LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 95 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 MLB Postseason: World Series [Nationals win series, 4-3]

Offline  Re: 2019 MLB Postseason: World Series

Posted: October 24, 2019, 6:17 AM Post
The Nats look like a team of destiny, wow. Against the Brewers they had Zimmermans weak single...then Soto has his ball take that hop past Grisham. Last night again they had 2 weak hits in that big inning. 3 if you include Kendricks ball to Bregman. Most impressive though...they kept putting it in play.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 24, 2019, 6:46 AM Post
Global Moderator
It certainly is a nice reminder that you just have to get in to the postseason to have a chance.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 24, 2019, 7:38 AM Post
I really thought Martinez and that bullpen would sink the Nats. Something else I was just totally wrong about. Still time for them to lose, of course, and the Astros are good enough all around to come back from 0-2, but beating Corbin will be a tall task.

I'm sure, if the Nats hold on, the narrative will be about "traditional" starting pitching, but I think that will be an oversimplification. The Nats were simply smart enough to play in a way that suited their roster, and their deployment of their starters in the WC game and NLDS was anything but "traditional."

Stearns and the gang may be in Billy Beane territory as far as postseason BP usage is concerned. I think they've changed the game, but they won't get much credit for it because they didn't win the WS and cement the narrative (though hopefully the WS part of that changes in the next couple years...a fan can hope).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 24, 2019, 7:58 AM Post
Cool Hand Lucroy said:
I really thought Martinez and that bullpen would sink the Nats. Something else I was just totally wrong about. Still time for them to lose, of course, and the Astros are good enough all around to come back from 0-2, but beating Corbin will be a tall task.

I'm sure, if the Nats hold on, the narrative will be about "traditional" starting pitching, but I think that will be an oversimplification. The Nats were simply smart enough to play in a way that suited their roster, and their deployment of their starters in the WC game and NLDS was anything but "traditional."

Stearns and the gang may be in Billy Beane territory as far as postseason BP usage is concerned. I think they've changed the game, but they won't get much credit for it because they didn't win the WS and cement the narrative (though hopefully the WS part of that changes in the next couple years...a fan can hope).

The dirty little secret is that if you have $100 million in a given year to spend on your rotation alone, you have a slight leg up on the bullpenning teams. The Brewers need to cobble together 5-6 pitchers in a given night and worry about rest, matchups, etc. while these other teams can pitch an ace into the 6th or 7th (or later) and just have to worry about having 2 guys waiting behind just in case.

Kudos to the Nats who are playing it smart...I never really understood the, "lol Nats bullpen" stuff because as we've seen - you only need to go 3 deep in close games.

So, yes, good starting pitching should be coveted. There are about 20 guys on the planet that are this good and all of them in the free market will get $150+ million and $25+ million/year.

If you're down to the Jhoulys Chacin or Zach Davies level of player...you bullpen the 2nd half (or more) of the game because it's the smart thing to do. You don't try to squeeze 115 pitches out of him because you want him to be a bulldog and try to pitch through the 7th or whatever "because Justin Verlander does."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 24, 2019, 11:55 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
I strongly agree with Cool Hand Lucroy's analysis. The Nats and Astros are certainly not winning because of their TOR starters...if anything they are winning despite their shortcomings. All of them besides Strasburg have looked vulnerable. It seems like the hitting approach is the commonality between the two teams...particularly an ability to get on base and keep pressure on the opposing pitchers.

Take a guess which teams were #1 and #2 in MLB in the regular season in OBP?

The other aspect is the randomness of the postseason. The Nats were lucky to get through both the wild card and the NLDS.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 24, 2019, 12:16 PM Post
The Nats have had a lights out rotation for the better part of 5 years or more and accomplished not much of anything. The only reason they're still in the playoffs is due to a somewhat flukey, unfortunate series of events against Hader. Not to mention they barely made it past the Dodgers. They're the poster child for Starting Pitching isn't everything.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 24, 2019, 1:25 PM Post
Don't think it's any secret. I think the Brewers are well aware they would be better off with three ace SP. The bullpenning stuff is just the only way they can realistically compete.

The best way to win a game is still with a traditional ace starter. But there is no sense trying to punch like Mike Tyson when you are three weight classes below.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 25, 2019, 1:06 PM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Board Administrator
I have a Nats fan pal on Twitter who I think I just persuaded to send me a fruit basket if they go all the way. [laughing]

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 25, 2019, 7:30 PM Post
How many years are left on Greinke's contract?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 25, 2019, 7:32 PM Post
Houston’s biggest pitch of the season is thrown 68 MPH by Greinke.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 25, 2019, 9:54 PM Post
Global Moderator
markedman5 said:
How many years are left on Greinke's contract?

Two years, sixty four million buckaroos.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2019, 5:40 AM Post
Global Moderator
The longest game in the 1982 World Series was played in 3:04. So far, the three games in this series have gone 3:43, 4:01 and 4:03. I loathe this pace. I grew up with games lasting 2 hours, maybe 2:30. Those days aren't coming back. But if they don't do something to speed things up, my fandom may be reduced to just watching highlight shows and reading box scores.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2019, 8:20 AM Post
Global Moderator
JimH5 said:
The longest game in the 1982 World Series was played in 3:04. So far, the three games in this series have gone 3:43, 4:01 and 4:03. I loathe this pace. I grew up with games lasting 2 hours, maybe 2:30. Those days aren't coming back. But if they don't do something to speed things up, my fandom may be reduced to just watching highlight shows and reading box scores.

Average MLB pace for pitchers in 2019 was 24.9 seconds.

Instituting a 20 second pitch clock like they have in the minors would cut about 24-25 minutes off of every game. Just. Like. That.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2019, 8:43 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
The good news is that there are a maximum of 4 MLB games remaining that will not have a pitch clock.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2019, 8:55 PM Post
The Nationals sure look like they're gonna try to blow a 2-0 lead in the World Series...

Not that I mind too much... they beat the Dodgers and Cardinals, and their usefulness to me this season has ended... now I want them to feel the heartbreak of falling short in the postseason.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2019, 9:10 PM Post
My bet is whoever wins the next game wins the series.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2019, 8:18 PM Post
If the Brewers grabbed a 2-0 series lead in the WS and blew it...I think I would have to take sick leave for two weeks and see a therapist.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2019, 8:48 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
If the Brewers grabbed a 2-0 series lead in the WS and blew it...I think I would have to take sick leave for two weeks and see a therapist.

Especially taking a 2-0 lead on the road and losing the next 3 at home.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2019, 9:18 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
trwi7 said:
MrTPlush said:

Especially taking a 2-0 lead on the road and losing the next 3 at home.

And not being remotely competitive in any of the 3 games. A true disaster.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2019, 10:22 PM Post
I’m still amazed the Pirates traded Garrett Cole and then six months later traded for Chris Archer.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 95 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply