LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 54 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020 MLB Postseason: World Series

Offline  Re: 2020 MLB Postseason: World Series

Posted: October 27, 2020, 9:52 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Eye Black said:
They are reporting Justin Turner left the game tonight due to a positive COVID test. Don’t they get the results to those before the game?

That's really bad timing. No celebrating for him!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2020, 9:54 PM Post
Global Moderator
owbc said:
Eye Black said:
They are reporting Justin Turner left the game tonight due to a positive COVID test. Don’t they get the results to those before the game?

Maybe he felt ill during the game and received a rapid test? So many questions, but regardless it seems like an unfortunate yet appropriate way for the 2020 baseball season to end.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2020, 9:58 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Eye Black said:
owbc said:
Eye Black said:

Maybe he felt ill during the game and received a rapid test? So many questions, but regardless it seems like an unfortunate yet appropriate way for the 2020 baseball season to end.

That and the loud booing of Manfred by the 11,000 fans. Quite the way for the season to go out.

I'm already looking forward to April and hopefully being at a game in person again.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2020, 10:13 PM Post
Global Moderator
More details per Jeff Passan:

In the second inning tonight, the lab doing COVID tests informed MLB that Justin Turner’s test from yesterday came back inconclusive. The samples from today had just arrived and were run. It showed up positive. The league immediately called the Dodgers and said to pull Turner.

When the Dodgers return to their hotel tonight, everybody will be given a rapid PCR test. On the field right now, as they celebrate, the Dodgers are wearing masks. Unclear as to whether they’ll stay in Dallas area before traveling back to Los Angeles. Situation fluid right now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2020, 11:04 PM Post
owbc said:
Eye Black said:

He was out on the field no mask on right next to Robert's in the team photo.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 28, 2020, 3:42 AM Post
DODGERS, BABY!!!

Anyway, here's clip of the booing. It almost looked like Manfred was going to cry.

https://twitter.com/korkedbats/status/1 ... 93153?s=20

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 28, 2020, 9:46 AM Post
Pulling Snell was very much a CC type thing...

They can take it too far, and this is the perfect example of that.

It's pretty ridiculous really.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 28, 2020, 10:46 AM Post
Global Moderator
Justin Turner is a douche. I understand that many of his teammates may have already been exposed over the course of the game but there is such a thing as mitigating risk. If you know you're diagnosed, stay away from people.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 28, 2020, 12:43 PM Post
turborickey said:

That was a horrible move the second it happened. When he gave up the single I thought, this would be a good time to get somebody warming up in case he gets in trouble. To yank him was asinine.

I really wish we could have seen how game 7 would have played out, especially with Turner popping positive and so on.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 28, 2020, 1:17 PM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
Justin Turner is a douche. I understand that many of his teammates may have already been exposed over the course of the game but there is such a thing as mitigating risk. If you know you're diagnosed, stay away from people.

I think it's pretty obvious that whoever ends up signing Turner this offseason better plan on not having him for what's likely going to be a lengthy suspension, judging by the statement MLB just released on the matter:

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 28, 2020, 1:26 PM Post
turborickey said:

It would be more accurate to call it a Mike Budenholzer type thing, which I'm glad he did.

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 28, 2020, 7:14 PM Post
I'm guessing Turner gets something like 10 days. It isn't going to be something extraordinary that ends up with a big fight with the MLBPA.

It was probably the biggest moment of Justin Turner's life and he decided in that moment that the consequences were worth it to him to have that moment. I get it. I'm not saying it was right and that it wasn't selfish, but I get it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 29, 2020, 9:36 AM Post
Kind of glad LA won, they and Kershaw deserve it. Now I can comfortably lump them in the big market camp team to dislike and root against like all the others. Even still, I actually don't really dislike anything about their team/players now that Machado isn't there.

The Cash bashing to me is a bit disingenuous in that it ignores how that strategy is what got them there. If I remember correctly he got ripped for it game 5 or 6 vs Houston too and came back and did the same thing in game 7 and it worked just fine. It's outside the traditional way so if it doesn't work it gets ripped, but when it does work it just flies by and no one mentions. That said, I generally agree this one was a quick hook and they should've given him one or two more batters since he'd been doing so well and that reliever Anderson had been struggling. Plus when you're an ace type level guy like Snell (or say Woodruff in our case) you should probably give more flex in the strategy. When it's say Wade Miley or Chase Anderson it's a bit different, pull the plug quickly.

The bigger thing to me was in Game 1 when he left Glasnow out there for so long. I had it on and said it at the time that I couldn't believe it was happening since it went against this strategy so hard. Plus, they'd just had days off so everyone was fresh in the pen and WS was allowing off days instead of 7 straight days for the pen. I couldn't believe it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 29, 2020, 10:13 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
The Cash bashing to me is a bit disingenuous in that it ignores how that strategy is what got them there. If I remember correctly he got ripped for it game 5 or 6 vs Houston too and came back and did the same thing in game 7 and it worked just fine. It's outside the traditional way so if it doesn't work it gets ripped, but when it does work it just flies by and no one mentions. That said, I generally agree this one was a quick hook and they should've given him one or two more batters since he'd been doing so well and that reliever Anderson had been struggling. Plus when you're an ace type level guy like Snell (or say Woodruff in our case) you should probably give more flex in the strategy. When it's say Wade Miley or Chase Anderson it's a bit different, pull the plug quickly.

I'm generally in the same boat as you, as in it's just how they operate and it's clearly organizational, not just something Cash does.

But, I watched Jomboy Media's breakdown video of this situation and I have to say, the statistics do not back up the decision to remove Blake Snell at that moment. At least as the video presents it, I can't say that I've done my own research so I'm kind of accepting that what is presented is true.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 54 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply