LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 99 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019-04-24: Brewers (Chacín) at Cardinals (Wainwright) [Brewers lose, 5-2]

Offline  Re: 2019-04-24: Brewers (Chacín) at Cardinals (Wainwright) 12:15 PM CDT

Posted: April 24, 2019, 12:45 PM Post
Keuchel & Kimbrel would help a lot.

But instead we get mediocrity and cool bobbleheads.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019-04-24: Brewers (Chacín) at Cardinals (Wainwright) 12:15 PM CDT

Posted: April 24, 2019, 12:47 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
BruisedCrew said:
There’s no way to put lipstick on this pig. The Brewers pitching staff is one of the worst in MLB and the home run or nothing offense isn’t enough to overcome it.

When they said before the season that this was a whole new year they weren’t kidding. Last year’s team did well for 3 months mainly because of a lockdown bullpen, staggered for awhile when the pitching started to crack, and then finished strong when they were able to hide the pitching weakness with the expanded roster.

Now the bullpen is a weak imitation of what it was last year, and the plan of throwing out a rotation featuring 3 young, unproven starters is turning out to be a massive fail that is compounded by the weaker bullpen.

It is looking like 2019 is going to be a lot like 2012 where the team had to finish strong to reach .500, mainly because of awful pitching. Even if the offense perks up from its recent slump I don’t think it’s going to be near enough to keep pace with the Cardinals and Cubs and their much superior pitching and potent batting orders.

I've made that 2012 comparison a lot around here and sadly I think it's going to be right about where things end up. They'll start scoring a lot eventually. But these guys can't pitch. Most MLB SP, even average guys, can toss 4 innings. If your pen is incredible you can win doing that. Except we can't get through the first 3 innings anymore. And the pen can't protect anything.

If you look at the offense on that 2012 team, it's impressive, in a bad way, that it didn't win more. That was one potent offensive team. I don't think this offense will be long ball or nothing all year, but I don't think they can pitch. They gambled big time on the young starters and the worst case scenario is unfolding - all three are wildly unreliable. And it looks much bigger than getting one starter or Kimbrel.

The big difference I foresee is that I believe that Stearns will be much more aggressive in acquiring different pitching options than Melvin was in 2009 and 2012. Whether those acquisitions will be successful is a different story, but he doesn't strike me as the type to sit on his hands through a long-term weakness.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 12:48 PM Post
Windmill Eddie says they're doing it wrong.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 12:51 PM Post
LePay drinking up there?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 12:53 PM Post
I think they will end up being realistic about things and ride this out for the most part. If they actually think these guys have futures as good starters then at some point you take your lumps and accept a 78-win season and keep building in a responsible way. It would not seem all that smart to me to make a deal of any consequence for a SP at this point. From what we have seen, this team is a lot further from good than Keuchel or Kimbrel or something like that. If this isn't a good team this year , well that's super depressing and it sucks, but it is still a pretty sustainable group at the moment. But this team doesn't need a SP, they need like three of them, and that doesn't solve your bullpen problem. This group looks terrible.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-04-24: Brewers (Chacín) at Cardinals (Wainwright) 12:15 PM CDT

Posted: April 24, 2019, 1:01 PM Post
This is very much looking like 2012, where the bullpen was a disaster. I still remember a series in July 2012 where K-Rod and Kameron Loe blew multiple-run leads in the 9th inning in all 3 games. We are certainly trending that way.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 1:01 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Aguilar is a 1 1/2 year wonder.

Thought I'd help ya out.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 1:02 PM Post
Why is Jeffress continuing to just chew up garbage and low-leverage innings? Are we really sitting on far superior options like Alex Wilson that we can afford to just ease him back in?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 1:05 PM Post
All the innings are garbage when you are losing 100% of the time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 1:08 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Why is Jeffress continuing to just chew up garbage and low-leverage innings? Are we really sitting on far superior options like Alex Wilson that we can afford to just ease him back in?

Strongly agree. Do we actually have anyone better than Jeffress in the bullpen? Hader maybe. Anyone else?

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 1:09 PM Post
3and2Fastball said:
adambr2 said:

Strongly agree. Do we actually have anyone better than Jeffress in the bullpen? Hader maybe. Anyone else?

Well, we've been told that Jeffress' return was going to be a disaster, so ...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 1:24 PM Post
Yeah no Bill, you were right the first time. It's pretty much just been one guy for the Brewers offense, not contributions from a lot of people.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 1:26 PM Post
Ben Gamel has a .289 SLG% to go with his .314 OBP.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 1:29 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Yeah no Bill, you were right the first time. It's pretty much just been one guy for the Brewers offense, not contributions from a lot of people.

It's been two guys, but Santana would look good at 3B right now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 1:31 PM Post
trwi7 said:

And yet he's hitting better than 3 of our starters...

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 1:32 PM Post
Silly Cardinals... Don't they know you run on contact...

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 1:33 PM Post
trwi7 said:

Why did we give up on Domingo Santana? Especially when Braun is a shell of his former self?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/_/id/319 ... go-santana

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 1:33 PM Post
3and2Fastball said:
adambr2 said:

The Brewers haven’t exactly had leads to protect in the late innings since he’s come back and got his couple of low leverage outings out of the way.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 1:34 PM Post
It'll be interesting to see where Domingo ends up. Much of this is reactionary to a bad stretch. Time will tell.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2019, 1:36 PM Post
3and2Fastball said:
trwi7 said:

Why did we give up on Domingo Santana? Especially when Braun is a shell of his former self?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/_/id/319 ... go-santana

The Brewers tried to trade Santana for over a year. It was obvious that for whatever reason they didn't feel he was a fit for what they were trying to do.

Also, they traded him. They didn't give up on him. They got a quality 4th OF and a pitching prospect for him.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 99 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply