LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 84 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 MLB Playoffs Preview and Discussion

Online  2019 MLB Playoffs Preview and Discussion

Posted: September 29, 2019, 6:05 PM Post
Global Moderator
Use this thread over the next 36 hours to discuss the upcoming MLB playoffs including the Brewers scheduled Wild Card game versus the Nationals on Tuesday, October 1st at 7:08 p.m. CT (televised on TBS).

A proper IGT will be posted early Tuesday morning for the NL Wild Card game.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 MLB Playoffs Preview and Discussion

Posted: September 29, 2019, 6:08 PM Post
Global Moderator
Here are the Brewers career batter versus hitter results against Max Scherzer:

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 MLB Playoffs Preview and Discussion

Posted: September 29, 2019, 6:11 PM Post
Not that there was any doubt but Woody is starting
https://twitter.com/adammccalvy/status/ ... 28577?s=21

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 29, 2019, 6:12 PM Post
Braun, Yaz and Cain 1-42.....woof

They are due!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 29, 2019, 6:31 PM Post
Take Yelich out of that list and the stats are pretty depressing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 29, 2019, 6:41 PM Post
Yikes, those splits.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 29, 2019, 6:50 PM Post
Global Moderator
Not quite as eye popping, but the Nationals haven’t been great against Brandon Woodruff either:

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 29, 2019, 6:51 PM Post
BruisedCrew said:
Take Yelich out of that list and the stats are pretty depressing.

They're depressing with him.

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 29, 2019, 7:19 PM Post
Got to think we will see Woody for 3 or 4 at the most. Suter for 2 or 3, then Pomeranz and Hader to finish up. If we go deeper then that my guess is we will be in extras.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 29, 2019, 7:44 PM Post

GIF Master
"Tuffy Gosewisch" is on that list just to prove we all read it, right?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 29, 2019, 7:44 PM Post
Global Moderator
The current version of the Wild Card game was first implemented in 2012, below are some random facts regarding past participants.

In the National League the visiting team has won 5 of the 7 WC games.

In the American League the home team has won 4 of the 7 WC games.

The most successful Wild Card teams since the inception of the current format are the 2014 Giants (won World Series) and 2014 Royals (lost World Series).

The following Wild Card winners advanced into (but lost) the League Championship Series: 2012 Cardinals, 2015 Cubs, 2016 Blue Jays, 2017 Yankees

Only 2 of the 14 Wild Card games have been decided by a deficit of less than 3 runs, and both of those were extra innings games (there have been 3 total games that went into extra innings).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 29, 2019, 8:27 PM Post
I'd obviously rather have had a five-game series than a one-game series (away, at that). But on the bright side, I think we match up better against the Dodgers in a five-gamer than in a seven-gamer. And then if the Cards are the draw in that seven-gamer, I like our odds. Although it may be bad for my blood pressure.

And then of course it will be an honor to lose to Wade Miley's team. [wink]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 29, 2019, 9:06 PM Post
Honestly the Brewers are a terrible fit for being in a WC situation. They rely heavily on the bullpen and their premium guys pitching well. If they make it past the WC game they likely don’t have Hader/Pomeranz/Woodruff/Suter for the first two games of the NLDS. For that reason I don’t think they match up well with the Dodgers. They will be hugely disadvantaged after bullpening their way to a WC win against a team exponentially better than them. They really needed to start the NLDS fresh to have a good chance for postseason success in my opinion (and on paper).

Maybe they could pitch Game 2 (for anyone going multiple innings), but that’s pressing your luck and their effectiveness could be quite questionable.

It’s baseball, it is random...but this team simply is not set up for a run deep into the postseason. Real bummed after they choked in the Rockies series. Hopefully they can end on a high note and not find themselves done after Tuesday. Not saying they will lose Tuesday or can’t make a run (any team can), but it would be quite a miracle.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 29, 2019, 9:27 PM Post
I wonder if Nelson put himself on the radar for a spot. Some other relievers haven't been as strong as late, and he could be a nice 2-3 inning weapon if recent outings are a sign

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 29, 2019, 9:45 PM Post
On paper this is a blood bath.
Hopefully they have one more magic trick left.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 29, 2019, 9:59 PM Post
yourout said:

The brewers have a pretty darn good lineup if they can get healthy. Not including yelich, it's a pretty strong group. And we have enough quality pitchers we can throw out to match up with the nats. Let's also remember their bullpen isn't super strong. Unless they go a bit overboard and piggyback strasburg and scherzer... we have a chance if we can keep runs off the board and get to the bullpen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 29, 2019, 10:00 PM Post
Those numbers are a bit demoralizing, but let's note scherzer hasn't seen hiura or grisham. Safe to assume both will be starting tuesday.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 29, 2019, 10:37 PM Post

GIF Master
KeithStone53151 said:
yourout said:

The brewers have a pretty darn good lineup if they can get healthy. Not including yelich, it's a pretty strong group. And we have enough quality pitchers we can throw out to match up with the nats. Let's also remember their bullpen isn't super strong. Unless they go a bit overboard and piggyback strasburg and scherzer... we have a chance if we can keep runs off the board and get to the bullpen.

The Nationals will totally throw Strasburg and whoever else they need if Scherzer doesn't go deep. In fact, they might use Strasburg even if Scherzer does go deep. They will absolutely use as many of their best pitchers as necessary. We won't see their crap bullpen unless it's out of hand.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 29, 2019, 11:13 PM Post
I think we will see Strasburg come in to relieve Scherzer once his pitch count gets high or from ineffectiveness. I don’t see the Nationals messing around with their bullpen at all during a single elimination game. The Nationals are going to use their best arms to try to advance.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 29, 2019, 11:48 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Honestly the Brewers are a terrible fit for being in a WC situation. They rely heavily on the bullpen and their premium guys pitching well. If they make it past the WC game they likely don’t have Hader/Pomeranz/Woodruff/Suter for the first two games of the NLDS. For that reason I don’t think they match up well with the Dodgers. They will be hugely disadvantaged after bullpening their way to a WC win against a team exponentially better than them. They really needed to start the NLDS fresh to have a good chance for postseason success in my opinion (and on paper).

Maybe they could pitch Game 2 (for anyone going multiple innings), but that’s pressing your luck and their effectiveness could be quite questionable.

It’s baseball, it is random...but this team simply is not set up for a run deep into the postseason. Real bummed after they choked in the Rockies series. Hopefully they can end on a high note and not find themselves done after Tuesday. Not saying they will lose Tuesday or can’t make a run (any team can), but it would be quite a miracle.

You realize we get off days between the WC game and DS right?

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 84 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply