LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 84 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 MLB Playoffs Preview and Discussion

Offline  Re: 2019 MLB Playoffs Preview and Discussion

Posted: September 30, 2019, 1:39 PM Post
I have a friend who's a Twins fan. Been a running joke for years on getting eliminated by NYY. Then of course Houston takes the 1 spot this year setting it up yet again. Talking to him though, after he made jokes about how local media is adamant the team will not be intimidated by NY this time he then pretty much nails it that if you had to pick Houston on NY of course you'd rather play NY with how loaded Houston's pitching is. Still, it's just funny how they always end up with the Yanks.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 2:21 PM Post
The Twins have an overall active 13 game playoff losing streak, and an active playoff losing streak of 10 games to the Yankees alone! Their last playoff win was game 1 of the 2004 ALDS.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 2:46 PM Post
topper09er said:
The Twins have an overall active 13 game playoff losing streak, and an active playoff losing streak of 10 games to the Yankees alone! Their last playoff win was game 1 of the 2004 ALDS.

For all the crap we get for being so bad the Nationals have been to the postseason 4/7 years before 2019. All of those years they won 95+ and won their division. They have not won the NLDS once...ONCE. 3/4 were Game 5 losses.

They have won 7 postseason games since 2012 (when their success started). We won 6 games last year alone. If we backed it up a year we have won 11. Mind you they had a similar run of pathetic baseball much like us (1982 to 2012).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 3:57 PM Post
It's really crazy the Nats and LAD haven't won it all with amount of top top level starting pitching over the last 8ish years. At least LA has had multiple deep runs though. Still, it's crazy you can build teams that well with that huge advantage for multiple years and not win it all. Maybe it's one of their years but Houston is just ridiculous right now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 4:11 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
tmwiese55 said:
I have a friend who's a Twins fan. Been a running joke for years on getting eliminated by NYY. Then of course Houston takes the 1 spot this year setting it up yet again. Talking to him though, after he made jokes about how local media is adamant the team will not be intimidated by NY this time he then pretty much nails it that if you had to pick Houston on NY of course you'd rather play NY with how loaded Houston's pitching is. Still, it's just funny how they always end up with the Yanks.

The Twins have basically designed a team meant to beat NYY at Yankee Stadium. If they are ever going to do it this is the year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 4:11 PM Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/ ... 2989479937

Braun is good to go tomorrow! Great news on Braun. Cain will be a game time decision, but Scott Braun asked Cain how he was feeling when he was walking off the field and Cain responded with “good enough”. Looks like Cain will be a go as well!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 4:14 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
It's really crazy the Nats and LAD haven't won it all with amount of top top level starting pitching over the last 8ish years. At least LA has had multiple deep runs though. Still, it's crazy you can build teams that well with that huge advantage for multiple years and not win it all. Maybe it's one of their years but Houston is just ridiculous right now.

I think a lot of it comes down to the ace on those pitching staffs. If they pitch like aces, almost impossible to beat as those guys pitch 2 games in each series. They can hand you two losses by themselves essentially. On the flip side when they pitch bad, that is crippling.

You look at why the Dodgers haven’t won, Kershaw. He has been a 6.50+ ERA 0-2 pitcher in three huge postseason series in his career and overall really just not that great. He is the main guy and the team often sinks with him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 4:17 PM Post
If the Brewers win Tuesday, Game 1 will be at 8:37 pm Thursday and Game 2 will be 8:47 pm Friday.

https://twitter.com/mlb_pr/status/11787 ... 93377?s=21

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 4:26 PM Post
I've been reading through both the Brewers beat writers and Nationals beat writers just now. There seems to be a wildly different feel in each clubhouse. The Brewers generally seem more loose and to be having more fun. Nationals generally seem a lot more tense, seem to be feeling a lot more pressure, all the talk is around Scherzer. I admittedly didn't spend a ton of time on it, I think I like the atmosphere in the Brewers clubhouse moreso than the Nats if that is true.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 4:27 PM Post
Suzuki is catching, means Grisham and Hiura shoudl be looking to run. Maybe Cain if he's feeling up to it. Also maybe Braun/Thames if he looks particularly slow tomorrow.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 5:10 PM Post
Going to be at the game tomorrow with a few friends. I am really looking forward to this game I feel if they can get a few runs early it will be huge for them as I believe the Nats bullpen is definitely a weak spot. It will also take the crowd out of the game. I’m predicting Brewers win 4-3.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 5:15 PM Post
bucks2281 said:
If the Brewers win Tuesday, Game 1 will be at 8:37 pm Thursday and Game 2 will be 8:47 pm Friday.

https://twitter.com/mlb_pr/status/11787 ... 93377?s=21

Those are Eastern times, right?
Edit: As I see it, Thursday is 7:37 Central and Friday is 8:47.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 5:17 PM Post
To me, the most interesting thing will be if Lyles is coming in to pitch after Woodruff. I wouldn't expect Woodruff to go more than 3 innings.

In a 1 game, 9 inning elimination game I only want Woodruff, Lyles, Pomeranz, Hader, and Suter. I'd feel ok about Peralta and Guerra in certain situations as well.

Probably need either Davies or Anderson on the roster just to protect yourself in case of a long extra inning game. I'd lean Davies even though he'd be on short rest if they need him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 7:15 PM Post
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/m ... 816469002/

This is kind of what I was afraid of. Unlikely we see anyone besides Scherzer, Strasburg or Corbin tomorrow if the game is close.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 7:18 PM Post
I feel a bit better using guys in roles they are used to vs. tossing starters out there mid game. The later is much more unpredictable and guys have struggled in such a role in the past.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 7:26 PM Post
RollieTime said:
https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/status/1178764462989479937

Braun is good to go tomorrow! Great news on Braun. Cain will be a game time decision, but Scott Braun asked Cain how he was feeling when he was walking off the field and Cain responded with “good enough”. Looks like Cain will be a go as well!

Great! Both are needed. Damn the 0-14 and 0-15 against Scherzer - Braun starts a playoff game every time, and in any defensive game Cain may just win the game in the field.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 7:31 PM Post
I don’t mind our chances tomorrow. Scherzer isn’t unhittable. Corbin and Stras normally don’t relieve. I think Woodruff gives us 3 innings of no run-ball. Suter follows for 2IP. Hat gets us to Pomeranz and Hader

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 7:32 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
I feel a bit better using guys in roles they are used to vs. tossing starters out there mid game. The later is much more unpredictable and guys have struggled in such a role in the past.

Do we just tell ourselves this before a game like this to make ourselves feel better or is there real statistical evidence to back it up? I really don't know, honestly curious. Feels like we used almost everyone on our pitching staff in an unfamiliar role last September/October and they did just fine.

FWIW, Strasburg has never pitched out of the pen and Corbin has been very successful in limited career innings out of the pen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 7:41 PM Post
Braun is playing so Brewers by 4.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2019, 7:43 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
There's no way Braun doesn't hit a HR tomorrow. I'm calling it now.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 84 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply