2019 is going to be a lot like 2012 where the team had to finish strong to reach .500, mainly because of awful pitching. Even if the offense perks up from its recent slump I don’t think it’s going to be near enough to keep pace with the Cardinals and Cubs and their much superior pitching and potent batting orders.

I was thinking more like 2009 when they threw out Looper, Parra, Suppan and Bush for 112 starts and the lowest ERA and FIP between the four of them was 5.22 and 4.88.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 12:41 PM Post
BruisedCrew said:

I was thinking more like 2009 when they threw out Looper, Parra, Suppan and Bush for 112 starts and the lowest ERA and FIP between the four of them was 5.22 and 4.88.

2009. 2012. The similarity being coming off of a playoff year and going into the next season with a highly questionable pitching staff.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 12:43 PM Post
BruisedCrew said:

I've made that 2012 comparison a lot around here and sadly I think it's going to be right about where things end up. They'll start scoring a lot eventually. But these guys can't pitch. Most MLB SP, even average guys, can toss 4 innings. If your pen is incredible you can win doing that. Except we can't get through the first 3 innings anymore. And the pen can't protect anything.

If you look at the offense on that 2012 team, it's impressive, in a bad way, that it didn't win more. That was one potent offensive team. I don't think this offense will be long ball or nothing all year, but I don't think they can pitch. They gambled big time on the young starters and the worst case scenario is unfolding - all three are wildly unreliable. And it looks much bigger than getting one starter or Kimbrel.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 99 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply