Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 84 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 MLB Playoffs Preview and Discussion

Online  Re: 2019 MLB Playoffs Preview and Discussion

Posted: September 30, 2019, 12:10 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
SomewhereInTime said:
MrTPlush said:
Honestly the Brewers are a terrible fit for being in a WC situation. They rely heavily on the bullpen and their premium guys pitching well. If they make it past the WC game they likely don’t have Hader/Pomeranz/Woodruff/Suter for the first two games of the NLDS. For that reason I don’t think they match up well with the Dodgers. They will be hugely disadvantaged after bullpening their way to a WC win against a team exponentially better than them. They really needed to start the NLDS fresh to have a good chance for postseason success in my opinion (and on paper).

Maybe they could pitch Game 2 (for anyone going multiple innings), but that’s pressing your luck and their effectiveness could be quite questionable.

It’s baseball, it is random...but this team simply is not set up for a run deep into the postseason. Real bummed after they choked in the Rockies series. Hopefully they can end on a high note and not find themselves done after Tuesday. Not saying they will lose Tuesday or can’t make a run (any team can), but it would be quite a miracle.

You realize we get off days between the WC game and DS right?

So many off days. The October schedule is perfect for the Brewers' bullpen approach. No game Wednesday or Saturday if they make it to the NLDS. They can bullpen their way through the majority of postseason games. Last year in that NLDS sweep the starters only covered 12 2/3 innings out of 28 and then they had several days off before the NLCS.

More reason for optimism--Scherzer is far from untouchable in October. He is 0-4 in the postseason since 2013 (last 7 appearances) with a 4.28 ERA.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 MLB Playoffs Preview and Discussion

Posted: September 30, 2019, 5:37 AM Post
Anyone think the Cards have a prayer against Atlanta?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 5:41 AM Post
Zad Fnark said:
Anyone think the Cards have a prayer against Atlanta?

I think the Braves have a clear advantage but the playoffs are a complete crapshoot. Bad teams get hot and go all the way pretty often.

Also for the other comment above, bullpen heavy teams are a perfect fit for the wild card, the structure of the teams gives the Brewers a huge advantage in this game. However, the fact everyone is hurt makes it pretty unlikely we are going to go on a run. Hard to go on a run when most of your top guys are all trying to play hurt or out.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 6:04 AM Post
SomewhereInTime said:
MrTPlush said:
Honestly the Brewers are a terrible fit for being in a WC situation. They rely heavily on the bullpen and their premium guys pitching well. If they make it past the WC game they likely don’t have Hader/Pomeranz/Woodruff/Suter for the first two games of the NLDS. For that reason I don’t think they match up well with the Dodgers. They will be hugely disadvantaged after bullpening their way to a WC win against a team exponentially better than them. They really needed to start the NLDS fresh to have a good chance for postseason success in my opinion (and on paper).

Maybe they could pitch Game 2 (for anyone going multiple innings), but that’s pressing your luck and their effectiveness could be quite questionable.

It’s baseball, it is random...but this team simply is not set up for a run deep into the postseason. Real bummed after they choked in the Rockies series. Hopefully they can end on a high note and not find themselves done after Tuesday. Not saying they will lose Tuesday or can’t make a run (any team can), but it would be quite a miracle.

You realize we get off days between the WC game and DS right?

Well, one day.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 6:22 AM Post
I'm really surprised by how many doubters there are already. This is playoff baseball! Absolutely anything can happen. While I expect a hard-fought, low-scoring game tomorrow, nothing would surprise me. This Brewers team truly is a Wild Card, in that it's true identity is a complete mystery.

I expect we'll see three innings from Woodruff tomorrow, followed by either Suter or Peralta (maybe both). Then probably Pomeranz and Hader. Those are pitchers I'd put up against any team. Watching the matchups in tomorrow's game is going to be a lot of fun. If the Brewers can manage to scratch out a few runs, I like their chances.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 7:21 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
I'm really surprised by how many doubters there are already. This is playoff baseball! Absolutely anything can happen. While I expect a hard-fought, low-scoring game tomorrow, nothing would surprise me. This Brewers team truly is a Wild Card, in that it's true identity is a complete mystery.

Why would you be surprised? There have been so many times people declared this team dead. Not sure why people can't just enjoy the ride.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 7:33 AM Post
jjfanec said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Why would you be surprised? There have been so many times people declared this team dead. Not sure why people can't just enjoy the ride.

Yeah, the "I think they are bad, and will lose big, but will be happy to be wrong" predictions are just annoying.

I agree with you. This team has been put on the mat so many times, and has managed to get to its feet every time. Nothing they do would really surprise me anymore.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 7:38 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Yeah, the "I think they are bad, and will lose big, but will be happy to be wrong" predictions are just annoying.

Seconded. I really don't understand this philosophy. Is this what the cool kids are doing or something?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 8:08 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Seconded. I really don't understand this philosophy. Is this what the cool kids are doing or something?

Built in depression protection. If they lose "This is what I expected", if they win "OH MY GOSH HOW AMAZING!".

It's a defense.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 8:18 AM Post
liveforoctober said:
KeithStone53151 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Built in depression protection. If they lose "This is what I expected", if they win "OH MY GOSH HOW AMAZING!".

It's a defense.

I call it the Ted Thompson syndrome. After years of conditioning you expect the worst and hope for the best.
I have it as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 8:41 AM Post
liveforoctober said:
KeithStone53151 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

It's a defense.

Not really. I don't know what I would be defending against. It's pretty unreasonable to actually expect them to win Tuesday. They could because it is one game, but I have no expectation of them winning. They were .500 all year, had an anomaly month and then got swept by an awful team at the very end. I do call BS on the Nationals being "exponentially better." They're not. The best player on our mildly above average team is the best player in the league and we don't have him.

My hunch is just that our fumes are running low and an elite talent like Scherzer will shut us down. But Woodruff is also good enough that he's capable of a 7IP shutout and a HR. Nobody actually knows but I would never bet on the Brewers tomorrow.

The only dumb reason I have optimism is that Nationals are due for a loss and we just got swept.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 8:47 AM Post
I'm happy they are still playing. After losing Christian I had my doubts. Getting swept in Colorado was embarrassing but before that series the team pulled together and here we are. CC has his moments but I believe he should be manager of the year. He really deserves it with all the things he had to deal with this year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 8:49 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

My brain says "no" but my heart says "maybe?".

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 8:56 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:

Not really. I don't know what I would be defending against. It's pretty unreasonable to actually expect them to win Tuesday. They could because it is one game, but I have no expectation of them winning. They were .500 all year, had an anomaly month and then got swept by an awful team at the very end. I do call BS on the Nationals being "exponentially better." They're not. The best player on our mildly above average team is the best player in the league and we don't have him.

My hunch is just that our fumes are running low and an elite talent like Scherzer will shut us down. But Woodruff is also good enough that he's capable of a 7IP shutout and a HR. Nobody actually knows but I would never bet on the Brewers tomorrow.

The only dumb reason I have optimism is that Nationals are due for a loss and we just got swept.

I expect them to win tomorrow because, this last weird series withstanding, the Brewers are the hottest team in the majors. And you're right, Scherzer is an elite talent. But he's also 35, and has been slapped around pretty good all month. Could he bear down and dominate the Brewers tomorrow? Sure. But I also think it's just as likely he gives up 4 runs in 4 2/3 innings. The Brewers are a dangerous team in this postseason because no one really expects anything out of them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 9:01 AM Post
Max will be yanked as soon as there are two guys on base though. They have more blue chip arms who are far less likely to fart and they can keep throwing them out there. Anything is possible but I think if the Brewers win it's going to be because Woodruff and the pen did their job. 2-1, 3-2, 1-0, etc. Doubt the Brewers score 9 runs tomorrow as that would mean they lit up multiple TOR arms.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 9:31 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
I'm really surprised by how many doubters there are already.

For me, it comes down to what lineup we can put out there. We are already on our B-lineup without Yelich. If we have to go to our our C-lineup, it might be a long day for us.

Grisham- RF
Grandal- C
Moose- 3B
Hiura- 2B
Braun- LF
Thames- 1B
Cain- CF
Arcia- SS

If we can get this out there against him, I'll say we have a punchers chance at it.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 MLB Playoffs Preview and Discussion

Posted: September 30, 2019, 9:45 AM Post
Global Moderator
ZIPS has it as 57% Washington / 43% Milwaukee, BRef has it 61/39 & 538 has it 64/36, for whatever that is or isn't worth.

The Nats proved over 162, by both wins & run differential, that they are the better team, they aren't missing their best player, they are playing at home, they should be favored.

Last year we won the most games in the NL, there were plenty of doubters, but we still managed to get within a game of the World Series.

This year we won the fewest games in the NL postseason field, there are still plenty of doubters, maybe even more, but baseball is weird, life is weird. A 36-43ish % chance is actually kinda good when compared to numerous other odds the team has already overcome throughout the season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 9:47 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
But Woodruff is also good enough that he's capable of a 7IP shutout and a HR.

Nope, not on Tuesday. There is no chance, 0% that he is allowed to pitch 7 innings, not to mention, he doesn't have the stamina built up even if they wanted him to go 7.

If we get a solid 3 innings we will be doing great!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 9:56 AM Post
Inning by inning and out by out.

That's how these games are run, and I see no reason why our pitchers can't put up one scoreless frame at a time.

We won't and shouldn't be favored, but bullpen-ing is a powerful strategy for a reason, and we've basically been doing it for two years. If there's some advantage, it's that we'll hopefully be more ready to throw 1, 2, 3 innings at a time than anyone on the Nats staff, especially Strasburg.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 10:00 AM Post
turborickey said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:
But Woodruff is also good enough that he's capable of a 7IP shutout and a HR.

Nope, not on Tuesday. There is no chance, 0% that he is allowed to pitch 7 innings, not to mention, he doesn't have the stamina built up even if they wanted him to go 7.

If we get a solid 3 innings we will be doing great!

I would say 6 3 pitch inning might get him there.

Does anyone besides the diehardiest of diehard twins fans think they will win 1 game vs the yankees.

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 84 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply