LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 217 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019-08-02: Brewers (Davies) at Cubs (Quintana) [Brewers lose, 6-2]

Online  Re: 2019-08-02: Brewers (Davies) at Cubs (Quintana) 1:20 PM CDT
Posted: August 02, 2019, 2:56 PM Post
Drew Pomeranz was acquired to be our veteran clubhouse cheerleader, apparently.

Quote   Reply 
homer said:

You're moving the goalposts. Santana was not a borderline all star.

He had better stats than several guys in the all-star game ... you're locked in ... I give up! [laughing]

Quote   Reply 
adambr2 said:
Drew Pomeranz was acquired to be our veteran clubhouse cheerleader, apparently.

Kinda' like Pau Gasol on the Bucks?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 2:58 PM Post
rickh150 said:
Santana has his flaws, but his bat still plays. He's in his prime over the next few years. I wouldn't have traded him (or Aguilar) when they were at the low valley of their worth.

Both of them should have been moved at their peaks, you are right on this. But they still should have been moved.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-08-02: Brewers (Davies) at Cubs (Quintana) 1:20 PM CDT
Posted: August 02, 2019, 2:58 PM Post
Why exactly is Grisham here? He's going to have two days on the bench after tomorrow. Then what?? He going to play every day or is he just a bench bat who loses his rhythm?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 3:00 PM Post
Bulldogboy said:
Why exactly is Grisham here? He's going to have two days on the bench after tomorrow. Then what?? He going to play every day or is he just a bench bat who loses his rhythm?

Bingo!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 3:02 PM Post
Is Grisham benched for tomorrow already?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 3:03 PM Post
Find an injury for JJ or DFA him and send Jackson packing. Call up Faria and Black. Use Pomeranz as well. See what you have in all three of those arms. It just cannot be any worse. If it is, well we get to roast Stearns a bit more I guess and we try again next season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 3:04 PM Post
Wow. 6-2

What’s that thing called when you take bread and put it in a toaster?

Some people like to put jelly or butter on it?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 3:04 PM Post
Brew4U said:

He probably will be. At the time of callup, Chicago's SP were not announced yet. I personally did not think Hamels would be ready to make a starts, and the backup plan was probably Alec Mills who is RH. I also believe Darvish is Sunday...so he would have had 2 starts this weekend. There's a decent chance he starts tomorrow though...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 3:05 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Find an injury for JJ and send Jackson packing. Call up Faria and Black. Use Pomeranz as well. See what you have in all three of those arms. It just cannot be any worse. If it is, well we get to roast Stearns a bit more I guess and we try again next season.

I can't understand how the front office expects anyone to buy into the deadline moves being anything at all when 2 of the 3 guys couldn't even make the team over a recent DFA pitcher and the other one can't even get into a game.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 3:05 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
trwi7 said:
KeithStone53151 said:
Also, imagine a world where we didn't bring back Moustakas and were stuck with Shaw starting everyday at 3b? Or imagine we don't bring in Grandal, and Pina is mediocre/gets hurt and we are rolling with Nottingham everyday?

I can imagine it. It's called the year 2020.

I think 3b will be ok. Often guys have down years and then really buckle down the following offseason. So maybe Shaw gets it in gear for 2020. Catcher is a bit of a different story, but we'll have some $ available to sign someone. Fair point though...

I'm not sure we'll have as much as people seem to think. Attanasio stretched the payroll to $122.5 million this year and with how disappointing this team has been, I'm not sure he'll be willing to do that again. As it is we're going to have $50.75 million committed to our starting outfield and buyouts to Grandal and Moustakas. I'm assuming Anderson and Thames' options will be picked up, that adds another $16 million. Knebel and Shaw will get another $10 million. Jeffress might have played himself into getting his option declined so he will either sign at a discount or move on in which case we'll need a replacement. Davies, Guerra, Claudio, Gamel and Arcia will get raises.

Obviously trades can be made but with not a ton of money to spend and a farm system that doesn't have any suitable replacements, it's going to be tough.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 3:06 PM Post
Does CC have something against Pomeranz or what?? Did DS need to call him in the dugout and remind him that he's on the team and available. His lack of use of him these past two days is simply, baffling.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 3:06 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
Brew4U said:

He probably will be. At the time of callup, Chicago's SP were not announced yet. I personally did not think Hamels would be ready to make a starts, and the backup plan was probably Alec Mills who is RH. I also believe Darvish is Sunday...so he would have had 2 starts this weekend. There's a decent chance he starts tomorrow though...

I get that he could be but bringing him up solely to hit against RHP is also a mistake if that is the plan from the Brewers. If he's up, play him a bunch against everyone and let the kid get acclimated.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 3:07 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Brew4U said:
Find an injury for JJ and send Jackson packing. Call up Faria and Black. Use Pomeranz as well. See what you have in all three of those arms. It just cannot be any worse. If it is, well we get to roast Stearns a bit more I guess and we try again next season.

I can't understand how the front office expects anyone to buy into the deadline moves being anything at all when 2 of the 3 guys couldn't even make the team over a recent DFA pitcher and the other one can't even get into a game.

I wasn't a Dubon believer but it begs the question of whether or not we maxed his value out.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 3:11 PM Post
The Grisham situation is more fire for the what the heck is going on here take. I suppose Hammels coming back caught them off guard but what is the plan? If he isn't playing every day against everyone let him rake in San Antonio.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 3:13 PM Post
Oh my goodness, how is this game not 10-2? I feel like if Rizzo saw that pitch 10 times...he'd hit a HR 8 times.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 3:18 PM Post
What's the deal with Kintzler's glove? Anything?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 3:18 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
Oh my goodness, how is this game not 10-2? I feel like if Rizzo saw that pitch 10 times...he'd hit a HR 8 times.

Yeah, slider right down the middle. I don't know what his hot zones are but I would imagine that's a hot zone for 95% of MLB players.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 02, 2019, 3:20 PM Post
Doesn't appear that we have any interest in clawing back into this one against the Cubs' pen.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 217 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply