LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 89 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019-08-28: Cardinals (Flaherty) at Brewers (Lyles) [Brewers win, 4-1]

Offline  Re: 2019-08-28: Cardinals (Flaherty) at Brewers (Lyles) 1:10 PM CDT

Posted: August 28, 2019, 1:03 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
Baseball is funny. we'll lose the two games that seemed winnable and win the one we shouldn't.

Gotta love trying to argue that the 23 year old with a 3.3 ERA last year and 3.3 this year and only 9 runs given up in his last 10 starts isn't good, and will use a one game sample to try and prove it.

Go back and re-read my original post.

Thanks.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 1:05 PM Post
Brew4U said:
How would you feel to see an opening day starting rotation of:

1. Woodruff
2. Anderson
3. Houser
4. Lyles
5. Davies

I have a hard time believing that happens. I think one of Davies/Anderson is gone to make room for a better arm. I also think Burnes factors into the mix at some point. He's far too talented to be hit as hard as he has...he'll figure out a fix and go back to being a very good pitcher.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 1:12 PM Post
Hiura is an absolute butcher in the field, but man does he have a sweet swing.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 1:14 PM Post
Brew4U said:

1. Woodruff
2. Anderson
3. Houser
4. Lyles
5. Davies

If those guys stay healthy and avoid drastic negative regression, that's a playoff rotation in my mind. Of course, as we have seen this year, that is far from probable.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 1:16 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Hiura is an absolute butcher in the field, but man does he have a sweet swing.

Yea that's for sure. And he's still King at huge percent. With such a short compact swing it's surprising he's always struck out quite a bit. I'm sure there is some pitcher adjustments coming to against him, but imagine once he gets comfortable and the K percent drops from 30% down to just a normal high number like 20%.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 1:25 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Brew4U said:

1. Woodruff
2. Anderson
3. Houser
4. Lyles
5. Davies

If those guys stay healthy and avoid drastic negative regression, that's a playoff rotation in my mind. Of course, as we have seen this year, that is far from probable.

Lyles is certainly playing his way into a job next year. But man it still is tough to really bank on him in a big way or consider him core for a playoff team. Rewind a month when we got him and who would've thought anything like this. Not trying to rip him or anything, as we've seen first hand the last two years depth is needed and he seems to have something to offer in some way. Those 5 guys with Burnes, Peralta, Suter, Gio or maybe a couple others going in/out due to injury and performance should be a competent rotation. But we all thought the same this year too so...

Posted: August 28, 2019, 1:25 PM Post
I wonder if Jordan Lyles has achieved "Eating Crow Thread" status yet?

Posted: August 28, 2019, 1:31 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Brew4U said:

1. Woodruff
2. Anderson
3. Houser
4. Lyles
5. Davies

Lyles is certainly playing his way into a job next year. But man it still is tough to really bank on him in a big way or consider him core for a playoff team. Rewind a month when we got him and who would've thought anything like this. Not trying to rip him or anything, as we've seen first hand the last two years depth is needed and he seems to have something to offer in some way. Those 5 guys with Burnes, Peralta, Suter, Gio or maybe a couple others going in/out due to injury and performance should be a competent rotation. But we all thought the same this year too so...

Sign the guy to a 2-3 year contract after this game. His stuff and command is real. Get er done.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 1:33 PM Post
Brew4U said:

1. Woodruff
2. Anderson
3. Houser
4. Lyles
5. Davies

I'm beyond done with Davies at this point. He's been horrendous since the all star break and was horrendous last year. I suppose you could do worse for a #5 but I'd really like to see an upgrade someone in the middle of the rotation and slide davies out of it.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 1:34 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Is he statistically the best starting pitcher acquired at the deadline? If not, I'm sure he's got to be up there. I was just hoping for him to not continually blow up until Woodruff returned.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 1:35 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Brew4U said:

1. Woodruff
2. Anderson
3. Houser
4. Lyles
5. Davies

No way. This is still a number one away from being where we need to be. Kick Anderson to the curb and use that 8.5 million.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 1:36 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

From me he has.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 1:41 PM Post
Bulldogboy said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Brew4U said:

1. Woodruff
2. Anderson
3. Houser
4. Lyles
5. Davies

No way. This is still a number one away from being where we need to be. Kick Anderson to the curb and use that 8.5 million.

Na, save the 28-33 million a year for 5-7 years, to use in a myriad of ways to better strengthen the team. We have a #1 and he’s right under your nose.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 1:44 PM Post
Lyles is starting to get a bit shaky, I hope the bullpen is starting to loosen up a bit.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 1:45 PM Post
Global Moderator
Come on, Jordan Lyles has been in the big leagues for 9 years and he's been below average for literally all of those 9 years. He's having a nice run, and that it lines up for us is great. But suddenly everyone is supposed to eat crow and we're gonna offer the guy a 3 year deal? What?

I know, I know "check out that curveball" and stuff..... but it's super easy to get enamored by things the eye test tells you, but this is a NINE YEAR journeyman who's been really bad for most of those 9 years, and suddenly he's caught lightning in a bottle. I'm happy for the Brewers that he's held it together, but everything says this is smoke and mirrors. His peripherals this year are in line with his career numbers. Thirty two innings of a 2 1/2 era can be done with luck by just about anyone.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 1:50 PM Post
Don’t like this move. Trust Lyles 3rd time thru more than Guerra.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 1:51 PM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
Come on, Jordan Lyles has been in the big leagues for 9 years and he's been below average for literally all of those 9 years. He's having a nice run, and that it lines up for us is great. But suddenly everyone is supposed to eat crow and we're gonna offer the guy a 3 year deal? What?

I know, I know "check out that curveball" and stuff..... but it's super easy to get enamored by things the eye test tells you, but this is a NINE YEAR journeyman who's been really bad for most of those 9 years, and suddenly he's caught lightning in a bottle. I'm happy for the Brewers that he's held it together, but everything says this is smoke and mirrors. His peripherals this year are in line with his career numbers. Thirty two innings of a 2 1/2 era can be done with luck by just about anyone.

The eating of the crow i'd advocate is just for this year, and for those who ripped Stearns for acquiring him. I'd never suggest signing him to a 3-year deal. That's lunacy. He's looking at a Wade Miley deal best case for 2020.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 1:52 PM Post
Love this move, love Guerra.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 1:52 PM Post
Amazing, a pitching change worked and it is Molina being the one that kills a rally.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 1:53 PM Post
Brew4U said:

1. Woodruff
2. Anderson
3. Houser
4. Lyles
5. Davies

I would say Woodruff, Anderson, Houser, and Davies is fine...but he better find a good starter instead of Lyles.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 89 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply