LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 167 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019-08-07: Brewers (Pomeranz) at Pirates (Williams) 6:05 PM CDT [Brewers win, 8-3 -- Offense stays hot; Bullpen Day proves a success as Crew completes sweep]

Online  Re: 2019-08-07: Brewers (Pomeranz) at Pirates (Williams) 6:05 PM CDT [Bullpen Day for Brewers]
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:36 PM Post
Global Moderator
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
RoCoBrewfan said:
Keep in mind, Williams missed all of 2017, and was pretty bad in 2018, and has always struggled with control. Even though he's got good looking stuff this is a guy who has yet to throw 400 innings in his minor league career.

I have to say ... between what Williams has done this season, and Grisham's success, it's really nice to see a few of these former high round picks paying off.

Perhaps things just clicked for Williams this year. So far so good.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the last few months for both of these guys are trends and not just hot streaks. I don't have a problem with the Brewers trying something different at this point, but I also get that the Brewers promotional philosophy is pretty much slow and steady.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-08-07: Brewers (Pomeranz) at Pirates (Williams) 6:05 PM CDT [Bullpen Day for Brewers]
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:37 PM Post
82brewcrew82 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
RoCoBrewfan said:
Keep in mind, Williams missed all of 2017, and was pretty bad in 2018, and has always struggled with control. Even though he's got good looking stuff this is a guy who has yet to throw 400 innings in his minor league career.

I have to say ... between what Williams has done this season, and Grisham's success, it's really nice to see a few of these former high round picks paying off.

Patience. Development arch are not universally similar. This board is very quick to proclaim bust or superstar with these young players instead of just letting them develop at their own pace.

Well-said. It’s just great to see our system developing talent. If nothing else good comes from this season, I think it’s that. Especially after the Burnes disaster (and maybe Peralta). We need young building blocks.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-08-07: Brewers (Pomeranz) at Pirates (Williams) 6:05 PM CDT [Bullpen Day for Brewers]
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:39 PM Post
Brew4U said:
82brewcrew82 said:
Well-said. It’s just great to see our system developing talent. If nothing else good comes from this season, I think it’s that.

Exactly, which is why I don't pay much attention to the "our system is ranked last" stuff. If may be low on talent now but a lot of that has to do with the number of guys we are putting in the majors the last two or three years.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:39 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
RoCoBrewfan said:

Better than outside trade acquisition’s for obvious reasons, adds a big time jolt of excitement. Pomeranz Faria Grisham Williams, now lets get Freitas to hit LHP, and Black just to see 102 on the gun.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:41 PM Post
82brewcrew82 said:
Brew4U said:
82brewcrew82 said:
Well-said. It’s just great to see our system developing talent. If nothing else good comes from this season, I think it’s that.

Exactly, which is why I don't pay much attention to the "our system is ranked last" stuff. If may be low on talent now but a lot of that has to do with the number of guys we are putting in the majors the last two or three years.

Plus a lot of the "close to the majors" prospects they've dealt in order to improve the big club. If the Brewers can continue to graduate 2-3 talented guys to the ML level every season, that's pretty dang good.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:42 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Plus a lot of the "close to the majors" prospects they've dealt in order to improve the big club. If the Brewers can continue to graduate 2-3 talented guys to the ML level every season, that's pretty dang good.

And underrated. I couldn't agree more with you statement.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:43 PM Post
Moose having a rough couple games but Thames should dig that one

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:43 PM Post
Mouse has had a tough series defensively

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:44 PM Post
I think I put that one more on Thames. Not a great throw, obviously, but it still should have been an out.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:46 PM Post
40 pitches.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:46 PM Post
They really haven't made solid contact off Williams, impressive debut.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:47 PM Post
That was just a good piece of hitting. Tough pitch. Overall that was a good first impression by Williams. If Thames digs a ball he should have dug, that's two scoreless.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:48 PM Post
Williams should have been out of it. Hope they keep him around awhile. The more high end arms the better down the stretch. Now Jeffress on the other hand??

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:49 PM Post
Bulldogboy said:
40 pitches.

Even with the day off tomorrow, I think they almost have to bring someone up for Friday. Pomeranz, Guerra and Williams all threw over 40 pitches, so I imagine they are going to be down a couple days.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:50 PM Post
Does Grandal call the pitches?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 7:52 PM Post
Marte was sitting on that. It was the same exact pitch that was called for a strike the pitch before. Odd pitch sequence. And by odd, I mean bad.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 8:02 PM Post
So, what are the odds that JJ helps turn this into a save situation for Hader?

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019-08-07: Brewers (Pomeranz) at Pirates (Williams) 6:05 PM CDT [Bullpen Day for Brewers]
Posted: August 07, 2019, 8:18 PM Post
Global Moderator
Nice sweep! I like the stress free wins best.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 8:19 PM Post
They needed a sweep here and they are going to get it. Credit to the boys for getting off the mat in Chicago. Now let's sweep Texas and make it interesting.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 07, 2019, 8:20 PM Post
We always own the Bucs or they always own us. It always seems to be one or the other and you never know which it's going to be from season to season.

Anyway, much needed sweep.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 167 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply