LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 67  Next  [ 1334 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019-10-01 (NL Wild Card Game): Brewers (Woodruff) at Nationals (Scherzer) 7:08 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 4-3 -- Nationals score 3 runs in 8th inning; Heartbreaking end to 2019]

Offline  Re: 2019-10-01 (NL Wild Card Game): Brewers (Woodruff) at Nationals (Scherzer) 7:08 PM CDT [Broadcast on TBS]

Posted: October 01, 2019, 10:28 AM Post
Critical they win the 1st game of this series.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-10-01 (NL Wild Card Game): Brewers (Woodruff) at Nationals (Scherzer) 7:08 PM CDT [Broadcast on TBS]

Posted: October 01, 2019, 10:40 AM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
Critical they win the 1st game of this series.

Yeah, they really can’t afford to go down 0-1 here. That would truly be an insurmountable deficit in the series.

What is best in life? To crush the Cardinals and Cubs, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their fanboys.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 01, 2019, 10:50 AM Post
Their first true must-win game of the season.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019-10-01 (NL Wild Card Game): Brewers (Woodruff) at Nationals (Scherzer) 7:08 PM CDT [Broadcast on TBS]

Posted: October 01, 2019, 11:16 AM Post
Good thing my feelings count for nothing because I have a bad feeling about this one. They really achieved more than I could have ever hoped for in September and I wrote this season off at many different times, but I think at some point the injuries and weaknesses of the team become too much. I don't think they are really built for a game like this against a team that very much is. Of course, it's one game, so they always have a shot, but I am not expecting much tonight. My guy feeling is a 9-1 whipping or something.

If they do win I'll probably pick them as the upset special to take out LAD. I really hope I can get to at least one more game at Miller Park this year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 01, 2019, 11:20 AM Post
Is it time to go home yet? Nope? Darn.

17 seconds later....

Is it time to go home yet? Nope? Darn.

Less than 7 hours.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019-10-01 (NL Wild Card Game): Brewers (Woodruff) at Nationals (Scherzer) 7:08 PM CDT

Posted: October 01, 2019, 11:24 AM Post
StearnsFTW said:
wallus said:
Must. Win.

Just Win..

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019-10-01 (NL Wild Card Game): Brewers (Woodruff) at Nationals (Scherzer) 7:08 PM CDT [Broadcast on TBS]

Posted: October 01, 2019, 11:25 AM Post
Global Moderator
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Good thing my feelings count for nothing because I have a bad feeling about this one. They really achieved more than I could have ever hoped for in September and I wrote this season off at many different times, but I think at some point the injuries and weaknesses of the team become too much. I don't think they are really built for a game like this against a team that very much is. Of course, it's one game, so they always have a shot, but I am not expecting much tonight. My guy feeling is a 9-1 whipping or something.

If they do win I'll probably pick them as the upset special to take out LAD. I really hope I can get to at least one more game at Miller Park this year.

How are the Nationals any more built for this game than we are?

We have been bullpenning to great success both this September & last September & last postseason, it is nothing new to our team, just another game.

The Nats bullpen is so horrendous they are probably going to throw two starters in unfamiliar roles to try & compensate, pretty out of the ordinary for them.

Not to mention their "ace", hasn't been very ace-y of late.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 01, 2019, 11:31 AM Post
sveumrules said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:

We have been bullpenning to great success both this September & last September & last postseason, it is nothing new to our team, just another game.

The Nats bullpen is so horrendous they are probably going to throw two starters in unfamiliar roles to try & compensate, pretty out of the ordinary for them.

One way I choose to optimistically look at the Nats pitching situation...they are pretty much going to live and die by how Scherzer looks tonight. If Woodruff isn't sharp, quick hook and in comes someone else...probably before big run totals get posted. If Scherzer allows 2 or 3 runs in the first couple innings, there's just no way they pull him. While Scherzer is certainly capable of flipping the switch at any moment and being a superstar, I like that he's been struggling lately. Provides a bit more hope. So if Scherzer isn't sharp tonight, it will probably be 4-5 runs before that Nats do anything. By then it would probably be too late.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 01, 2019, 11:37 AM Post
sveumrules said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:

Corbin, Scherzer and Strasburg. They have three star pitchers that can all go any length of time as long as they look good, which they are more likely to do than our guys. I don't think saying they are better suited than us for a one-game playoff, on paper, is even a remotely controversial thing to say.

Their bullpen sucks, and they most likely don't need to use it at all tonight.

The Brewers aren't the favorite in this game for a reason.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 01, 2019, 11:38 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
sveumrules said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:

One way I choose to optimistically look at the Nats pitching situation...they are pretty much going to live and die by how Scherzer looks tonight. If Woodruff isn't sharp, quick hook and in comes someone else...probably before big run totals get posted. If Scherzer allows 2 or 3 runs in the first couple innings, there's just no way they pull him. While Scherzer is certainly capable of flipping the switch at any moment and being a superstar, I like that he's been struggling lately. Provides a bit more hope. So if Scherzer isn't sharp tonight, it will probably be 4-5 runs before that Nats do anything. By then it would probably be too late.

What? If he looks awful he will most definitely get pulled. It's not like they need him to 6. They are trying to win one game just like us.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 01, 2019, 11:41 AM Post
Woodruff with a good game with some timely hitting and they move on. A lot of baseball people didn't give the Brewers a chance to get this far but here we are. Cubbies watch on tv with no manager. Go Brewers!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 01, 2019, 11:44 AM Post
Global Moderator
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Corbin, Scherzer and Strasburg. They have three star pitchers that can all go any length of time as long as they look good, which they are more likely to do than our guys. I don't think saying they are better suited than us for a one-game playoff, on paper, is even a remotely controversial thing to say.

Their bullpen sucks, and they most likely don't need to use it at all tonight.

The Brewers aren't the favorite in this game for a reason.

The Nationals are the favorite because they won more games during the 162 game regular season, that does not mean they are built better for a one game playoff.

Pitchers likely to throw tonight & their ERA-/FIP- since August 1st...

Scherzer 106/83
Strasburg 76/87
Corbin 73/92
Hudson 32/78

Woodruff 0/10
Suter 11/54
Pomeranz 54/60
Lyles 57/102
Hader 77/82

The Nationals have a definite advantage, but I believe it is overstated because people are more familiar with the names of their pitchers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 01, 2019, 11:48 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
KeithStone53151 said:

What? If he looks awful he will most definitely get pulled. It's not like they need him to 6. They are trying to win one game just like us.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like it would be very difficult for a manager to pull someone like Max Scherzer in the 3rd inning if he's in a 2 on 2 out situation and already allowed a couple runs. It of course is probably smart, but I'm just not sure they'd make that move. I could of course be wrong, but I feel like that would be a reeeeeeeeally tough move to explain later. Especially if whatever reliever he picked allowed the next guy to hit a HR or something(I assume Strasburg wouldn't come in in the middle of an inning...probably use a matchup reliever to get the out and let Stras start the 4th).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 01, 2019, 11:48 AM Post
I expect the Brewers to win. I'll be heartbroken if they don't.

3-2 Brewers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 01, 2019, 11:49 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:

Wow, I'm glad your feelings don't count as well. Not a lot of hope to be found there.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 01, 2019, 11:51 AM Post
Salvage game, let's get this one!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 01, 2019, 11:53 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:
KeithStone53151 said:

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like it would be very difficult for a manager to pull someone like Max Scherzer in the 3rd inning if he's in a 2 on 2 out situation and already allowed a couple runs. It of course is probably smart, but I'm just not sure they'd make that move. I could of course be wrong, but I feel like that would be a reeeeeeeeally tough move to explain later. Especially if whatever reliever he picked allowed the next guy to hit a HR or something(I assume Strasburg wouldn't come in in the middle of an inning...probably use a matchup reliever to get the out and let Stras start the 4th).

Another thing to consider is that it will likely take Strasburg or Corbin longer to get warmed up than your typical reliever, so if the Brewers do start to ambush Scherzer, it'll be a little bit before he can be pulled. Don't forget that Corbin threw 94 pitches on Saturday while getting slapped around by the Indians. Throwing your huge starting pitching signing out there on 3 days rest may not be the best idea. I think he's there "in case of emergency" guy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 01, 2019, 11:53 AM Post
Everything points towards Washington winning this. It'll be all that much sweeter when the Crew pulls the upset. Everything was in the favor of the Brewers for game 7 last year with a 1 run lead at home and it didn't work.

It seems the Nationals are all but guaranteed to win, but you know what they say about guarantees:

"..........how do you know the Guarantee Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, but we're not buying it. Next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 01, 2019, 11:54 AM Post
I had a dream last night that the game was tied 0-0 going into the 4th. I walked away for a minute and when I came back the Crew was down 9-0. I really hope that wasnt a sign of whats to come tonight!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 01, 2019, 12:10 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Looking at the rosters it is amazing the Brewers are even in this game. The Brewers only advantage on paper is bullpen which probably won’t matter because the Nats will not use theirs.

But the Brewers have a fascinating roster with a game plan that gives them far better odds than the numbers would suggest. This is a fun game to watch for informed baseball fans who appreciate the unique strategy elements of single-elimination baseball with rest days on either side.

I think the key for the Brewers is to get on base and steal some bases, make the Nats’ pitchers face as many high stress ABs as possible. And on the road against a loud crowd you obviously want to get the lead early if possible.

I think with the warm/humid weather we will see lots of scoring tonight. I’m going to predict a 9-5 Brewers win. And I think Ryan Braun hits a home run to get the Brewers a lead.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 67  Next  [ 1334 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply