LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 167 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019-08-07: Brewers (Pomeranz) at Pirates (Williams) 6:05 PM CDT [Brewers win, 8-3 -- Offense stays hot; Bullpen Day proves a success as Crew completes sweep]

Online  Re: 2019-08-07: Brewers (Pomeranz) at Pirates (Williams) 6:05 PM CDT [Bullpen Day for Brewers]
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:12 PM Post
turborickey said:
folly412 said:
Really doesn't look like Cain should be running. Surprised they haven't had one of the pitchers run for him.

Will never know if that is an act, or is for real...

Well, I guess that's answered by going into the field.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-08-07: Brewers (Pomeranz) at Pirates (Williams) 6:05 PM CDT [Bullpen Day for Brewers]
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:14 PM Post
Nasty

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-08-07: Brewers (Pomeranz) at Pirates (Williams) 6:05 PM CDT [Bullpen Day for Brewers]
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
Is it possible Cain was limping around to fool the Pirates into thinking he couldn't run?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:16 PM Post
Williams change up looks sick.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:22 PM Post
Nice inning......stuff looks legit

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019-08-07: Brewers (Pomeranz) at Pirates (Williams) 6:05 PM CDT [Bullpen Day for Brewers]
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:23 PM Post
I wasn't impressed by Faria from first sight. I am impressed by Williams.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:24 PM Post
Pirates put a couple nice swings on Williams, but overall his stuff looks good. Like Bulldogboy said, that change-up is wicked, and I saw him hit 97 on a few of those fastballs. Command looked solid too. I kinda wonder why it took so long to not only promote him to AAA, but get him up here, considering the junk they've been tossing out there at the end of the pen.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:25 PM Post
Wait till Black is called up, and possibly Burnes, Hader can go back to the fireman role he’s great at, pitch a couple innings every 3 days. Think Stearns will have a totally shut down, lock down pen by September.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:26 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Pirates put a couple nice swings on Williams, but overall his stuff looks good. Like Bulldogboy said, that change-up is wicked, and I saw him hit 97 on a few of those fastballs. Command looked solid too. I kinda wonder why it took so long to not only promote him to AAA, but get him up here, considering the junk they've been tossing out there at the end of the pen.

I think they have a philosophy with progressing players and I’m good with that. You can’t stunt growth if you do it too fast (and not fast enough). I think they take the best interest of the player into consideration with a lot of these decisions.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:27 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Facts. It's only one inning but he looks like Jefress looked last year. Very impressive. Hope to see more of that.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:27 PM Post
Pirates defense is abysmal.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:28 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

I think they have a philosophy with progressing players and I’m good with that. You can’t stunt growth if you do it too fast (and not fast enough). I think they take the best interest of the player into consideration with a lot of these decisions.

You're right. It's just frustrating knowing they had an arm like this performing in the minors all year, while a good number of the pen arms at the ML level have struggled. Not to say Williams won't have his struggles as well, but the raw talent is definitely there.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:29 PM Post
The Pirates are bad at baseball.

Burch Smith hit a 3 run homer for San Antonio...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:30 PM Post
Global Moderator
Keep in mind, Williams missed all of 2017, and was pretty bad in 2018, and has always struggled with control. Even though he's got good looking stuff this is a guy who has yet to throw 400 innings in his minor league career.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:32 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Perplexing would be my word. He’s been dominating both AA and AAA all year, and his command has improved immensely over the last 7 weeks, to the point of hardly giving up base runners. Whatever, he’s up now and should stay up.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:33 PM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
Keep in mind, Williams missed all of 2017, and was pretty bad in 2018, and has always struggled with control. Even though he's got good looking stuff this is a guy who has yet to throw 400 innings in his minor league career.

I have to say ... between what Williams has done this season, and Grisham's success, it's really nice to see a few of these former high round picks paying off.

Perhaps things just clicked for Williams this year. So far so good.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:34 PM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:

Good point. I saw him in Appleton and his delivery is much quieter. He definitely is a work in progress. Progress made.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:35 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Perplexing would be my word. He’s been dominating both AA and AAA all year, and his command has improved immensely over the last 7 weeks, to the point of hardly giving up base runners. Whatever, he’s up now and should stay up.

Sounds like he progressed nicely and with the coaches at the proper level that got him ready for the call up this week. Great to hear from our organization considering that it wasn’t looking good for a bit.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:35 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
RoCoBrewfan said:

I have to say ... between what Williams has done this season, and Grisham's success, it's really nice to see a few of these former high round picks paying off.

Perhaps things just clicked for Williams this year. So far so good.

Patience. Development arch are not universally similar. This board is very quick to proclaim bust or superstar with these young players instead of just letting them develop at their own pace.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:36 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Both Roco and Brew4u did a terrific job refuting my point. It's easy to see both sides. You're right ... he's up now, and it appears he may be around for awhile.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 167 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply