LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next  [ 352 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019-08-01: Brewers (Anderson) at Athletics (Bailey) 2:37 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-3 -- Trent Grisham’s MLB Debut; Bullpen blows lead by allowing 4 runs over final 2 innings]

Offline  2019-08-01: Brewers (Anderson) at Athletics (Bailey) 2:37 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-3 -- Trent Grisham’s MLB Debut; Bullpen blows lead by allowing 4 runs over final 2 innings]

Posted: August 01, 2019, 6:36 AM Post
Global Moderator

Brewers Lineup       	          Athletics Lineup

1. Yasmani Grandal (S) C 1. Marcus Semien (R) SS
2. Christian Yelich (L) RF 2. Robbie Grossman (S) LF
3. Keston Hiura (R) 2B 3. Matt Chapman (R) 3B
4. Mike Moustakas (L) 3B 4. Matt Olson (L) 1B
5. Ryan Braun (R) LF 5. Khris Davis (R) DH
6. Eric Thames (L) DH 6. Mark Canha (R) CF
7. Travis Shaw (L) 1B 7. Jurickson Profar (S) 2B
8. Orlando Arcia (R) SS 8. Chad Pinder (R) RF
9. Trent Grisham (L) CF 9. Beau Taylor (L) C

Chase Anderson: Batter (A’s) vs Pitching Stats

Homer Bailey: Batter (Brewers) vs Pitching Stats

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-08-01: Brewers (Anderson) at Athletics (Bailey) 2:37 PM CDT [Trent Grisham’s MLB Debut]

Posted: August 01, 2019, 6:41 AM Post
Didn't realize Homer was with Oakland.

Maybe Milwaukee can give him a good "welcome back".

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019-08-01: Brewers (Anderson) at Athletics (Bailey) 2:37 PM CDT [Trent Grisham’s MLB Debut]

Posted: August 01, 2019, 6:47 AM Post
Zad Fnark said:
Didn't realize Homer was with Oakland.

Maybe Milwaukee can give him a good "welcome back".

At least the Brewers can't claim unfamiliarity with the pitcher if the bats don't get going. Bailey has faced them upwards of 30 times over the years. This is the first time in awhile where the pitching matchup looks better for the Brewers on paper.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-08-01: Brewers (Anderson) at Athletics (Bailey) 2:37 PM CDT [Trent Grisham’s MLB Debut]

Posted: August 01, 2019, 6:49 AM Post
Global Moderator
Happy Trent Grisham Debut Day!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2019, 7:16 AM Post
Guessing the moves today will be:

Pomeranz added to active roster. Taylor Williams optioned to AAA.

Trent Grisham contract selected. Travis Shaw optioned to AAA. Tyrone Taylor designated for assignment.

Shaw can come back up in September, but he's 0-7 since being recalled and he's not likely to get many starts anywhere anyways. Taylor basically lost the year due to injury, hoping we can hang onto him and maybe he can be an emergency option in case of injury next year too.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019-08-01: Brewers (Anderson) at Athletics (Bailey) 2:37 PM CDT [Trent Grisham’s MLB Debut]

Posted: August 01, 2019, 7:20 AM Post
Greenleaf1 said:

Trent Grisham contract selected. Travis Shaw optioned to AAA. Tyrone Taylor designated for assignment.

Shaw can come back up in September, but he's 0-7 since being recalled and he's not likely to get many starts anywhere anyways. Taylor basically lost the year due to injury, hoping we can hang onto him and maybe he can be an emergency option in case of injury next year too.

I could see Jacob Barnes possibly DFA'd as well, especially with the influx of pitching from yesterday's deals. Taylor has been hitting better lately and finally starting to put his injuries this year behind him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2019, 7:30 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Greenleaf1 said:

I could see Jacob Barnes possibly DFA'd as well, especially with the influx of pitching from yesterday's deals. Taylor has been hitting better lately and finally starting to put his injuries this year behind him.

I guess my thought was that they'd want as many of these bullpen arms up in September as possible, including Williams/Barnes, but with the addition of Grisham (plus Stokes is on the 40-man as well), they're pretty covered in the backup CF position, at least for this season.

I guess I'd expect a DFA of Burch Smith before Barnes too, but you're right, with the added bullpen arms, they could probably stand to lose one of the fringe guys from the 40-man. I would guess that whoever we DFA won't stay in the org.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2019, 8:25 AM Post
I’m excited to see Grisham debut. Glad it’s a day game so we don’t have to wait till 9 PM.

I would have guessed Bailey’s numbers against the Brewers would have looked better. I remember him having some really good starts against us in years that he was really bad overall.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2019, 8:25 AM Post
It's fun looking at brewers stats against Homer Bailey and seeing so many over 1000 OPS. Braun, Cain, Thames, Yelich and Pina are all over 1000 OPS against him career. Pina might not start, but I suspect the other 4 will all start along with Grisham, Hiura, Moose, Saladino, and Grandal.

Cain
Yelich
Braun DH
Moose
Grandal
Hiura
Thames
Saladino/Arcia
Grisham LF

That's not what I would do, just what I'm expecting.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2019, 8:27 AM Post
Also a reminder to thank the Cardinals today for scheduling a night game today against the Cubs on a getaway day, while the Cubs have to play a 1:20 game against us tomorrow. Hopefully it goes to extras to add to the fun...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2019, 8:43 AM Post
Does Grisham actually not wear batting gloves? Nice, just like Babe Ruth. The game will be 10 minutes quicker without all the extra between pitch adjustments from him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2019, 8:50 AM Post
This would be a really nice one to get. I was hoping for a 2-1 split in the Cubs/Cards series and we're getting one. I guess I want the Cubs today and then hopefully we take 2/3 from them. Too early to really matter, but we win today and things tighten even more before the help arrives.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2019, 8:51 AM Post
topper09er said:
Does Grisham actually not wear batting gloves? Nice, just like Babe Ruth. The game will be 10 minutes quicker without all the extra between pitch adjustments from him.

That's a beautiful observation. Ban batting gloves. Players already use that little foam thing around their thumbs and can wrap their batting handle with different materials to alleviate the risk of blisters.

Braun would either have to retire or just pretend to go through the motions of re-applying the velcro a dozen times between pitches. Or else he'd have to remove three times as many pebbles on or around home plate in order to get a 30 second breather.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2019, 8:56 AM Post
Oxy said:
topper09er said:

That's a beautiful observation. Ban batting gloves. Players already use that little foam thing around their thumbs and can wrap their batting handle with different materials to alleviate the risk of blisters.

Braun would either have to retire or just pretend to go through the motions of re-applying the velcro a dozen times between pitches. Or else he'd have to remove three times as many pebbles on or around home plate in order to get a 30 second breather.

Cain is another one who does this with his batting gloves. It is quite the ritual... [tongue]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2019, 9:00 AM Post
It is just a way to refocus and flush the previous pitch. Some of it has gotten out of hand but that is really all it is.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2019, 9:26 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
It's fun looking at brewers stats against Homer Bailey and seeing so many over 1000 OPS. Braun, Cain, Thames, Yelich and Pina are all over 1000 OPS against him career. Pina might not start, but I suspect the other 4 will all start along with Grisham, Hiura, Moose, Saladino, and Grandal.

Cain
Yelich
Braun DH
Moose
Grandal
Hiura
Thames
Saladino/Arcia
Grisham LF

That's not what I would do, just what I'm expecting.

That looks like a pretty good lineup to me. I expect that if Grisham does decently well he could be seeing a lot of starts in the 9-hole with the pitcher batting 8th. Unless he's super hot and takes over the leadoff spot, it'd make sense to put Cain between him and Yelich to space out the lefties.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2019, 10:33 AM Post
Top of the order:
Grisham
Yelich
Hiura
Do it Craig!

But seriously, excited to kid got rewarded to be starting in the bigs today.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2019, 11:02 AM Post
I think Grisham is going to disappoint ya'll today. No HRs today. Just 5 IBBs.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2019, 11:26 AM Post
Global Moderator

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 01, 2019, 11:29 AM Post
I am here for Keston hitting 3rd and pushing Braun down to 5.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next  [ 352 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply