LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  [ 152 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019-06-05: Marlins (Alcántara) at Brewers (Nelson) 6:40 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 8-3 -- The return of Jimmy Nelson spoiled by the Marlins]

Offline  Re: 2019-06-05: Marlins (Alcántara) at Brewers (Nelson) 6:40 PM CDT [The Return of Jimmy Nelson]
Posted: June 05, 2019, 9:12 PM Post
Bulldogboy said:
I wanted Kimbrel as much as the next guy but realistically this team could just as easily be selling off Moose and Grandal at the deadline. The run differential isn't the end all but the facts are this is an average team with way below average pitching and two key components in Cain and Braun looking older by the day.

This team needed a shot in the arm. Sending Hiura down not exactly that shot. Now we have to watch Aguilar flailing away continually til even mr patient Stearns can’t stand it anymore, and Thames K at 36% before we get a better bat or two here. kimbrel was the answere to the pen not just this year but the next two as well.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019-06-05: Marlins (Alcántara) at Brewers (Nelson) 6:40 PM CDT [The Return of Jimmy Nelson]
Posted: June 05, 2019, 9:15 PM Post
he should take Anderson spot.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-06-05: Marlins (Alcántara) at Brewers (Nelson) 6:40 PM CDT [The Return of Jimmy Nelson]
Posted: June 05, 2019, 9:15 PM Post
The 'stache said:
Being outscored 24-1 through two home games, by the lowest scoring team in baseball. Joy.

I don't drink, but this team has me considering if I should start.

A third of the way into the season, and I still have no clue who this team really is. We hit a lot of home runs, but we struggle to bring home guys in RISP when a single would do the trick. Our pitching staff can look very good for stretches, and then completely face plant against a team like the Marlins.

Being a Brewers fan inherently requires patience. But this year's squad is more frustrating than any in recent memory. The Marlins were hot at the plate coming into our series, so I can at least rationalize their hitting, and our inconsistency, a little bit. What I cannot rationalize, however, is our utter incompetence at the plate these two games. There are three legit All Stars in our lineup in Yelich, Grandal and Moustakas. Arcia is starting to show some of the promise he did when he was a top five prospect in baseball. Certainly his power is starting to become more evident. We had a phenom at second, and sent him back to AAA to bring up a guy that was All Star caliber as recently as last season. And all that offensive firepower got utterly shut down by. By the Marlins.

This is true. The nature of this offense though is going to produce stretches like this. No small ball. No speed. Poor baserunning. Terrible at moving runners. Worst in baseball at driving them in from third with less than two. Basically hit it out or die. They are dying right now.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 05, 2019, 9:21 PM Post
The 'stache said:
We hit a lot of home runs, but we struggle to bring home guys in RISP when a single would do the trick.

Two outs RISP: .256/.361/.500/.861
RISP: .257/.357/.476/.833

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 05, 2019, 9:28 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Bulldogboy said:
I wanted Kimbrel as much as the next guy but realistically this team could just as easily be selling off Moose and Grandal at the deadline. The run differential isn't the end all but the facts are this is an average team with way below average pitching and two key components in Cain and Braun looking older by the day.

This team needed a shot in the arm. Sending Hiura down not exactly that shot. Now we have to watch Aguilar flailing away continually til even mr patient Stearns can’t stand it anymore, and Thames K at 36% before we get a better bat or two here. kimbrel was the answere to the pen not just this year but the next two as well.

Yes, Thames' K rate is horrendous, but it's really not too far off from his career rate, and he's still being productive. Fangraphs has his ISO at .208, which is excellent. And his wRC+ of 121 is close to his 2017 level of 125 when he hit 30 + home runs. He's still getting on base (.369 OBP), and his BAbip (.364) is well above his career level of .310.

He looks like Ted Kluszewski compared to Aguilar; he's just fallen off a cliff. His ISO is .115, and his wRC+, which was 134 last year, is 62. I keep thinking he'll rebound slightly, as he's been unlucky as hell with a .227 BAbip (.301 career), but he just continues to flounder.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 05, 2019, 9:32 PM Post
Brew4U said:
The 'stache said:
We hit a lot of home runs, but we struggle to bring home guys in RISP when a single would do the trick.

Hmm, thank you for posting that, Brew4U. The 2 out RISP, especially surprises me, because there was a recent stretch where we were like 2 for 21 with men in scoring position and 2 outs. That just goes to show why sample size is so important to consider. One cold stretch is not necessarily indicative of a larger trend. It just feels like it in that moment.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 05, 2019, 9:38 PM Post
The 'stache said:
Brew4U said:
The 'stache said:

Hmm, thank you for posting that, Brew4U. The 2 out RISP, especially surprises me, because there was a recent stretch where we were like 2 for 21 with men in scoring position and 2 outs. That just goes to show why sample size is so important to consider. One cold stretch is not necessarily indicative of a larger trend. It just feels like it in that moment.

Yeah, when teams are in a slump, things always feel worse than they are. This team is out of whack in all phases right now. Hopefully it doesn’t continue for a long period of time.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 05, 2019, 9:39 PM Post
You know, I think I was getting that stat confused with runners on third and two outs. Looking at the Brewers' splits for the season (coming into tonight's game), we're hitting .207 in that situation, slashing .318/.423/.741. That's not awful. But two outs and only a guy on third, we're .143 AVG, .294/.357/.651. 4 for 28, 34 PA's in total. I think the comment was on that last split, and it stuck in my mind as overall RISP.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-06-05: Marlins (Alcántara) at Brewers (Nelson) 6:40 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 8-3 -- The return of Jimmy Nelson spoiled by the Marlins]
Posted: June 05, 2019, 9:40 PM Post
Makes sense. They definitely need to do a better job in those spots.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 05, 2019, 9:41 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Yeah, when teams are in a slump, things always feel worse than they are. This team is out of whack in all phases right now. Hopefully it doesn’t continue for a long period of time.

That, and my mind seems to be aging at an exponential rate. [laughing]

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-06-05: Marlins (Alcántara) at Brewers (Nelson) 6:40 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 8-3 -- The return of Jimmy Nelson spoiled by the Marlins]
Posted: June 05, 2019, 10:10 PM Post
we had a pretty bad stretch with the bases loaded last road trip or so.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 06, 2019, 8:32 AM Post
Down in FL we get all of the Marlins games and they haven't played like this at all until recently. We haven't played well but I can't see the fish playing like this for much longer. I hope we can salvage today's game but with Freddy on the mound I'm not all that confident. [sad]

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  [ 152 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply