LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 63 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019-09-24 Other MLB Games with Playoff Implications - Phillies @ Nats Doubleheader

Offline  2019-09-24 Other MLB Games with Playoff Implications - Phillies @ Nats Doubleheader

Posted: September 24, 2019, 8:12 AM Post
Global Moderator
Phillies @ Nationals 12:05PM
Phillies @ Nationals 6:05PM
Cubs @ Pirates 6:05PM
Cardinals @ D-Backs 8:40PM

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019-09-23 Other MLB Games with Playoff Implications - Phillies @ Nats Doubleheader

Posted: September 24, 2019, 9:18 AM Post
I'm cheering for the Phillies, Cubs and DBacks.

Cubs you say? Why? Well, I want the Cubs to still have something to play for this upcoming weekend when they go to Busch. I hate the Cardinals, and I don't want to give them the satisfaction of being able to rest up for the playoffs.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-09-23 Other MLB Games with Playoff Implications - Phillies @ Nats Doubleheader

Posted: September 24, 2019, 9:29 AM Post
Global Moderator
If the Cubs have a chance to play any kind of spoiler they will have something to play for.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-09-23 Other MLB Games with Playoff Implications - Phillies @ Nats Doubleheader

Posted: September 24, 2019, 9:35 AM Post
Hopefully the Phillies can win the first game, fear that they will just punt the second game if they are officially eliminated after Game 1.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2019, 10:34 AM Post
Cubs are going to care regardless because of how embarrassing they have been and the fact the Cardinals pretty much ruined their postseason hopes. They probably don't want their season to end even more embarrassing. Spoiler or not they want to win games to go into next year on some type of positive.

I also doubt the Phillies will be anymore distraught if they lose the first game than before. Is it really that sad when your less than 0.00% chance at the postseason turns over to 0%...probably not.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2019, 10:39 AM Post
Yep, officially eliminated and face Scherzer, automatic loss.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2019, 10:43 AM Post
With all the recent Cub choking they may play better after they are eliminated and the pressure is off. They will want revenge on the Cards. I want us to clinch over them and am rooting for that until it happens. Hopefully the Pirates can muster 1 respectable game

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2019, 11:02 AM Post
Byron Kerr
@masnKerr
·
1h
Davey reiterated today that all 4 of his top starters will pitch in WC game if necessary to secure win: Max, Stras, Corbin, Sanchez

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2019, 11:24 AM Post
markedman5 said:
Byron Kerr
@masnKerr
·
1h
Davey reiterated today that all 4 of his top starters will pitch in WC game if necessary to secure win: Max, Stras, Corbin, Sanchez

Oh man, this would be fun to beat. And I'm being serious. I would love all four of them to pitch against the Crew and lose. What a moment that will be.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2019, 11:34 AM Post
It makes the most sense and it's what I was fearing. Daniel Hudson and Doolittle are the only guys who i'd even consider throwing in a 1 game playoff.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2019, 11:56 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
If any one of them is struggling you pull the plug and go with the next. Counsell will be doing the same with his weapons, expect Suter/Hader to cover at least half of the game.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2019, 1:01 PM Post
I think Martinez is playing coy.

I have a hard time seeing him pulling Scherzer, even if he gives up, say, two runs in the second inning. Obviously, if it looks like he just doesn't have it, he'll come out, but he's going to have the leash an elite pitcher gets in an elimination game. I don't see Martinez pulling him to go with Stras, for example, who, good as he is, just isn't on the same level (FIP nearly a full run higher).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2019, 2:15 PM Post
So the Phillies are officially eliminated. I know they dealt with a couple of major season ending injuries to Mccutchen and Robertson, but damn that has to be a disappointing season for that team. Teetering around .500 and eliminated with 6 games to play.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2019, 2:39 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Bryce Harper eliminated by the Nats in Nats Park. Ouch.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019-09-23 Other MLB Games with Playoff Implications - Phillies @ Nats Doubleheader

Posted: September 24, 2019, 2:47 PM Post
long ball said:
So the Phillies are officially eliminated. I know they dealt with a couple of major season ending injuries to Mccutchen and Robertson, but damn that has to be a disappointing season for that team. Teetering around .500 and eliminated with 6 games to play.

For sure. All we heard last offseason was how they had all this "stupid money" to play with. I feel like this is karma.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2019, 4:10 PM Post
https://twitter.com/OldTakesExposed/sta ... 45538?s=20

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2019, 4:14 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
long ball said:

For sure. All we heard last offseason was how they had all this "stupid money" to play with. I feel like this is karma.

Most of the supposed 'improved' teams from offseason spending sprees missed the playoffs--and those contracts are only going to get worse with time.

ESPN's expert consensus correctly predicted only 2 of the 6 division champions--despite the fact that only 2-3 of the 12 playoff teams will be different than 2018.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2019, 5:35 PM Post
Baby steps for Pittsburgh. They didnt give up any runs in the first or second to the cubs.

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2019, 6:24 PM Post
No hits for the Pirates.... they are truly awful

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2019, 6:30 PM Post
Well the Phillies are up 4-1 in game two but the bases are loaded with no outs in the bottom of the 4th.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 63 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply