LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  [ 260 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019-07-12: Giants (Anderson) at Brewers (Anderson) [Brewers lose, 10-7 in 10 innings -- Bullpen woes continue to start the 2nd half]

Offline  Re: 2019-07-12: Giants (Anderson) at Brewers (Anderson) 7:10 PM CDT
Posted: July 12, 2019, 9:56 PM Post
Bulldogboy said:
rondoman said:
https://mobile.twitter.com/tangotiger/status/1149879671447851008?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Damn. That's crazy.

Travis Shaw. About right.

The grand slam was to Posey and it was only his 4th HR on the season. It seems like we’ve been giving up a lot of home runs to guys that don’t hit a lot of home runs lately.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 12, 2019, 10:00 PM Post
Well, Taylor Williams just K'd Brett Phillips to get the save for the Missions ... so there's that.

I do wonder who they are going to grab tomorrow when they inevitably send Dubon down. It would be nice if they sent Saladino down, but I think Counsell likes having that versatile crappy vet he can throw in anywhere.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019-07-12: Giants (Anderson) at Brewers (Anderson) 7:10 PM CDT
Posted: July 12, 2019, 10:06 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
I don't buy into the DJ thing. Letting Miley walk for $4.5 million blew my mind at the time and now. I don't know what the hell he was thinking.

One decent starter missing did not cause the rest of the pitching staff to collapse. Burnes having a 8+ ERA and Barnes and Williams being gas cans this year has nothing to do with Miley.

Miley wasn't even pitching for the first half of last season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 12, 2019, 10:06 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
This team is not that bad. Its been a second half team the last 2 years, a pen arm or two acquired at the deadline, a couple of call-ups, and we’re in business.

Not that it really matters, because each year’s team is different, but the Brewers weren’t a second half team two years ago. At the break they were 10 games over .500 and had a 5.5 game lead in the division. But they collapsed right after, fell all the way to .500, and rebounded enough to get close to the second wild card spot.

And this year’s team isn’t going to be rescued by anyone in their minor league system or one or two of the types of bullpen arms that would be available.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 12, 2019, 10:10 PM Post
The crazy thing that I can't get over is that we are still only 1.5 games out. The way we've been playing lately it feels more like we should be 5-7 out. Heck we are only half a game out the WC. It will be interesting to see where we are in two weeks. I could see us being sellers if this continues, but we aren't going to sell any big pieces like Hader. It will be a bit of a salary dump for lottery tickets and try again next year. What a frustrating season to this point.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 12, 2019, 10:14 PM Post
adambr2 said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:
I don't buy into the DJ thing. Letting Miley walk for $4.5 million blew my mind at the time and now. I don't know what the hell he was thinking.

One decent starter missing did not cause the rest of the pitching staff to collapse. Burnes having a 8+ ERA and Barnes and Williams being gas cans this year has nothing to do with Miley.

Literally has nothing to do with what I said nor did I insinuate any of those things.

I am simply saying not bringing him back was stupid. It was stupid. A lot of people thought it was stupid, even at the time it was not done. I've said, one page ago, that this team has far more problems than would be fixed by signing one guy or doing one trade. But the Miley thing was still stupid.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 12, 2019, 10:15 PM Post
Brewcrewin07 said:
adambr2 said:
Brewcrewin07, I honestly don't know what you are looking for them to do. They are not one big trade away from contention. Stearns cannot wave a magic wand and fix every problem on this team. They could trade every useful prospect and still wouldn't have nearly as good of a team as the Dodgers. They cannot add much for payroll. They simply aren't in a great position to contend.

They can add payroll, don't believe that freaking fallacy...Get a TOR arm, a couple of lights out bullpen arms and how different does this team suddenly look??

How the heck are you going to add an ace pitcher and two lights out relievers with our limited trade capital competing with teams with great farm systems?

What TOR pitcher is even available?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 12, 2019, 10:21 PM Post
BruisedCrew said:
Brew crew 92 said:
This team is not that bad. Its been a second half team the last 2 years, a pen arm or two acquired at the deadline, a couple of call-ups, and we’re in business.

Not that it really matters, because each year’s team is different, but the Brewers weren’t a second half team two years ago. At the break they were 10 games over .500 and had a 5.5 game lead in the division. But they collapsed right after, fell all the way to .500, and rebounded enough to get close to the second wild card spot.

And this year’s team isn’t going to be rescued by anyone in their minor league system or one or two of the types of bullpen arms that would be available.

Ok, a great September team. And that’s your opinion about the farm and What Stearns can accomplish at the deadline. I happen to disagree. We have a couple strong pen arms that will be called up at some point, and I believe Stearns acquires a pen arm that helps our bullpen .like swarzak and soria helped our pen the last two years.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 12, 2019, 10:23 PM Post
PinaMadness said:
Yeah, the worst thing you can be is a middling team. Not good enough to be a serious contender but not bad enough to be sellers.

At the risk of triggering the delicate sensibilities of certain posters on this forum, this is exactly what they are and have been for quite some time now.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 12, 2019, 10:23 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
adambr2 said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:

Literally has nothing to do with what I said nor did I insinuate any of those things.

I am simply saying not bringing him back was stupid. It was stupid. A lot of people thought it was stupid, even at the time it was not done. I've said, one page ago, that this team has far more problems than would be fixed by signing one guy or doing one trade. But the Miley thing was still stupid.

I wanted Miley back. But we don't know even know if he wanted to come back for the same deal as he got from Houston.

FWIW, his peripherals are not all that attractive. His BABIP is unsustainably low, his strand rate is unsustainably high. His FIP and xFIP are both 4.33, about league average. He plays in front of an elite defense-- playing in front of our mediocre defense, I'm not sure how attractive his numbers would really be.

Would he be helpful, yeah probably, just because our pitching staff is that bad, but I doubt he moves the needle as much as his ERA in Houston seems to indicate.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-07-12: Giants (Anderson) at Brewers (Anderson) [Brewers lose, 10-7 in 10 innings -- Bullpen woes continue to start the 2nd half]
Posted: July 12, 2019, 10:25 PM Post
Has anyone noticed that this slide directly coincided with Stearns sending Hiura down the first time?? You should never anger the baseball gods.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 12, 2019, 10:28 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:

Ok, a great September team. And that’s your opinion about the farm and What Stearns can accomplish at the deadline. I happen to disagree. We have a couple strong pen arms that will be called up at some point

Who? Marcos Diplan? Jacob Barnes? Taylor Williams? Donnie Hart?

I would say a big difference between this year and last is that we DON'T have the pen reinforcements in the farm to save us late in the year like we did last season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 12, 2019, 10:38 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Brew crew 92 said:

Ok, a great September team. And that’s your opinion about the farm and What Stearns can accomplish at the deadline. I happen to disagree. We have a couple strong pen arms that will be called up at some point

I would say a big difference between this year and last is that we DON'T have the pen reinforcements in the farm to save us late in the year like we did last season.

Devin Williams could be last year’s Corbin Burnes. Don’t rule out Rasmussen or Andrews or Perdomo either. September’s pen will be shutdown again.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 12, 2019, 10:56 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
adambr2 said:
Brew crew 92 said:

Devin Williams could be last year’s Corbin Burnes. Don’t rule out Rasmussen or Andrews or Perdomo either. September’s pen will be shutdown again.

So you are expecting 4 guys, who are nowhere near the top 100 type prospects that Burnes, Peralta and Woodruff were, and 3 of which have never pitched above AA, to come in and just be shutdown relievers at the MLB level this season?

That is way, way more optimistic than I could possibly be. I think there's a better chance of Williams or Barnes figuring it out and being a factor than any of those guys really being major contributors down the stretch. I think you'll maybe, MAYBE see one of the four even crack the 40 this year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 12, 2019, 10:59 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
adambr2 said:
Brew crew 92 said:

Or they could all suck and the pen will circle the drain even further...honestly at this point that is probably a more likely scenario

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-07-12: Giants (Anderson) at Brewers (Anderson) [Brewers lose, 10-7 in 10 innings -- Bullpen woes continue to start the 2nd half]
Posted: July 12, 2019, 11:00 PM Post
Once we get Marcus Stroman and Alex Colome we'll be good.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019-07-12: Giants (Anderson) at Brewers (Anderson) [Brewers lose, 10-7 in 10 innings -- Bullpen woes continue to start the 2nd half]
Posted: July 12, 2019, 11:13 PM Post
I think Williams might be called up at some point but i don't think Stearns will make that big trade this season . I think if they send Dubon down Saladino should also go and call up spandberg from SA.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 12, 2019, 11:14 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
adambr2 said:
Brew crew 92 said:

I think you can rule out every single one of them. Williams is walking over five batters per 9 Perdomo is walking over eight batters per nine in AAA. Andrews just now reached AA and Rasmussen has had his struggles there. You tend to have an overly optimistic (and really unrealistic) view of our depth. It isn't all that good.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 13, 2019, 5:37 AM Post
I’m not gonna freak out over a couple of bad decision by our manager(taking out Anderson after 5 and 69 pitches)(Hader Pitching the ninth) and a rusty bullpen.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 13, 2019, 6:48 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
If you're a wild card winner you can be a world series winner. It's baseball.

Personally don't think this team gets even close. They are gassed, with a bunch of mediocre horses fighting like hell, but they just aren't good enough. I don't think they'll win 80 games by the time fatigue sets in.

Then perhaps it is time to emulate the Marlins and have a fire sale seeing we are a game and a half out of first place. And it should start with CC. Why he never has another reliever up just in case is puzzling to me. After a couple of batters it was evident that Albers didn't have it last night but because no one else was ready to go we were screwed.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  [ 260 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply