LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 176 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020-09-21: Brewers (Woodruff) at Reds (Castillo) [Brewers lose, 6-3]

Offline  Re: 2020-09-21: Brewers (Woodruff) at Reds (Castillo) 5:40 PM CDT
Posted: September 21, 2020, 7:35 PM Post
trwi7 said:
I mean, it's the pitcher's job to get them out too. There's a reason strikeouts have been up every year since 2005 and records have been set every year since 2006. The harder they throw, the less time hitters have to react. When you have to make a decision on whether to swing a split second quicker, you're a lot more likely to swing at pitches that aren't strikes or just miss pitches that are just because of the pure stuff of pitchers now.

I feel like the strikeouts skyrocketing has a lot more to do with "launch angle" than pitchers getting that much better over the last 15 years. The graph of strikeouts per game and runs per game over the last 50 years don't really correspond with each other at all. Runs per game 15 years ago is about the same as now but strikeouts are up about 20% over that same time.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2020, 7:35 PM Post
Global Moderator
That straight pitch right down the middle to Hiura is one he absolutely has to be able to crush. I hope he comes back following the offseason making more contact on those pitches.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2020, 7:37 PM Post
I am still upset by the Arcia ab. I just can't believe that after all this time there was zero anticipation that he would not get a hit that he would even put the ball in play. Zero. I just can't understand how you can show no development and still be a big league regular. Oh well the fact is this week will probably end like it should and crew will fall about a game short.

Quote   Reply 
The Brewers quest to get above .500 for the first time this year is foiled yet again.

Quote   Reply 
Yep, Hiura was getting the "don't walk anyone up 5" treatment and still couldn't make contact.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2020, 7:38 PM Post
Ballboy was the play of the game!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2020, 7:38 PM Post
Global Moderator
owbc said:
mtsportsfan said:
No kidding , can't imagine trying to hit that heat. But still, professional hitting is just lacking . Not just our team but everybody. Whatever happened to choking up and protect the plate , moving guys over. It's either strikeout or homerun lately.
With almost every pitcher hitting 95-99 , you would think these guys would try different ways of making contact other than swinging for the fences.

It doesn't really seem to help. The pitches have so much movement that you will still swing and miss a ton..and when you do make contact the defense is more likely to make a play. The exit velocity vs. hit probability relationship is so strong that under most situations you have to hit the ball hard. And when you do hit the ball hard, it jacks up your OPS which is the only number anyone is really looking at.

It's interesting to watch Vogelbach hit because he has a very compact swing and is pretty good at making contact. But even he ended up on the scrap heap after a relatively short period of struggling.

Maybe in the long run we'll see more contact hitters work their way up through the minors, but I suspect MLB will make hitter-friendly rule changes before that happens.

One reason I’m irrationally excited for Hedbert Perez (yes, just 17 years old) is he has a very compact, powerful swing. If he develops like you’d project a kid with MLB lineage then I think he could be a very special hitter.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2020, 7:39 PM Post
owbc said:
yourout said:
I wish they would move the rubber back a foot.

Either that or lower the mound. I also think robot umps are going to really help hitters.

Maybe to some extent as zones are usually bigger than smaller. However, there is an unreal amount of breaking balls not called strikes that clip the zone. Especially if the pitcher has a big looping breaking pitch or if it is at the top of the zone. That’s going to be a mighty wake up call for hitters if it ever happens. Not to mention many strikes are called balls too, it isn’t a one way street always benefitting the pitcher.

I like to lean it will help hitters more, but I wonder if it might end up not making much of a difference in the grand scheme.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2020, 7:39 PM Post
Jace Peterson is our player of the game. Wow.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2020, 7:40 PM Post
Global Moderator
A mini rally, but Counsell now waiving the Sogard.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020-09-21: Brewers (Woodruff) at Reds (Castillo) 5:40 PM CDT
Jace Peterson bought himself another week, like this game could get any worse.

Quote   Reply 
Brewers not done yet. Eric Sogard now up to the plate. Two funniest sentences I've ever heard back to back.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2020, 7:41 PM Post
Bulldogboy said:
I am still upset by the Arcia ab. I just can't believe that after all this time there was zero anticipation that he would not get a hit that he would even put the ball in play. Zero. I just can't understand how you can show no development and still be a big league regular. Oh well the fact is this week will probably end like it should and crew will fall about a game short.

His clutch starts are actually pretty good. Bad at bat. Isn’t the player we all hoped. But it was one clutch at bat when he’s had plenty of clutch moments.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020-09-21: Brewers (Woodruff) at Reds (Castillo) 5:40 PM CDT
Posted: September 21, 2020, 7:41 PM Post
I truly hope we have learned after this season to stop signing Eric Sogard to contracts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2020, 7:42 PM Post
Peterson = MVP!

Since he hit the homer, maybe that means some bench time the next couple of games.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2020, 7:44 PM Post
adambr2 said:

His OPS is now .787, and he has the best K:BB ratio on the entire team.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2020, 7:46 PM Post
This team of mostly non-hitting rentals and strikeout machines (at the plate) is one of the more uninspiring ones the Brewers have fielded in the past decade. And that’s saying something. The past offseason looks to have set the team back a few years. And that really sucks, with the Yelich contract hanging over their heads.

Maybe they strike gold this coming offseason. But if their player investment strategy doesn’t change, they are in for many more years of the same.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2020, 7:47 PM Post
LouisEly said:
adambr2 said:

His OPS is now .787, and he has the best K:BB ratio on the entire team.

Yep.......some of the guys we counted on to be good this year would like those numbers.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020-09-21: Brewers (Woodruff) at Reds (Castillo) [Brewers lose, 6-3]
Posted: September 21, 2020, 7:48 PM Post
Woodruff seems like he pitches just good enough to get beat. Some of it is the offense is godawful but man. He just seems not quite where we thought he would be. Meanwhile all of a sudden Burnes is unhittable. Crazy

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 21, 2020, 7:48 PM Post
Lostpawn said:
This team of mostly non-hitting rentals and strikeout machines (at the plate) is one of the more uninspiring ones the Brewers have fielded in the past decade. And that’s saying something. The past offseason looks to have set the team back a few years. And that really sucks, with the Yelich contract hanging over their heads.

Maybe they strike gold this coming offseason. But if their player investment strategy doesn’t change, they are in for many more years of the same.

Sky is falling!

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 176 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply