LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 191 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019-08-27: Cardinals (Mikolas) at Brewers (Houser) [Brewers lose, 6-3]

Offline  Re: 2019-08-27: Cardinals (Mikolas) at Brewers (Houser) 6:40 PM CDT
Posted: August 27, 2019, 9:22 PM Post
Uecker is killing me. I shut off the TV, and thought the radio magic might work. Get up get up get up get outta here...caught at the wall...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 27, 2019, 9:22 PM Post
Sal Bando said:
-39 run differential.

This is not a playoff team.

It's -42 now.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 27, 2019, 9:23 PM Post
rondoman said:
Sal Bando said:
-39 run differential.

This is not a playoff team.

-42 now.

My mistake. I thought mlb.com had already updated.

Now I feel worse. [wink]

Quote   Reply 
OldSchoolSnapper said:
What's with this repetitive mantra about selling? We have nothing to sell unless it's Yelich. Expiring Moose that nobody wanted 2x in FA and a couple months of Grandal when every contender has a C? That we didn't "sell" is really not going to hold us back in the grand way people seem to think. The return would have been marginal at best.

People have a very poor understanding of probability. You have to take chances on seasons when you're in the race. You cannot give up and sell every time there are holes and you aren't a big time favorite. The more seasons you have in the race, the more seasons you have a chance to win things. Obviously if they had a very low postseason probability (like 7+ games back of 2nd wc at the deadline) go ahead and sell, but this season is certainly worth a shot and is not over with the 2nd wc.

Quote   Reply 
Oxy said:
Uecker is killing me. I shut off the TV, and thought the radio magic might work. Get up get up get up get outta here...caught at the wall...

He does this all the time these days.

Love Ueck but he is a terrible announcer now.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 27, 2019, 9:24 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
. But Nelson Suter and Peralta are coming.

This is exactly why I love message boards

So much more entertaining than the games

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 27, 2019, 9:25 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Most important series of the year and the offense is just completely hapless.

This offense has been MIA before this series began. [tongue]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 27, 2019, 9:26 PM Post
Oxy said:

I would've probably driven into a ditch when he said "caught at the wall". But seriously it was close, Perez was standing and watching at the plate, it was a leaping catch at the wall.

Quote   Reply 
OldSchoolSnapper said:
What's with this repetitive mantra about selling? We have nothing to sell unless it's Yelich. Expiring Moose that nobody wanted 2x in FA and a couple months of Grandal when every contender has a C? That we didn't "sell" is really not going to hold us back in the grand way people seem to think. The return would have been marginal at best.

Yelich Hader > 8-9 top 100 prospects

Moose Grandal Albers > 3 prospects all outside of the top 700 prospects

Quote   Reply 
If this team somehow turns it around it will be even better than last year...which was pretty miraculous in its own right. That over-achieving team skewed expectations for this year. Baseball is an agonizing sport.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 27, 2019, 9:29 PM Post
SomewhereInTime said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:

People have a very poor understanding of probability. You have to take chances on seasons when you're in the race. You cannot give up and sell every time there are holes and you aren't a big time favorite. The more seasons you have in the race, the more seasons you have a chance to win things. Obviously if they had a very low postseason probability (like 7+ games back of 2nd wc at the deadline) go ahead and sell, but this season is certainly worth a shot and is not over with the 2nd wc.

This year the brewers being in a race was lame. They were a bad team. This whole it’s baseball so we might win 20 in a row is just not a good strategy. There has to be some underlying reasons to be optimistic

This team sucked out loud. The signs were everywhere. If he could have got some good future pieces for trades it should have been done. But I. Of the opinion we really had nothing to give up. So you just gut it out this year and be crappy

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 27, 2019, 9:30 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:

Yelich Hader > 8-9 top 100 prospects

Moose Grandal Albers > 3 prospects all outside of the top 700 prospects

Ugh, please stop.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 27, 2019, 9:31 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:

He’s been sitting more than playing. He’s not seeing the ball, first real slump of the year, swinging threw balls that he normally hits.

He was starting pretty much every day until the last week, but when he went 1 for 16 and his average dropped to .231 he lost some playing time to Braun and Cain who were hitting better. They gave Gamel a start too. They did not sit him while he was hitting well. And he was never going to be an everyday starter as long as Yelich, Cain, and Braun were all able to play.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 27, 2019, 9:33 PM Post
willie key said:
SomewhereInTime said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:

This year the brewers being in a race was lame. They were a bad team. This whole it’s baseball so we might win 20 in a row is just not a good strategy. There has to be some underlying reasons to be optimistic

This team sucked out loud. The signs were everywhere. If he could have got some good future pieces for trades it should have been done. But I. Of the opinion we really had nothing to give up. So you just gut it out this year and be crappy

Case in point

Fans thinking they need to win 20 in a row when sitting a couple games back of a wild card.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 27, 2019, 9:33 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Bulldogboy said:
I would not be surprised if Counsell decides to go somewhere else next year if Stearns doesn't want to address the pitching this off season. We know Counsell isn't Stearns hire and although they seem to get along fine we don't know whose idea this past off season was. Counsell is so punch drunk from this bullpen he has to demand resources be spent. if Stearns says lets go cheap with young guys and doesn't get real help ask to be set free. The guy would have a job the next day.

I think Stearns has done ok. I never would have thought that Burnes and Peralta would flop so bad that they can't even make the MLB roster much less start. I would have thought someone like Jacob Barnes or Taylor Williams could step up in the pen. It just never happened.

Add to this Nelson still banged up, Knebel gone for the season, Woody out for weeks with an oblique, Suter still rehabbing, Jeffress took a big step back, Chacin got hurt so he was waived and Hader has been inconsistent as hell and you have this mess.

To make all of this worse is we can't score runs even when we get decent pitching. Yelich hasn't hit a HR in over a week, Cain can't buy a hit and nobody can even put the damn ball in play when we have runners on.

Last edited by Pugger on August 27, 2019, 9:43 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 27, 2019, 9:36 PM Post
mtsportsfan said:
I know we talk about needing better pitching, and we do ! But our offense is s o inconsistent. Mediocre pitching can shut us down. Home run or bust , quite frankly I'm tired of it. Give me some hitters that can actually move a guy over from second instead of striking out or popping out cause we are constantly swing for the fences.

GMTA

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 27, 2019, 9:38 PM Post
jason21nl said:
Rain adding insult. Embarrassing

Not the first rain delay at Miller Park. Not much they can do when a thundershower develops almost right over the park unless they want to play with the roof closed all the time.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 27, 2019, 9:38 PM Post
SomewhereInTime said:
The 2019 Brewers are not the 2018 Brewers. You have to play to your strengths, you cannot pull a starter at 5IP and 70ish pitches and bullpen for the final four innings. I will take my chances with Houser going through the lineup a third time over four innings of blowpen. Yes the offense needs to score more than one run, but this is baseball, 1-1 games in the late innings are common for everyone. This is one that really needed to be won and really needed to be managed better.

Why is CC so afraid of his starters going thru a line-up a 3rd time? If your pen is taxed what do you have to lose?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 27, 2019, 9:39 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Nelson and Peralta gonna save the day. Imagine if I told you in June we'd be within 4 games of the last wild card but those two were coming in to close the gap.

[sad]

Imagine hearing in April that Nelson, Peralta, and Shaw would all be in AAA on August 27. Two of them optioned and one on a re-started rehab assignment to keep him down longer. Two of them in the bullpen and one passed over being recalled in favor of Corey Spangenberg. Not to mention Burnes off in the secret Sports Science lab, but not the John Brenkus one. [embarassed]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 27, 2019, 9:40 PM Post
Oxy said:
If this team somehow turns it around it will be even better than last year...which was pretty miraculous in its own right. That over-achieving team skewed expectations for this year. Baseball is an agonizing sport.

This team has no business contending, but, I’m not giving up hope. 2017 played well in September, last year was even better. Suter Peralta Nelson woodruff Freitas are potential big time weapons, Grisham’s gonna get hot and so is Yelich, and maybe maryvale can fix Burnes and he can help the pen for the stretch run.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 191 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply