LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 217 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019-08-02: Brewers (Davies) at Cubs (Quintana) [Brewers lose, 6-2]

Offline  Re: 2019-08-02: Brewers (Davies) at Cubs (Quintana) 1:20 PM CDT
Posted: August 02, 2019, 2:45 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Go to your pen Joe, do it.

Yup, those were massive...massive AB's. Now the pen has to cover 2 innings...and whoever comes in is coming in to a dirty inning.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 2:45 PM Post
homer said:
treego14 said:
Bottomline, Santana has 20 plus homeruns and 70 plus RBI ... hitting in 270's, 280's all season ... borderline all-star candidate again this season.

You have a forgiving borderline.

Oh, yeah ... I forgot that Gamel with his .250 average and little pop is the same thing.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019-08-02: Brewers (Davies) at Cubs (Quintana) 1:20 PM CDT
Posted: August 02, 2019, 2:47 PM Post
500 team at best

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 2:47 PM Post
adambr2 said:
This year the trade deadline was pretty bad, the Nelson service time situation was bungled badly in early June, and around the same time, the decision to send Hiura back down despite his performance and bring Shaw back up was exactly when the season started to turn.

Very valid point!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 2:48 PM Post
treego14 said:
homer said:
treego14 said:
Bottomline, Santana has 20 plus homeruns and 70 plus RBI ... hitting in 270's, 280's all season ... borderline all-star candidate again this season.

Oh, yeah ... I forgot that Gamel with his .250 average and little pop is the same thing.

Yeah, completely disregard the prospect pitcher they also got, because it doesn't fit your narrative.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 2:48 PM Post
Stearns's biggest flaw this far as GM is not paying for pitching. This is why i have said, the Brewers need to change their philosophy. It's pretty obvious they aren't going to develop TOR arms other than once in a blue moon, and you can't keep signing bottom of the barrel guys for the rotation. They need to spend all the money possible in FA to at least bring in ONE stud to anchor the rotation and fill in with as many value bats as you can find, and hope it works. That's the ONLY way I can ever see them winning a World Series under Stearns.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 2:49 PM Post
Holy moly is Pina slow.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 2:49 PM Post
I think the mediocrity of this team is far beyond its fortunes turning on sending Hiura down when they shouldn't have.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 2:50 PM Post
Global Moderator
treego14 said:
homer said:
treego14 said:

You're moving the goalposts. Santana was not a borderline all star.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 2:50 PM Post
I can live with that AB by Pina. Run in, GIDP no longer in play for Arcia, and closing in on the top of the order...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 2:51 PM Post
Global Moderator
OldSchoolSnapper said:
I think the mediocrity of this team is far beyond its fortunes turning on sending Hiura down when they shouldn't have.

yeah I said at the time I wouldn't get excited unless they significantly upgraded the pitching.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 2:51 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Yeah, completely disregard the prospect pitcher they also got, because it doesn't fit your narrative.

Forget it, Jake. It’s Chinatown.

What is best in life? To crush the Cardinals, Cubs, and Manny Machado, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their fanboys.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 2:52 PM Post
Harvey'sWBs said:
Go there, look at those fielding numbers for either right field or left, and tell me how he’s supposed to be a serious outfielder for a contending club. Seattle isn’t contending, so they’re playing him in the outfield. He should DH all day every day for the rest of his career. There is no DH in the NL, and when the Brewers were playing him every day, it was when they didn’t expect to contend but unexpectedly did. And they missed the playoffs narrowly. Arguably, a better fielder out there may have made the difference. I will never regret the Santana deal, not for one moment.

He was a +6 DRS in the corners last year, so while he's been bad this year he's probably not that bad overall and while he was really good last year, he's probably not that good. The truth is somewhere in the middle and he's playable in the corners in that middle ground.

I'll say I didn't like the deal and still don't. Sold low on him and got a mediocre 4th outfielder and a pitcher whose absolute best case scenario is Zach Davies but probably not even that because Davies was posting a 2.5 WAR season in the majors at the age Zavolas is now.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 2:53 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:

At the time it seemed like a huge deal but looking at it now this is true.

Quote   Reply 
Well that was disappointing. Our pitching staff doesn't let a little wind stop them from giving up a couple dingers and 6 runs.

Quote   Reply 
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Prospect pitchers in a season following a so-close World Series appearance? Blah! I want guys that produce now! Go for it! We settled for a prospect and a backup ... we settled for a depleted bullpen when Knebel and Jeffress went down ... we settled for Shaw for 3 months ... we settled!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 2:54 PM Post
Brewcrewin07 said:
Stearns's biggest flaw this far as GM is not paying for pitching. This is why i have said, the Brewers need to change their philosophy. It's pretty obvious they aren't going to develop TOR arms other than once in a blue moon, and you can't keep signing bottom of the barrel guys for the rotation. They need to spend all the money possible in FA to at least bring in ONE stud to anchor the rotation and fill in with as many value bats as you can find, and hope it works. That's the ONLY way I can ever see them winning a World Series under Stearns.

This makes zero sense. He's been the GM for like three years made it to Game 7 of the NLCS. Giving a pass on his first season, they'll probably have a winning record all three years and missed the playoffs by a game in his second. The strategy you're suggesting is basically what they did in their two "go for it" years with Melvin and basically had the same success one season. That's not a very strong argument that his strategy isn't working. In fact, I would say that it is, because with this staff you'd think this team is far worse than it really is. But they had so many problems, the pen falling apart and some black holes on offense, that all of it together just became insurmountable.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 2:54 PM Post
treego14 said:

Braun is still here. He is playing and playing pretty well. Gamel is now the 4th OF which is something that Domingo didn't seem to handle well. When you put all the factors together including OF flexibility, defense, baserunning, and offense, this deal was a win for the Brewers.

The offensive production we have had out of our LF position is just about in line with the production of Santana and we don't have to put up with his lousy outfield defense.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 2:55 PM Post
Santana has his flaws, but his bat still plays. He's in his prime over the next few years. I wouldn't have traded him (or Aguilar) when they were at the low valley of their worth.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 2:55 PM Post
Bulldogboy said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:

At the time it seemed like a huge deal but looking at it now this is true.

I don't know how many games having Hiura down and Shaw up cost us in June, but if it's 2, this race looks much different and maybe our deadline moves are different.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 217 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply