LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 89 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019-08-28: Cardinals (Flaherty) at Brewers (Lyles) [Brewers win, 4-1]

Offline  Re: 2019-08-28: Cardinals (Flaherty) at Brewers (Lyles) 1:10 PM CDT

Posted: August 28, 2019, 2:36 PM Post
Brew4U said:
But why give multi-year deals to these guys? It doesn't make sense. You are paying two years for a guy that hasn't proven he can pitch one.

Because if we’re right we get 2 good years from Lyles instead of 1. If he has the kind of year his stuff/command warrants, he’d price himself out of our range the following year.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 2:39 PM Post
Global Moderator
Brew crew 92 said:
Brew4U said:
But why give multi-year deals to these guys? It doesn't make sense. You are paying two years for a guy that hasn't proven he can pitch one.

Because if we’re right we get 2 good years from Lyles instead of 1. If he has the kind of year his stuff/command warrants, he’d price himself out of our range the following year.

This is how teams like the Orioles and lolMets and Tigers land at the bottoms of their divisions for several years in a row. By being run like video game teams.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 2:44 PM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
Brew crew 92 said:
Brew4U said:

This is how teams like the Orioles and lolMets and Tigers land at the bottoms of their divisions for several years in a row. By being run like video game teams.

That was my point. And since he hated Chacin so much, I thought he would have connected the dots because that was pretty much the contract we had with him.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Posted: August 28, 2019, 2:47 PM Post
I bet PItt really wishes they gave him a 2-3 year guaranteed deal after his hot start to the year.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 2:47 PM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
Brew crew 92 said:
Brew4U said:

So the extra year and it’s now a video game run team. Or, maybe if one really believes in Lyles, then the smart move would be the 3 year deal. Do pitcher’s between the age of 28-31 still get 3 year deals for let’s say 18 million? If he’d take that I’d go 3 in a heartbeat.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 2:49 PM Post
Wow, just wow. All I can say to this.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 2:51 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
So the extra year and it’s now a video game run team. Or, maybe if one really believes in Lyles, then the smart move would be the 3 year deal. Do pitcher’s between the age of 28-31 still get 3 year deals for let’s say 18 million? If he’d take that I’d go 3 in a heartbeat.

Yes, because you've randomly tossed out extra years and money to just about anything with an arm or a "good eye" at the plate. All of that adds up at the end of the day. I implore you to look back through all of your posts and see how many ideas you have just flung out there to build a team and see if you can actually make sense of it. I would bet that if you did, and realized all of the things you have posted, you may understand why people question you so frequently around here.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Posted: August 28, 2019, 2:51 PM Post
Hiura getting hot again! Great double down the line for a Badger Mutual Insurance run.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 2:59 PM Post
I guess Josh just remembered he throws a second pitch. Only took him a couple months to do so.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 3:00 PM Post
3/18 for Lyles is nuts, so no thanks on that. I'm glad he's having success for us, though.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 3:00 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Brew crew 92 said:

Yes, because you've randomly tossed out extra years and money to just about anything with an arm or a "good eye" at the plate. All of that adds up at the end of the day. I implore you to look back through all of your posts and see how many ideas you have just flung out there to build a team and see if you can actually make sense of it. I would bet that if you did, and realized all of the things you have posted, you may understand why people question you so frequently around here.

I’ll admit a few bad takes and predictions, beyond the 3-4 TOR prediction. But I’ve been dead on numerous takes too. But getting back to this Lyles take, Lyles at 18 for 3 is a less risky deal than Chacin for 2 at 16. Lyles is younger and has way better stuff.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 3:01 PM Post
We salvage a game in the series!!!!!

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 3:02 PM Post
Glad we got one.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 3:02 PM Post
Series salvaged. The Salvage Yard re-opens on Sunday.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 3:04 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
Brew4U said:
Brew crew 92 said:

I’ll admit a few bad takes and predictions, beyond the 3-4 TOR prediction. But I’ve been dead on numerous takes too. But getting back to this Lyles take, Lyles at 18 for 3 is a less risky deal than Chacin for 2 at 16. Lyles is younger and has way better stuff.

Which numerous takes have you been dead on?

You know what kind of 3 year deal makes perfect sense for Lyles? Something like what we gave to Jeffress, perhaps with a little more money.

Something like 1 year/3M, with a 2nd team option year for 5M, with a 3rd year team option year for 7M.

That kind of deal I could see Lyles getting. 3/18, no chance.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 3:07 PM Post
2 pitch Hader better then 1 pitch Hader.......still missing his spots in bad locations too often with the fastball but he got away with them......maybe because they had to think about the slider.....

Good win......LoOks like what Stearns and CC said about Lyles when they acquired him has been accurate......they still liked his stuff and thought with some different sequencing he could be effective.

Can't always just look at a bad stretch and assume a guy sucks.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 3:09 PM Post
At some point, I think you do need to try to figure out if Lyles has put it together.

Much, I think depends on the AAV.

The right deal (say, three years, $13.5 million or two years, $10 million) could be large enough to give him that sense of security to stick around, but small enough that regression wouldn't be a killer. At the very least, Lyles is a swing arm, and a good one at that.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 3:11 PM Post
Sweep the Cubs and we're looking strong again. Extensions for everyone.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 3:17 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Brew crew 92 said:

I’ll be proven right on Grisham. I actually find it mind boggling that people that supposedly know baseball, are having a hard time seeing him as a future star. Forget the stats he had in AA and AAA this year, just watch him hit.

Just like all this talk about the “journeyman” Freitas. All this talk from people that have never seen him take a swing. Watch him play some games, watch him swing the bat first, you know, before leading the Freitas will save the world jokes.

Posted: August 28, 2019, 3:24 PM Post
clancyphile said:
At some point, I think you do need to try to figure out if Lyles has put it together.

Much, I think depends on the AAV.

The right deal (say, three years, $13.5 million or two years, $10 million) could be large enough to give him that sense of security to stick around, but small enough that regression wouldn't be a killer. At the very least, Lyles is a swing arm, and a good one at that.

Now we’re talkin, not sure he goes for that if he continues the DOMINATION he’s exhibiting.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 89 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply