LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 112 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019-05-27: Brewers (González) at Twins (Pineda) [Brewers win, 5-4 -- Arcia RBI double and 2-run home run lead comeback win]

Offline  Re: 2019-05-27: Brewers (González) at Twins (Pineda) 6:10 PM CDT

Posted: May 27, 2019, 6:21 PM Post
How come guys don't cut loose on 3-0 pitches?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2019, 6:22 PM Post
Zad Fnark said:

Baseball dogma

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2019, 6:24 PM Post
Figured some kind of "unwritten rule".

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2019, 6:26 PM Post
Zad Fnark said:
Figured some kind of "unwritten rule".

Basically.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2019, 6:27 PM Post
Global Moderator
82brewcrew82 said:
sveumrules said:
82brewcrew82 said:
The problem is, that is most of our rotation. Who would have guessed a rotation full of scrap heap soft tossers would end up like this.

Preseason we were expected to contend for the postseason. We are currently contending for the postseason. So I guess lots of people thought we would end up like this.

Even if you think Gio is a crap heap soft tosser (I personally think his career track record excludes him from any scrap heap talk), who are the other scrap heap soft tossers in our rotation?

Plenty of prognosticators questioned this teams ability to contend, almost exclusively based on the lack of a quality rotation. Anderson was a throw in trade piece, Gonzalez was literally a scrap heap signing, Davies we got for Gerardo Parra and Chacin was a cheap sign. I highly doubt any one of those guys would return anything of value in a trade and collectively don't measure up to the Dodgers, Cubs, Philles or Braves just to name a few. They may be a contender for a playoff spot but they are not on par with those other teams when it comes to pitching. It isn't fair to continue to ask this lineup to score a minimum of six runs a game to win the majority of the time. Slice it how you want to, the starting pitching is weak and it's weak becuse they rely predominantly on marginal pitchers with little room for error.

The Brewers are 11-2 so far in games where they score between 3 & 5 runs, they don't need to score six to win.

Over the last 30 days our starting pitchers have a 2.99 ERA, 2nd best in the NL.

People said our rotation was weak last year & would be our undoing, it wasn't.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2019, 6:28 PM Post
Zad Fnark said:

Because Chuckie hacks on 2-0.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2019, 6:30 PM Post
Global Moderator
82brewcrew82 said:
It isn't fair to continue to ask this lineup to score a minimum of six runs a game to win the majority of the time.

Except this is false. The Brewers have allowed 5 runs (or more) 21 times in 54 games. The Brewers are 8th out of 15 NL in team ERA at 4.33

So the "minimum" of 6 runs to win a game the majority of the time isn't really true.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2019, 6:39 PM Post
sveumrules said:
The Brewers are 11-2 so far in games where they score between 3 & 5 runs, they don't need to score six to win.

Over the last 30 days our starting pitchers have a 2.99 ERA, 2nd best in the NL.

How about the month before? Are you willing to guarantee the same level of success next month with the same group? I mean, you can cherry pick a given month but that doesn't tell the whole story,

Yes, six runs a game is hyperbole but let's not pretend this team isn't dependent on out hitting the other team to win. Sure, they have some success against lesser offenses but when they play good offenses this becomes glaringly clear. I'm not sure 13 games is a representative sample.

Are you telling me they don't have a significantly better shot at beating the dodgers with a better rotation last year? Do you not recall the pitching kabuki they had to partake in against the Dodgers just to make it through. I'd say the lack of better starting options was absolutely their undoing unless you think the World Series is not the objective.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2019, 6:43 PM Post
I would argue all teams rely on out hitting the other team to win. Against the Dodgers last year, the pitchers did pretty good. Yeah we had to use some smoke and mirrors, but still we lost because we didnt outhit them.

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2019, 6:43 PM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
82brewcrew82 said:
It isn't fair to continue to ask this lineup to score a minimum of six runs a game to win the majority of the time.

Except this is false. The Brewers have allowed 5 runs (or more) 21 times in 54 games. The Brewers are 8th out of 15 NL in team ERA at 4.33

So the "minimum" of 6 runs to win a game the majority of the time isn't really true.

They've also given up the fifth most runs in the NL and have only a +14 run differential.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2019, 6:48 PM Post
82brewcrew82 said:
RoCoBrewfan said:
82brewcrew82 said:

They've also given up the fifth most runs in the NL and have only a +14 run differential.

The have probably given up more runs than a few teams bc they have played a lot of games and they have played a lot of games against good teams

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2019, 6:48 PM Post
young guns said:
I would argue all teams rely on out hitting the other team to win. Against the Dodgers last year, the pitchers did pretty good. Yeah we had to use some smoke and mirrors, but still we lost because we didnt outhit them.

Maybe we wouldn't of had to if we had better starting options and didn't have to use smoke and mirrors.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2019, 6:49 PM Post
jjfanec said:
The have probably given up more runs than a few teams bc they have played a lot of games and they have played a lot of games against good teams

That doesn't explain a paltry run differential.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2019, 6:50 PM Post
Look, all I'm saying is the rotation isn't up to par. If you all want to believe it is, great, but there is more than enough evidence out there to suggest it isn't.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2019, 6:56 PM Post
The bullpen was much better last year too. That covered up a lot of flaws.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2019, 6:56 PM Post
Seemed odd to pull Gio mid inning with nobody on.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2019, 6:57 PM Post
In the last 30 days Brewers starting pitchers are 10-5 with a 3.04 ERA (3rd best in MLB). They have also allowed 0.93 HR/9 (6th in MLB) and have allowed less than a hit per inning. They started the season terrible and have solidified very nicely.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2019, 6:58 PM Post
A lot of close pitches not called to Sano...and now there is a 2 out threat.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2019, 6:59 PM Post
82brewcrew82 said:
sveumrules said:

How about the month before? Are you willing to guarantee the same level of success next month with the same group? I mean, you can cherry pick a given month but that doesn't tell the whole story,

Yes, six runs a game is hyperbole but let's not pretend this team isn't dependent on out hitting the other team to win. Sure, they have some success against lesser offenses but when they play good offenses this becomes glaringly clear. I'm not sure 13 games is a representative sample.

Are you telling me they don't have a significantly better shot at beating the dodgers with a better rotation last year? Do you not recall the pitching kabuki they had to partake in against the Dodgers just to make it through. I'd say the lack of better starting options was absolutely their undoing unless you think the World Series is not the objective.

The rotation is better this year than Last, if for no other reason we now have a clear #1/ace in Woodruff, and healthy Davis.

Bullpen 1-8 as good or better than at this time last year.

Offensively it’s tough with the worst production in baseball at 3rd(Shaw) and 3rd worst at first(Aguilar). Slightly below average year’s from them adds how many wins to our total this year?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2019, 7:00 PM Post
Global Moderator
82brewcrew82 said:
sveumrules said:

At the start of the season non scrap heap soft tossers Peralta & Burnes were in the rotation, so I'd say those results are less relevant moving forward.

I'd say neither the 2.99 ERA of the last 30 days nor the 5.14 ERA in April are representative of the true talent level of the rotation, but I would bet (& hope) our starters season ERA ends up closer to the former.

Of course having a better rotation would have helped last year, so would an extra 100 million in payroll. The rotation we did have lead us to the most wins in the NL & Game 7 of the NLCS in a season where half the posters on this board didn't predict we'd make the postseason. Hard for me to term that anything but a success.

Also, wow Jeffress.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 112 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply