LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 282 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020-09-26: Brewers (Woodruff) at Cardinals (Wainwright) [Brewers win, 3-0 -- Woodruff pitches masterpiece; No Cardinals batter touches second base]

Offline  Re: 2020-09-26: Brewers (Woodruff) at Cardinals (Wainwright) [Brewers win, 3-0 -- Woodruff pitches masterpiece; No Cardinals batter touches second base]
Posted: September 26, 2020, 9:45 PM Post
sdcheezhd said:
82brewcrew82 said:
Is SD actually playing for anything at this point?

No, they've already clinched #1 2d place team and HFA

Bummer, thanks

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020-09-26: Brewers (Woodruff) at Cardinals (Wainwright) [Brewers win, 3-0 -- Woodruff pitches masterpiece; No Cardinals batter touches second base]
Posted: September 26, 2020, 9:45 PM Post
Global Moderator
82brewcrew82 said:
Is SD actually playing for anything at this point?

Not really, they are locked into the #4 playoff spot and hosting in the first round. That’s why they pulled Zach Davies after just 3 IP tonight.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020-09-26: Brewers (Woodruff) at Cardinals (Wainwright) [Brewers win, 3-0 -- Woodruff pitches masterpiece; No Cardinals batter touches second base]
Posted: September 26, 2020, 9:50 PM Post
I kinda figured they had nothing to play for based on their shoddy infield. At least Pham is in their to pad his stats and increase the lead for us. I think I saw on fangraphs today our playoff odds were something like 30%. That has to go up quite a bit if SF loses today. If I read correctly, we would officially control our own destiny and need just one win. Who the heck is starting tomorrow anyway?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 26, 2020, 9:51 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
I kinda figured they had nothing to play for based on their shoddy infield. At least Pham is in their to pad his stats and increase the lead for us. I think I saw on fangraphs today our playoff odds were something like 30%. That has to go up quite a bit if SF loses today. If I read correctly, we would officially control our own destiny and need just one win. Who the heck is starting tomorrow anyway?

I think the guy that tried to mow his name into the field.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 26, 2020, 9:53 PM Post
Trent Grisham 0-5 with 4k's...ouch....

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020-09-26: Brewers (Woodruff) at Cardinals (Wainwright) [Brewers win, 3-0 -- Woodruff pitches masterpiece; No Cardinals batter touches second base]
Global Moderator
It was awesome that Grisham had the game winning 3-run home run to beat the Giants last night, this evening hasn’t gone quite as well for him (0-5 with 4 K’s)

Quote   Reply 
KeithStone53151 said:

Brett Anderson gets the ball tomorrow. Austin Gomber going for the Cardinals.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 26, 2020, 9:55 PM Post
Braunie always thinking about the fans

''I think we've given our fan base hope again,'' Braun said. ''Early in the year, I don't think there was a lot of optimism out there, but we've played well enough to put ourselves in position to at least have a chance.''

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 26, 2020, 9:55 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
KeithStone53151 said:

Well OK, what's the scouting report on Gomber?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 26, 2020, 9:57 PM Post
Burnes being out really puts a damper on what they can accomplish but still why not give it a shot and get in?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 26, 2020, 9:59 PM Post
Global Moderator

Gomber has been pretty dominant overall this year, mostly in relief. He’s only gave up 5 earned runs on the season (25 IP), but 4 of those came against the Pirates 9 days ago. His highest pitch count of the season was 76 in his last start (versus the Royals). Hopefully the Brewers can get to him earlier than that tomorrow.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 26, 2020, 9:59 PM Post
82brewcrew82 said:
KeithStone53151 said:

Well OK, what's the scouting report on Gomber?

Per Adam Wainwright:
“Austin has got great stuff,” Wainwright said. “He's got a good heater, he's got a very good change-up that he showed last time out, and he's got a great curveball — I mean a great curveball. And he's got a nasty slider, so he’s got four big league quality pitches from the left side. He’s tall, throws across his body, he's got a lot of deception there. So I like a lot of the stuff that Austin brings to the table.”

And a little more:

The 26-year-old Gomber has a 1.80 ERA this season in 25 innings. He’s made three starts, but has been building his arm up, since he was a reliever for much of the season. His most recent start, last Tuesday against Mike Matheny’s Kansas City Royals, featured six scoreless and walk-less innings. He struck out three, allowing four hits in his first win of 2020 — a big win, considering they’re all big in the final push here.

On Saturday, Mike Shildt was asked about Gomber’s curveball, but the skipper made sure to point out the change-up, too — used rarely, it was a weapon in the Royals game. But as for the curve, Shildt remembers the first time he saw it. It was March 2, 2016. Gomber, then 22, was the Cardinals' youngest pitcher in big-league camp. They gave him the start in the first spring training game of the year — sure enough, against Florida Atlantic, Gomber’s alma mater.

“He started that spring training game, and I didn't have any history of Austin, outside of hearing his name in organizational meetings,” Shildt recalled. “And you went, ‘Whoa, that's a weapon.’ That’s a big nice curveball that you don't see every day. And the other thing that struck me — this guy's got a weapon that you can use.”

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 26, 2020, 10:01 PM Post
Global Moderator
Brewers officially control whether or not they’ll make the playoffs. A win tomorrow and they’re in. They could still back into the playoffs with a loss as well (needing Giants and Phillies loses), but lets not let it get to that point.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 26, 2020, 10:04 PM Post
Gomber probably means Vogelbach on the bench and having to rely on somebody like Urias and Nottingham. Better pray Gryrko can go.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 26, 2020, 10:06 PM Post
Also of note that the Cardinals still have something to play for tomorrow as they have NOT clinched. So while teams like the Giants are drawing opponents with nothing to play for, our opponent still does. They likely wouldn't if they had already had their series against Detroit.

Just another subtle way in which the Cardinals COVID outbreak has actually affected US negatively rather than them. (Us losing a home game being another)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 26, 2020, 10:10 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Also of note that the Cardinals still have something to play for tomorrow as they have NOT clinched. So while teams like the Giants are drawing opponents with nothing to play for, our opponent still does. They likely wouldn't if they had already had their series against Detroit.

Just another subtle way in which the Cardinals COVID outbreak has actually affected US negatively rather than them. (Us losing a home game being another)

The Cardinals did have to play 10 doubleheaders to make up those games, so it isn't like they've gotten off totally easy.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 26, 2020, 10:13 PM Post
538 now has the Brewers at 65%, Giants at 25% (they need 2 tossup games to go their way) and Phillies at 14%.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 26, 2020, 10:28 PM Post
adambr2 said:

The Cardinals did have to play 10 doubleheaders to make up those games, so it isn't like they've gotten off totally easy.

The opponents have had to play those doubleheader too. I don't know what the Cardinals' record has been in their doubleheader games but I believe it's been overwhelmingly on the positive side for them.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 26, 2020, 10:32 PM Post
Based on how this season has gone I expect 100% to be let down tomorrow. It's not that I don't think we can win but it feels like we have been given hope about 20 times this season only to have it taken away every time, so I am trying not to get my hopes up.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 26, 2020, 11:10 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Based on how this season has gone I expect 100% to be let down tomorrow. It's not that I don't think we can win but it feels like we have been given hope about 20 times this season only to have it taken away every time, so I am trying not to get my hopes up.

At least we are only trying to reach 500 and not go above 500, because then we would be doomed.

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 282 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply