LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 146 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019-06-14: Brewers (Davies) at Giants (Pomeranz) [Brewers lose, 5-3]

Online  Re: 2019-06-14: Brewers (Davies) at Giants (Pomeranz) 9:15 PM CDT
Posted: June 14, 2019, 11:20 PM Post
mtrebs said:
Braun is hitting around .270. In an era where superstars hit under .250, he’s still doing well. His bat is the least of our worries.

He’s definitely playable. No doubt

He’s going to hit 20 hrs this year. I can live with that

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-06-14: Brewers (Davies) at Giants (Pomeranz) 9:15 PM CDT
Posted: June 14, 2019, 11:20 PM Post
Don’t you think some of you are overreacting? The offense has honestly been pretty good this year and yeah we have a few guys that need to improve, but the season has a lot of baseball left. I for one have zero concerns about our lineup.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 14, 2019, 11:21 PM Post
mtrebs said:
Braun is hitting around .270. In an era where superstars hit under .250, he’s still doing well. His bat is the least of our worries.

Braun is hitting. 264. I don't know what superstars are hitting under .250, but a 270 batting average is a bad bar to use to judge his performance.

I never said his bat is a huge concern. Again, people just don't want to hear it a hint of negativity on Braun.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 14, 2019, 11:22 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
The difference between watching Will Smith and Alex Claudio pitch is mind boggling.

What was your thoughts in Xavier cedeno last year?

I wasn’t that impressed with him as a loogy either

To be honest I’m kind of done with loogys in general in this new era

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 14, 2019, 11:25 PM Post
Coming into today lefties has a .526 OPS off Claudio, so he's doing what he's always done. We just traded for him to be something more and he's just not that guy.

I hope that is all ok to say about Claudio as I realize it's rather obvious.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 14, 2019, 11:28 PM Post
willie key said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
The difference between watching Will Smith and Alex Claudio pitch is mind boggling.

I thought Claudio would be an improvement on Cedeno. He hasn't been.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 14, 2019, 11:32 PM Post
Don’t you think some of you are overreacting? The offense has honestly been pretty good this year and yeah we have a few guys that need to improve, but the season has a lot of baseball left. I for one have zero concerns about our lineup.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 14, 2019, 11:33 PM Post
This loss is on Aguilar. Missed a fairly routine pick at 1b. Failed to throw to 2b on pickoff. Next batters hit homers

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 14, 2019, 11:33 PM Post
TexasCheesehead said:

Yelich !,Moose !, Grandal !,has been our offense this year. With an occasional Braun and Arcia. Not enough, need more.

Last edited by Brew crew 92 on June 14, 2019, 11:52 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 14, 2019, 11:34 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
willie key said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

I thought Claudio would be an improvement on Cedeno. He hasn't been.

I thought Cedeno was fine for what we acquired him to be. LOOGY'S are kind of a dime a dozen, but they're a burnt roster spot for a very limited role, so either you value that role and roster a LOOGY or you don't.

The problem with Claudio is that we acquired him to be our Will Smith, not our Xavier Cedeno and he's just not fit for that.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 14, 2019, 11:35 PM Post
TexasCheesehead said:

Overreaction and negativity are IGT staples. If you only read the IGT to follow this team on a day-to-day basis, you'd think the team is competing with the Orioles for the #1 pick in 2020.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 14, 2019, 11:40 PM Post
adambr2 said:
mtrebs said:

Braun is hitting. 264. I don't know what superstars are hitting under .250, but a 270 batting average is a bad bar to use to judge his performance.

I never said his bat is a huge concern. Again, people just don't want to hear it a hint of negativity on Braun.

Complete agreed. Even when was was around .200 at the break last year people flipped out. I’m one of 500 posters to make one comment about the guy and it’s a full on bee colony attacking. It’s weird. He’s ok. We can talk about him sucking when he sucks. We’re not kicking a puppy when pointing out the obvious .

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 14, 2019, 11:47 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
TexasCheesehead said:

Yelich Moose Grandal has been our offense this year. With an occasional Braun and Arcia. Not enough, need more.

Please use punctuation so my eyes don’t hurt.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 14, 2019, 11:50 PM Post
I still stand by Braun, but I’d like to try him at 1, 2, or 5 for a while.

It also seems like Yelich gets set before the pitch, but Brain isn’t finished bringing his hands down when the ball is on the way. The result is he’s late to all high fastballs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 14, 2019, 11:55 PM Post
phnxcrew said:
adambr2 said:
mtrebs said:

Complete agreed. Even when was was around .200 at the break last year people flipped out. I’m one of 500 posters to make one comment about the guy and it’s a full on bee colony attacking. It’s weird. He’s ok. We can talk about him sucking when he sucks. We’re not kicking a puppy when pointing out the obvious .

Agreed, and to add to this, I've more than given Braun his due this year when he's been good. My post history will back that up. So I do resent the idea that it can't work the other way around and really resent the implication that I've done nothing but dog on him for 3+ years on a "weekly" basis.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2019, 12:24 AM Post

GIF Master
Braun is a perfectly adequate player. He's on the tail end of his career, has had to work through nagging injuries, and is still productive. He's obviously not an All-Star, but he's a good enough player. Maybe he's overpaid now, but whatever. It doesn't matter. Sometimes he has bad games. Sometimes he has good games. Who cares.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2019, 1:01 AM Post
dlk9s said:
It doesn't matter.

dlk9s said:
Who cares.

This perfectly illustrates the point of myself and phnxcrew. No other player elicits this "shut up, let's not talk about it" reaction. I've been more than generous with my descriptions of Braun, who has literally been a replacement level MLB player in 2019. And to that end, I think he's better than that -- I don't think WAR is the end all. I'm just a little bit confounded as to why people seem to be so uncomfortable discussing it when Ryan Braun struggles.

It does matter, and I care. I imagine we all care about the good and bad performances of every player on the Milwaukee Brewers.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2019, 4:13 AM Post
This is shaping up as a rough series.

Facing two lefty starters and a lefty closer in a park where the Brewers can’t hit home runs but the old, boring opponent can. To top it off, they’ll have Estabrook calling balls and strikes today where replay can’t correct his mistakes. Bumgarner has been erratic this year, but with the strike zone Estabrook uses for the Brewers batters he should be good for at least two K’s per inning.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2019, 4:46 AM Post
DHonks said:
I still stand by Braun, but I’d like to try him at 1, 2, or 5 for a while.

It also seems like Yelich gets set before the pitch, but Brain isn’t finished bringing his hands down when the ball is on the way. The result is he’s late to all high fastballs

Tinkering with the top of the batting order would likely have no impact on the Brewers run scoring. The way it is set up now accomplishes three things. It alternates lefties and righties about as well as they can do it, puts the faster base runners ahead of the slower ones, and gives Yelich a lot of at bats. Cain’s plunging OBP is hurting the offense a lot more than Braun’s hitting, but I wouldn’t really want to put Cain lower in the order unless and until he establishes that this is a permanent regression.

Braun is maddening when he has nights like last night, but it’s easy to forget how many key hits he has had this season. Just last weekend he had a game breaking 3 run HR on Friday and a tie breaking RBI single on Saturday. His first inning HR against Verlander didn’t hurt either. As other’s have said, Braun’s offense is pretty low on the list of the Brewers problems.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2019, 5:22 AM Post
Cain should probably be moved down, but they really don't have a true leadoff hitter with him struggling.

Thames reaches at about a .380 clip, he is not a terrible idea in that spot. Grandal also carries a respectable OBP. I would probably swap Braun and Grandal at least. I am not totally opposed to trying Arcia higher in the order.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 146 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply