LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 80 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brad Penny available?

Offline  Brad Penny available?

Posted: November 26, 2006, 6:06 PM Post
According to Rotoworld, the Dodgers are looking to sign Randy Wolf which would make Brad Penny available.

Quote:
According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the Dodgers have emerged as the favorites to sign Randy Wolf. Wolf is apparently willing to take a lesser deal to head home to Southern California. The move would give the Dodgers a rotation of Derek Lowe, Brad Penny, Wolf, Chad Billingsley and either Mark Hendrickson, Hong-Chih Kuo or Brett Tomko. However, the Dodgers still might either re-sign Greg Maddux or bring in Jason Schmidt. They could then possibly trade Penny for the outfielder they desire.

Would they be interested in Jenkins? I assume we would have to kick in more to get the deal done. As long as it does not include one of our top 3 prospects, it would be tempting. Penny would be a nice replacement for DD.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 26, 2006, 8:19 PM Post
I'd like Penny. He has a limited no trade clause though. Money shouldn't be a problem ($7.5M in 2007, $8.5M in 2008 and a clup option worth $8.75M in 2009.)

If we could get him here for Jenkins+something else I'd do it.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 26, 2006, 8:22 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
I would imagine the Dodgers would have some interest in Jenkins, although I agree that it'd take more than him to net Penny. Losing Drew leaves the Dodgers with no experienced RF. Jenks went to USC, don't know if that factors in much.

I think I like the idea; I don't know Penny's injury history, but it seems he has a seasoned arm without overwork.

That limited no-trade clause probably means Penny was/is able to make a list of a few teams (8-10?) to which he cannot be traded. He can always waive that clause, though.

I wouldn't want to throw in much more than Jenkins, and I'd bet that, for Penny, the Dodgers would get better offers. I'll leave it up to everyone else to toss some additional names around. I will say this -- adding Ramon E. Martinez (IF utilityman, career .270 BA, doesn't K much, doesn't draw many BBs a la Estrada) as our extra piece would function very nicely

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 26, 2006, 11:40 PM Post
Quote:
If we could get him here for Jenkins+something else I'd do it.

Me too. Dodgers probably want a relief pitcher too, I'd try to trade Jenkins and either Wise or Turnbow for Brad Penny (if he's available).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2006, 1:29 AM Post
Getting Penny for Jenkins and a part would be huge. Would definitely fill the trade of Davis even if Doug returned to form. Jenkins only having 1 year left on his contract maybe attractive to LA with next year supposedly beign a better FA class they might be looking for a nice short term solution, instead of fighting for table scraps.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2006, 3:17 AM Post
Global Moderator
Yes please. If they're willing to trade Penny, he jumps to #1 on my Christmas wish list.

I'd imagine we're have to offer something of value with Jenkins as well.... an arm like Jackson perhaps?

I'd still be all over that, and pick up as much of Jenkins' salary as necessary.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2006, 4:07 AM Post
Me too. Dodgers probably want a relief pitcher too, I'd try to trade Jenkins and either Wise or Turnbow for Brad Penny (if he's available).

Brewers will have to pony up to get Penny. He has electric stuff and was for a good portion of last season talked about being a CY Young candidate.

Dodgers have a lot young OFers that they are talking about putting in the corners this year. I don't see them taking T-Bow as they have the Oriental closer, Braxton, and some young power arms.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2006, 4:15 AM Post
Penny and dodgers management haven't been the best of friends so he probably is available. That said, Jenkins won't do it. Now Jenkins, Vargas, and Jackson maybe a starting point.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2006, 4:38 AM Post
Quote:
Now Jenkins, Vargas, and Jackson maybe a starting point.

So our rotation would be Sheets/Penny/Capuano/Bush/Villanueva. I can definitely live with that.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2006, 5:14 AM Post
Penny and dodgers management haven't been the best of friends so he probably is available. That said, Jenkins won't do it. Now Jenkins, Vargas, and Jackson maybe a starting point.

End you are right they are not on good terms. But I cannot see Ned Colleti just throwing away one of his best pitchers, because of a guy hates to lose. Penny has an issue with losing and being pulled from games. He wants to pitch a complete game all the time.

I don't see the interest in Jenks for the Dodgers. They have Pierre in CF plus Either, Kemp and other guys to play the corners. This doesn't even account for Nomar as he still could end up out there.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2006, 6:13 AM Post
Funny thing about the Dodgers not being interested. There's a Dodger fan on the ESPN board that says the Dodgers need a left handed outfielder to hit between Garciaparra and Kent.

I brougt up the Ken Rosenthal blurb and how the Brewers should give Jenkins+something else to get Penny.

I'm still waiting for a response.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2006, 8:33 AM Post
I would love to have penny on this team. Count me in on trying to get him!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2006, 10:37 AM Post
He's a good pitcher, and he doesn't get along with the braintrust in LA, which is probably why they would sign someone like Randy Wolf to replace him. I'd love to see the Brewers try and get him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2006, 11:47 AM Post
Jenkins is not remotely overpaid after this spendy offseason. While he isn't worth as much as Brad Penny (especially since Penny is making #5 SP money), Geoff now has value despite his salary, while a month ago, he only had value if we picked up $2-3M of his paycheck.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2006, 2:32 PM Post
If we could add Penny for a combination of Jenks + Jackson (plus a low level prospect) or Jenks + Vargas (plus a low level prospect) I would be insanely happy.

Jenkins (while not a top slugging left hander) is far better than Kemp.

This deal makes too much sense. Not to mention, neither team would be adding significant payroll, which is nice as well.

Get it done Doug!

Rotation: (would be the best in the division)
Sheets
Capuano
Penny
Bush
Villanueva

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2006, 6:55 PM Post
How about Jenks and Miller?

The Dodgers have stated that they want Piazza back and he'd start 100-110 games. Damian would serve as backup to him.

I loved watching Penny throw about 25 straight fastballs at the all star game last year. That was very impressive.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2006, 7:48 PM Post
They have Martin and Hall, they should be fine at Catcher.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2006, 8:15 PM Post
Does it matter that Penny, like Vargas, didn't quite average 6 full innings per start in '06? 33 starts + 1 relief appearance, 189 IP. I like the idea of the guy, but this little tidbit stands out.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2006, 8:43 PM Post
I'd love to add Ethier. He and LaRoche were the Fall Leaguers I enjoyed being around. He's great as a teammate and with the media. Ethier does nothing great, but everything at least adequately. I'd peg him as a .275 15-20 hr guy, who draws lots of walks.

So I'd happily do Jenkins and either a prospect or a reliever like Turnbow or Wise, for Penny and Ethier

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 27, 2006, 9:41 PM Post
So I'd happily do Jenkins and either a prospect or a reliever like Turnbow or Wise, for Penny and Ethier

I think Jenkins + a prospect/relieve might fall short of adding just Penny...

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 80 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply