LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  [ 158 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019-05-06: Nationals (Scherzer) at Brewers (Chacín) [Brewers win, 5-3 -- Gamel and Arcia with three hits apiece]

Offline  Re: 2019-05-06: Nationals (Scherzer) at Brewers (Chacín) [Brewers win, 5-3 -- Gamel and Arcia with three hits apiece]
Posted: May 06, 2019, 9:22 PM Post
Meanwhile at Wrigley, the vaunted Cubs pen managed to give up 3 runs against the Marlins to give up the lead - if you can find a replay of the last play to end the top 9th, it's pretty fantastic.

Grounder to the pitcher with runners on 2nd and 3rd, 1 out, guy on third is caught dead to rights 2/3 of the way down the line towards the plate...Cubs pitcher looks at him for a full second to get started with a rundown, then inexplicably turns to throw to 1st to get the 2nd out and the guy walks home to score another run.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-05-06: Nationals (Scherzer) at Brewers (Chacín) 6:40 PM CDT
Posted: May 06, 2019, 9:24 PM Post
TJseven7 said:
adambr2 said:
Guerra is so terrible.

LOL. What did I miss?

A poster used Guerra’s not so good peripheral stats to say Guerra was having a bad year and was in the bottom 20% of relief pitchers, and anybody that thought otherwise doesn’t know baseball.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019-05-06: Nationals (Scherzer) at Brewers (Chacín) 6:40 PM CDT
Posted: May 06, 2019, 9:25 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
TJseven7 said:
adambr2 said:
Guerra is so terrible.

LOL. What did I miss?

Nothing, Bucks and Brewers both won, but they suck and all their players suck. Or something like that.

The list of sucking players has been reduced to a few hitters it appears. Chris Hook must've gotten off his butt and actually helped the pitchers! /blue

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019-05-06: Nationals (Scherzer) at Brewers (Chacín) 6:40 PM CDT
Posted: May 06, 2019, 9:30 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
TJseven7 said:
adambr2 said:
Guerra is so terrible.

LOL. What did I miss?

Nothing, Bucks and Brewers both won, but they suck and all their players suck. Or something like that.

Like I said, it was sarcasm, FV. You must have missed Saturday's GT.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-05-06: Nationals (Scherzer) at Brewers (Chacín) [Brewers win, 5-3 -- Gamel and Arcia with three hits apiece]
Posted: May 06, 2019, 9:33 PM Post
Fear The Chorizo said:
Meanwhile at Wrigley, the vaunted Cubs pen managed to give up 3 runs against the Marlins to give up the lead - if you can find a replay of the last play to end the top 9th, it's pretty fantastic.

Grounder to the pitcher with runners on 2nd and 3rd, 1 out, guy on third is caught dead to rights 2/3 of the way down the line towards the plate...Cubs pitcher looks at him for a full second to get started with a rundown, then inexplicably turns to throw to 1st to get the 2nd out and the guy walks home to score another run.

Score one for the contact play! For every score it makes, it needs to fail like 10 times. If it's the game tying/winning run, then maybe 20 times depending on how good your bullpen is.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 06, 2019, 9:41 PM Post
This pitching staff is so underrated right now. Starting staff when Anderson back is really solid, better than last year’s starters. The pen with Guerra Albers jj Burnes Claudio Hader Williams Houser I think top to bottom as good as most of last years bullpen, with potential to get better when Nelson returns and starter arm to pen. When our offense clicks this team gonna win a lot of games.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 06, 2019, 9:43 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
This pitching staff is so underrated right now. Starting staff when Anderson back is really solid, better than last year’s starters. The pen with Guerra Albers jj Burnes Claudio Hader Williams Houser I think top to bottom as good as most of last years bullpen, with potential to get better when Nelson returns and starter arm to pen. When our offense clicks this team gonna win a lot of games.

The range of outcomes for this pitching staff is extremely wide.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 06, 2019, 9:46 PM Post
May 9th 2018 Brewers record 21-16
May 6th 2019 Brewers record 21-16

In 2018 the next 18 games was a 14-4 run.

Honestly, when you look at how this pitching staff seems to be stabilizing, I could see it.

Tomorrow is a big one though. This turn without Anderson would be a nice one to steal.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 06, 2019, 9:53 PM Post
Global Moderator
Hauser starting tomorrow in the role of “the opener” with Freddy Peralta coming into the game following Hauser. I’ll go on the record saying I like it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 06, 2019, 9:55 PM Post
Oxy said:
Brew crew 92 said:

A lot of volatility has come from Burnes, Peralta, Barnes, and Wilson. Starting the kids not only didn't go well but also exposed the bottom rungs of the pen. The way its structured now, its a lot smoother.

Woodruff should have some bumps in the road here and there but its not 3 guys on a moguls run. Jeffress looked the best he has all year. Hader is a monster. Guerra has been fantastic. (by most accounts) Getting Burnes into the pen will hopefully settle him down. Claudio Albers have been fine. It's getting pretty deep. Having Davies Gio Chacin Anderson rolling out solid sub 4 era starts is going to do this team a world of good. You don't need aces. You do need starters who keep the other team in check.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 06, 2019, 10:03 PM Post
Eye Black said:
Hauser starting tomorrow in the role of “the opener” with Freddy Peralta coming into the game following Hauser. I’ll go on the record saying I like it.

Nice. If he still bats Houser in the 9 spot I hope he gets more than 1 inning if the 1 goes fairly smooth. If the plan is 1 inning and 1 inning only, maybe slot him in the 4 spot and PH for him if we get a baserunner in the bottom of the 1st? I'm typing my thoughts out loud here (but this is the game thread so that's okay, no?) If Ender or anybody else has actually researched how this could/should be done I'd be happy to be corrected. It seems like there should be an optimal spot to bat the pitcher in the NL when one uses an "opener" and I'm not sure if that is the 9 spot.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 06, 2019, 10:04 PM Post
hopefully Freddy will continue to throw in the bullpen while Houser pitches to get that 1st inning out of the way.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 06, 2019, 11:14 PM Post
Oxy said:
Eye Black said:

Nice. If he still bats Houser in the 9 spot I hope he gets more than 1 inning if the 1 goes fairly smooth. If the plan is 1 inning and 1 inning only, maybe slot him in the 4 spot and PH for him if we get a baserunner in the bottom of the 1st? I'm typing my thoughts out loud here (but this is the game thread so that's okay, no?) If Ender or anybody else has actually researched how this could/should be done I'd be happy to be corrected. It seems like there should be an optimal spot to bat the pitcher in the NL when one uses an "opener" and I'm not sure if that is the 9 spot.

Not sure you'd want to burn a bench bat that quickly though. 8th with 2 innings from Houser, then Wooddruff to PH saves the bench early. I'd bump him up 1 spot so that only 2 need to reach by the bottom of the 2nd.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 06, 2019, 11:35 PM Post
TJseven7 said:
Oxy said:
Eye Black said:

Not sure you'd want to burn a bench bat that quickly though. 8th with 2 innings from Houser, then Wooddruff to PH saves the bench early. I'd bump him up 1 spot so that only 2 need to reach by the bottom of the 2nd.

You dont want to make pitchers bat twice though. If you plan on your "follower" to pitch longer than your "opener" it seems like you should move your pitcher up in the batting order. Start the game with a great defensive option but a poorer batting option (So, start Pina for Grandal at C and bat the pitcher 5th or so and Pina 9th- then PH Grandal and double switch for him in that spot--this would also give Grandal some rest and give our better defender a couple of innings).
This seems like the smart thing to do, but I need some numbers to back it up.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 07, 2019, 7:20 AM Post
Oxy said:
Brew crew 92 said:

I think this is it in a nutshell. Especially with the youngsters, it's a lot of boom or bust. I think Gio closes the margin as will Nelson and Chase when healthy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 07, 2019, 8:50 AM Post
Oxy said:
What a difference 4 games make. This was a big win-to beat Scherzer in the opener is huge. Although basically the Nats lost today and we played competent baseball--which is what good, playoff bound teams do.

Yes, the Nats are a very sloppy team. It was almost sad to watch them mess up so much. Almost. [wink]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 07, 2019, 9:12 AM Post
yourout said:
folly412 said:
Brew crew 92 said:

Yes.
Gamel for Santana just another great stearns trade.

Plus we got Zavolas, who is doing really well in Carolina. Davies-like repertoire, velocity maybe a tick or two higher.

Just checked on Santanas stats. His hot start has him at .269 with 11 dingers but he is 11 for his last 63(.175).

I think it just took AL pitchers a while to figure out how to pitch him(up and in).

Not sure where you see 11 dingers. I see 7 (with 3 coming in the first 4 games of the year).

Santana and Gamel have identical .797 OPS after the game last night with Gamel's OBP 50 points higher.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 07, 2019, 7:46 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
TJseven7 said:
adambr2 said:
Guerra is so terrible.

LOL. What did I miss?

A poster used Guerra’s not so good peripheral stats to say Guerra was having a bad year and was in the bottom 20% of relief pitchers, and anybody that thought otherwise doesn’t know baseball.

Peripheral stats. Or as I call them, stats for hipsters.

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  [ 158 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply