LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next  [ 490 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020-09-14, Game 2: Cardinals (Ponce de Leon) at Brewers (Burnes) [Brewers lose, 3-2 in 9 innings]

Offline  Re: 2020-09-14, Game 2: Cardinals (Ponce de Leon) at Brewers (Burnes) 7:30 PM CDT
Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:17 PM Post
brewers888 said:
That needs to be Petersons last Brewers at bat

I know Stearns and Counsell have a strange affection for left-handed hitters, but there is absolutely no reason for Peterson to be with the big club while Mark Mathias is in Appleton.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020-09-14, Game 2: Cardinals (Ponce de Leon) at Brewers (Burnes) 7:30 PM CDT
Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:18 PM Post
Urias just seems to be powerless. He has good plate discipline and seems to play defense well for the most part but I just see no pop in that bat.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:18 PM Post
It's fitting that Peterson strikes out to end it. He sucks and so does this team. Counsell is not managing. He's along for the ride. Sad.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:19 PM Post
Bulldogboy said:
The unwillingness to bunt there with a light hitting player is enough to let you know that this team isn't doing what it takes to win. The odds of this team getting a hit there was just about zero.

Absolutely. You can't manage this team like it's a slugging team anymore, we need to bunt in obvious situations like this, need to steal bases. The three run homer is not coming with this lineup.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:20 PM Post
Last three innings, Brewers had 7ks and double play and one base hit. Pathetic

Last edited by Jopal78! on September 14, 2020, 10:21 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:20 PM Post
Its going to be a really interesting off season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:21 PM Post
brewers888 said:
mtrebs said:
Why do I keep watching this garbage???

Because we are technically in a playoff race even though we know this team is not good at all

In the race with Yelich and Hiura doing their finest Chris Davis impressions no less. If you told me before the season started that both those guys would be toeing the Mendoza line and be in the top 10 in MLB in Ks, I would have told you this team would be in the running for the top pick in the 2021 draft.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:23 PM Post
Global Moderator
brewers888 said:
Urias just seems to be powerless. He has good plate discipline and seems to play defense well for the most part but I just see no pop in that bat.

He hit 19 home runs in less than 300 at bats at Triple-A last year. Yes, that was in hitters parks with a Mickey Mouse baseball, but you still don’t do that if you have no pop. His exit velocities have been solid enough to believe he’ll be able to drive the ball at some point. He’s also just turned 23 and is coming off a broken hamate bone which historically saps power in the short-term. I’m not worrying about it right now.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:23 PM Post
brewers888 said:

He doesn't necessarily need to be a 20 HR bat to have a important place in the lineup, but that is predicated on other hitters providing the power. That has been iffy this summer.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:24 PM Post
Harvey'sWBs said:
It’s fine, I didn’t want an asterisk World Series anyway. Let’s take some lessons from this year and come back fresh next year.

Like quitting while we are in a playoff race... good lesson. Take your ball and go home philosophy?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:24 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
brewers888 said:
mtrebs said:
Why do I keep watching this garbage???

Because we are technically in a playoff race even though we know this team is not good at all

In the race with Yelich and Hiura doing their finest Chris Davis impressions no less. If you told me before the season started that both those guys would be toeing the Mendoza line and be in the top 10 in MLB in Ks, I would have told you this team would be in the running for the top pick in the 2021 draft.

Hiura had a ton of swing and miss in his game last year. So it’s not surprising he hasn’t figured out how to consistently beat the adjustments the league made for him. Yelich on the other hand, who knows but he looks lost

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020-09-14, Game 2: Cardinals (Ponce de Leon) at Brewers (Burnes) [Brewers lose, 3-2 in 9 innings]
Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:25 PM Post
Counsell needs to be asked tough questions but won't be. It has the feel of a guy who is pissed at his boss and is just going to sit back and let the office fall apart and say well I told you. Somethings up. Don't be shocked if this offseason turns into a finger pointing situation.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020-09-14, Game 2: Cardinals (Ponce de Leon) at Brewers (Burnes) [Brewers lose, 3-2 in 9 innings]
Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:26 PM Post
With Urias, had their not been legitimate questions about his bat he wouldn’t have been available in a trade to begin with

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:28 PM Post
Pretty disappointing game.... way worse than the no hitter.
Pitching to Deyoung in that situation was about the dumbest thing I've seen all year.....
Treating the second game of a double header with no urgency whatsoever... pitching the absolute worst pitchers when others, even a starter or two COULD have thrown an inning in extras.
Huge series with playoff implications.... wow....treated like a spring training game. We were absolutely fine losing that game.

Last edited by rickh150 on September 14, 2020, 10:32 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:31 PM Post
Eye Black said:
brewers888 said:

He hit 19 home runs in less than 300 at bats at Triple-A last year. Yes, that was in hitters parks with a Mickey Mouse baseball, but you still don’t do that if you have no pop. His exit velocities have been solid enough to believe he’ll be able to drive the ball at some point. He’s also just turned 23 and is coming off a broken hamate bone which historically saps power in the short-term. I’m not worrying about it right now.

Didn't Sogard hit 16 HRs last season. I hope you are right about Urias but I just don't see many extra base hits in that bat. If he hits 10-15 HRs with a bunch of doubles that would be great but it would be surprising.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:31 PM Post
rickh150 said:
Harvey'sWBs said:
It’s fine, I didn’t want an asterisk World Series anyway. Let’s take some lessons from this year and come back fresh next year.

Like quitting while we are in a playoff race... good lesson. Take your ball and go home philosophy?

Just sarcasm, for which I suppose I should have used the sarcasm filter. However, your comment does suggest the question that if these hitters did actually quit, how would it look any different from the current output?

What is best in life? To crush the Cardinals and Cubs, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their fanboys.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:33 PM Post
I've never really seen a Brewers team struggle so much to hit pitches out over the plate. Not even good pitches, we consistently see swings and misses on center cut fastballs and hanging breaking balls, what used to be called mistake pitches. It doesn't seem to be as much of a chasing problem as most are drawing walks, they just can't hit.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:34 PM Post
Harvey'sWBs said:
rickh150 said:
Harvey'sWBs said:

Just sarcasm, for which I suppose I should have used the sarcasm filter. However, your comment does suggest the question that if these hitters did actually quit, how would it look any different from the current output?

Seemed like you were dead serious about all of it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:35 PM Post
SomewhereInTime said:
I've never really seen a Brewers team struggle so much to hit pitches out over the plate. Not even good pitches, we consistently see swings and misses on center cut fastballs and hanging breaking balls, what used to be called mistake pitches. It doesn't seem to be as much of a chasing problem as most are drawing walks, they just can't hit.

September of 2014 was similar....

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:38 PM Post
Global Moderator
brewers888 said:
Didn't Sogard hit 16 HRs last season. I hope you are right about Urias but I just don't see many extra base hits in that bat. If he hits 10-15 HRs with a bunch of doubles that would be great but it would be surprising.

No, he hit 13. Sogard’s average exit velocity this year is 84.6 mph which is in the bottom 4% of baseball. Urias’ average exit velocity is 88.7 mph which is the 50th percentile across baseball. That is also something he’ll likely continue to improve upon as he gets older and is further removed from the hamate bone injury.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next  [ 490 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply