LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  [ 237 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019-07-02: Brewers (Anderson) at Reds (Roark) [Brewers lose, 5-4 in 11 innings -- Bullpen falters in the late innings, Reds walk-off on lackadaisical error]

Author Message
Offline  Re: 2019-07-02: Brewers (Anderson) at Reds (Roark) 6:10 PM CDT
Posted: July 02, 2019, 8:44 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2222
yourout said:
The whole pitch sequence to Inglesias was just awful once they got to two strikes.
The dude was diving out at everything and was just begging to get buzzed up and in with a fastball. You got an upper 90s fastball. Use it.


Yeah, I don't mind 0-2 fastballs if they are high and tight. Woulda been a good pitch to Puig too.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-07-02: Brewers (Anderson) at Reds (Roark) [Brewers lose, 5-4 in 11 innings -- Bullpen falters in the late innings, Reds walk-off on lackadaisical error]
Posted: July 02, 2019, 8:46 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2222
Meanwhile, the Cubs are scuffling worse than us right now.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-07-02: Brewers (Anderson) at Reds (Roark) 6:10 PM CDT
Posted: July 02, 2019, 8:47 PM Post
Posts: 1295
Oxy said:
yourout said:
The whole pitch sequence to Inglesias was just awful once they got to two strikes.
The dude was diving out at everything and was just begging to get buzzed up and in with a fastball. You got an upper 90s fastball. Use it.


Yeah, I don't mind 0-2 fastballs if they are high and tight. Woulda been a good pitch to Puig too.

They set up on the outer half with the fastball which was the exact wrong thing to do after throwing him four other pitches out there.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-07-02: Brewers (Anderson) at Reds (Roark) 6:10 PM CDT
Posted: July 02, 2019, 8:49 PM Post
Posts: 4245
PinaMadness said:
jerichoholicninja said:
Told my wife I'm going to turn the Brewers on to watch them lose. Three pitches later that happens. Now, I'm just here to read the comments.

Here's a recap of what you missed.

Anderson being pulled prematurely.

Counsell leaving in Albers to pitch to Votto.

Yelich bunting in the 11th

Walk off bad cutoff fundamentals.

Did I miss anything else?

Oh, I forgot Braun's "I'll just turn this double into a triple" effort attempting to field a ball and Hiura's "Please touch my glove" tag attempt. Neither one cost us but it's still bad fundamental baseball.

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-07-02: Brewers (Anderson) at Reds (Roark) [Brewers lose, 5-4 in 11 innings -- Bullpen falters in the late innings, Reds walk-off on lackadaisical error]
Posted: July 02, 2019, 8:51 PM Post
Posts: 18985
Oxy said:
Meanwhile, the Cubs are scuffling worse than us right now.


At this point, not thinking about the Cubs. There are other threats in the Central.

We need to fix our house. The rest of the division doesn't matter if we can't do that.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019-07-02: Brewers (Anderson) at Reds (Roark) [Brewers lose, 5-4 in 11 innings -- Bullpen falters in the late innings, Reds walk-off on lackadaisical error]
Posted: July 02, 2019, 8:52 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6522
Counsell admitted not going to Claudio to face Votto in the 8th inning was a mistake. At least he took ownership for it.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-07-02: Brewers (Anderson) at Reds (Roark) [Brewers lose, 5-4 in 11 innings -- Bullpen falters in the late innings, Reds walk-off on lackadaisical error]
Posted: July 02, 2019, 8:53 PM Post
Posts: 4245
OK, to CC's credit he admitted his mistake of leaving Albers in to pitch to Votto. Sorry don't feed the bulldog though.

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019-07-02: Brewers (Anderson) at Reds (Roark) [Brewers lose, 5-4 in 11 innings -- Bullpen falters in the late innings, Reds walk-off on lackadaisical error]
Posted: July 02, 2019, 8:53 PM Post
Posts: 3392
Counsel flat out said it was a bad decision to stick with Albers against Votto. At least he owned it.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-07-02: Brewers (Anderson) at Reds (Roark) [Brewers lose, 5-4 in 11 innings -- Bullpen falters in the late innings, Reds walk-off on lackadaisical error]
Posted: July 02, 2019, 8:55 PM Post
Posts: 18985
PinaMadness said:
OK, to CC's credit he admitted his mistake of leaving Albers in to pitch to Votto. Sorry don't feed the bulldog though.


Yep: " I made a bad decision there. I overthhought it. "

I respect the heck out of that. No one is perfect, but it's refreshing to hear him admit it. Not because I need to hear him say it but because it shows he's willing to learn from his mistakes and do it differently next time. I'll take that every time over the stubborn manager who says he was right and he'll do the same thing next time.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-07-02: Brewers (Anderson) at Reds (Roark) [Brewers lose, 5-4 in 11 innings -- Bullpen falters in the late innings, Reds walk-off on lackadaisical error]
Posted: July 02, 2019, 8:55 PM Post
Posts: 11948
Yelich has nothing to do with that last play. Thames was lazy as hell trying to get that ball. That may go down on Yelich, but that was all Thames. Get in front of the ball. The other part was the pathetic fundamentals. What the hell is Burnes doing on the first base side of home plate? The ball is coming from RF. Grandal should have gone to back up Thames when he saw the off throw and Burnes should have them got to home to cover home.

That was terrible. The off throw should have been meaningless because all they had to do was stop the ball as no one could advance if they just simply got the ball.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-07-02: Brewers (Anderson) at Reds (Roark) [Brewers lose, 5-4 in 11 innings -- Bullpen falters in the late innings, Reds walk-off on lackadaisical error]
Posted: July 02, 2019, 8:58 PM Post
Posts: 3462
MrTPlush said:
Yelich has nothing to do with that last play. Thames was lazy as hell trying to get that ball. That may go down on Yelich, but that was all Thames. Get in front of the ball. The other part was the pathetic fundamentals. What the hell is Burnes doing on the first base side of home plate? The ball is coming from RF. Grandal should have gone to back up Thames when he saw the off throw and Burnes should have them got to home to cover home.

That was terrible. The off throw should have been meaningless because all they had to do was stop the ball as no one could advance if they just simply got the ball.


It looked to me that Burnes was backing Grandal on the 3rd base side.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-07-02: Brewers (Anderson) at Reds (Roark) [Brewers lose, 5-4 in 11 innings -- Bullpen falters in the late innings, Reds walk-off on lackadaisical error]
Posted: July 02, 2019, 8:58 PM Post
Posts: 1219
That was terrible from Thames. Utterly ridiculous


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-07-02: Brewers (Anderson) at Reds (Roark) [Brewers lose, 5-4 in 11 innings -- Bullpen falters in the late innings, Reds walk-off on lackadaisical error]
Posted: July 02, 2019, 9:01 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2222
MrTPlush said:
Yelich has nothing to do with that last play. Thames was lazy as hell trying to get that ball. That may go down on Yelich, but that was all Thames. Get in front of the ball. The other part was the pathetic fundamentals. What the hell is Burnes doing on the first base side of home plate? The ball is coming from RF. Grandal should have gone to back up Thames when he saw the off throw and Burnes should have them got to home to cover home.

That was terrible. The off throw should have been meaningless because all they had to do was stop the ball as no one could advance if they just simply got the ball.


Meh. The ball was a lollipop in from right (which is fine as nobody was going to advance on that play as long as people do their job). Thames has to stop the ball, period. He had oodles of time to get in position to make the catch and/or stop. If Yeli had fired it in there is a MUCH higher likelihood that the ball is offline and mishandled by somebody and the run comes in. Everybody was in the right position and did the right thing until Thames' bad mis-play.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-07-02: Brewers (Anderson) at Reds (Roark) 6:10 PM CDT
Posted: July 02, 2019, 9:08 PM Post
Posts: 2311
wildcat83 said:
adambr2 said:
yourout said:
Lost in all of that greatness was another really awful 0-2 pitch.
Burns really seems to have a penchant for piping two strike pitches.


I really don't think that awful 0-2 pitch was lost on anyone. It's been discussed.


Think he was referring to the second one of the inning on the walk off. It was equally bad as the one to Puig.


The last 2 ABs. I don't love when pitchers try to nibble but up 0-2 you don't throw a belt high FB. Ever. He did it 2 AB in a row.

Maybe he needs to learn how to pitch and it isn't a command issue. Good grief. He gave them what they wanted while being ahead in the count.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-07-02: Brewers (Anderson) at Reds (Roark) 6:10 PM CDT
Posted: July 02, 2019, 9:51 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9272
Bulldogboy said:
adambr2 said:
Our non-Hader pen options suck.

I brought up that we need some better non Hader options yesterday but was shouted down. Of course this is obvious to anyone who has watched this team for even a week but whatever.


No one shouted you down on that point. At all. In fact, several posters distinctly agreed with you on the need for more pen arms. The disagreement was 100% with your overworking Hader comment, which you must have assumed without actually looking at his usage. They haven't done it in two seasons, they aren't doing it now, and while there may be a temptation to do it in the future, I think most believe they will continue to be smart with his usage. Yes, you are correct that not having better options may cost games, but they aren't going to risk their all-world closer.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-07-02: Brewers (Anderson) at Reds (Roark) [Brewers lose, 5-4 in 11 innings -- Bullpen falters in the late innings, Reds walk-off on lackadaisical error]
Posted: July 02, 2019, 9:57 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 5474
I found it funny on that Puig 0-2 pitch. Bill Schroeder says, right before the pitch while he's looking for the sign, "Burnes has to come with a fastball here. Up at the letters."

So, we all saw the fastball that, obviously, was NOT at the letters.

I started laughing and scream-laughing at the TV as Bill, solemnly, declares as Puig rounds first base with his single, "Well, he shouldn't have thrown a fastball there."

Bill, you LITERALLY just said to throw a fastball up at the letters! Now, it's true he didn't get it high enough. But, good lord, that was crazy bad analysis.


As for Yelich bunting, here's my take: Leading off the 11th, with a shift on, he probably decided on his own, to just try to punch one to the 3rd base side and see what happens. Now I can't really remember exactly right now, but I can kind of visualize that pitch coming in and Yelich squares up but kind of pulls the bat back too late and (maybe accidentally?) made contact, bunting it back to the mound. Almost like a, "whoops, I didn't mean to do that!" kind of thing. Maybe I am mis-remembering, and, if so, that's fine--I'll own up to it.

I didn't have a problem with Yelich's throw in the 11th. He overshot the short cutoff (Huira) and then Thames had to play a short hop. The problem, I think, was Thames looked at the runner, Puig, as the ball got to his glove and ended up doing the same thing you see every NFL Sunday when a wide receiver starts to run before fully making the reception and ends up dropping the ball. Unfortunately, that ball skipped off his glove into no-man's land. Burnes was in the right place backing up the plate/third base area. Moose was at the bag at third and, I assume, that Arcia was at the bag at second.

And if you watch the low replay from behind the plate that pans the third base line, Puig actually came to a near full stop at third base, slightly rounding it. He then took off after the deflection by Thames.

Anyway, it was a disappointing ending. Enough said.

At least the Cubs are down, too. (Like it really matters on July 2nd.)

- - - - - - - - -
P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-07-02: Brewers (Anderson) at Reds (Roark) [Brewers lose, 5-4 in 11 innings -- Bullpen falters in the late innings, Reds walk-off on lackadaisical error]
Posted: July 03, 2019, 3:35 AM Post
Posts: 4245
pitchleague said:
I found it funny on that Puig 0-2 pitch. Bill Schroeder says, right before the pitch while he's looking for the sign, "Burnes has to come with a fastball here. Up at the letters."

So, we all saw the fastball that, obviously, was NOT at the letters.

I started laughing and scream-laughing at the TV as Bill, solemnly, declares as Puig rounds first base with his single, "Well, he shouldn't have thrown a fastball there."

Bill, you LITERALLY just said to throw a fastball up at the letters! Now, it's true he didn't get it high enough. But, good lord, that was crazy bad analysis.


As for Yelich bunting, here's my take: Leading off the 11th, with a shift on, he probably decided on his own, to just try to punch one to the 3rd base side and see what happens. Now I can't really remember exactly right now, but I can kind of visualize that pitch coming in and Yelich squares up but kind of pulls the bat back too late and (maybe accidentally?) made contact, bunting it back to the mound. Almost like a, "whoops, I didn't mean to do that!" kind of thing. Maybe I am mis-remembering, and, if so, that's fine--I'll own up to it.

I didn't have a problem with Yelich's throw in the 11th. He overshot the short cutoff (Huira) and then Thames had to play a short hop. The problem, I think, was Thames looked at the runner, Puig, as the ball got to his glove and ended up doing the same thing you see every NFL Sunday when a wide receiver starts to run before fully making the reception and ends up dropping the ball. Unfortunately, that ball skipped off his glove into no-man's land. Burnes was in the right place backing up the plate/third base area. Moose was at the bag at third and, I assume, that Arcia was at the bag at second.

And if you watch the low replay from behind the plate that pans the third base line, Puig actually came to a near full stop at third base, slightly rounding it. He then took off after the deflection by Thames.

Anyway, it was a disappointing ending. Enough said.

At least the Cubs are down, too. (Like it really matters on July 2nd.)

What Rock said after the hit was there was no need to throw a strike.

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  [ 237 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test