LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 80 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brad Penny available?

Offline  Brad Penny available?

Posted: December 05, 2006, 2:31 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Penny for which Brewers? Jenkins, and Mench... and someone else?

Most likely. Who then? ZachJack? Capellan? CV? I'd be willing to bet the two OF, plus one pitcher mentioned, would be a starting point

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2006, 3:16 PM Post
If we don't succeed in signing Schmidt (which it sounds like we won't be) and the Dodgers get him. I would definitely try to move Jenks + Jackson to the Dodgers for Penny. Our rotation with Sheets, Capuano, Penny and Bush would still be one of the best in the league.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 7:16 AM Post
Ken Rosenthal just said on FoxSports.com that Schmidt is signing with the Dodgers...Jenkins for Penny, anyone? Or Mench and Turnbow for Penny?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 7:19 AM Post
Heck... I'd do Jenkins and Lieber for Penny.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 7:21 AM Post
GO DOUG GO!

I would love to see the Brewers add Penny, and it seems like Jenkins+Turnbow+Jackson would get it done. Jackson was OK when brought up this season, but I highly doubt he will be as good as Penny, and certainly not next year. I would definitely prefer Penny to Jon Lieber, that's for sure, and I feel like we have the pieces to get it done. So I repeat, GO DOUGIE GO!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 7:22 AM Post
Agreed...we've got enough dead weight to make this work. The Dodgers want a hitter...let's give them both Mench and Jenkins!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 7:27 AM Post
They really could do better than Mench or Jenkins though. It will likely take a solid prospect along with Jenkins and maybe even another arm.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 7:42 AM Post
From the Arizona Republic:
"Although the Dodgers likely won't offer as much as the Orioles, Luis Gonzalez is leaning toward staying in the NL West and signing with Los Angeles."

This would definetly hurt our chances with a trade with the Dodgers, if they acquire Gonzalez they would have no need for Jenkins, nor Mench

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 7:45 AM Post
Brad Penny-S-Dodgers Dec. 6 - 1:34 pm et

With Jason Schmidt reportedly choosing the Dodgers, it's more likely that Brad Penny will be dealt this winter.

As things stand now, the Dodgers have a rotation of Schmidt, Penny, Derek Lowe, Randy Wolf and Chad Billingsley. Penny's departure would put Mark Hendrickson, Hong-Chih Kuo and Brett Tomko back into the mix. Penny is owed $18 million over the next two years or $24.75 million for the next three years, making him something of a bargain in this market

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 7:48 AM Post
If they acquire Gonzalez they'll need a 4th Ofer. Not on the bench, in the field. Why does Gonzalez have anybody after him?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 7:50 AM Post
52 doubles last year.

He can still hit. Not like he could, but he still had alot of XBH last year.

Maybe his shoulder has healed and he can handle left field. I dunno.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 7:52 AM Post
He's a 39 year old with a sub 800 OPS in Arizona. Its like Steve Finely never happened.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 8:20 AM Post
Global Moderator
Despite adding Schmidt, the Dodgers are still talking to Mulder and Suppan.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 8:22 AM Post
The Dodgers have a tremendous amount of pitching in their system. Just take a look at their Jacksonville (AA) pitching stats from last season. I doubt that Jackson excites them all that much. But a Jenkins/Lieber combo might do the trick.

Or the Brewers could set sights lower forget Lieber and inquire about Tomko. He can start or pitch out of the pen, a perfect complement/backup plan to Villanueva or Vargas. And he's only due $4.1 million in 07 with club option of $4.5 in 08. Plus he's 3 years younger than Lieber.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 8:27 AM Post
I want Penny would they do a jenkins/turnbow/prospect trade... I would keep him all three years also. He's ok with me!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 8:51 AM Post
From ESPN update section,

"The Astros remain interested in Aubrey Huff. But he appears to be a player who could be indirectly affected by Andy Pettitte. If Pettitte signs for large dollars, the Astros would have to move a salary to sign someone like Huff. The Dodgers are also believed to have interest in Huff as an outfielder if they don't sign Luis Gonzalez."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 9:09 AM Post
it is looking more and more like doug is striking out this winter...if he is trying. i know it's early. but jenkins is gonna stay i have a feeling...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 12:38 PM Post
Rotoworld has us listed as a potential suitor for Penny.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 1:04 PM Post
Can I officially get my hopes up?

kinda makes sense, if everyone else in the division is adding bats, may as well go the other way and build a great rotation.

I can't figure who we'd have to give up for a good pitcher, though? It doesn't seem like Villy/Jenkins/TBow would really be close to enough.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 1:19 PM Post
The Dodgers are already shopping Brad Penny, according to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick.

Penny has been mentioned as a possibility for the Red Sox in a Manny Ramirez deal, but nothing it likely to happen there. Some of the teams that could seek Penny include the Mets, Blue Jays, Cubs, Yankees, Phillies, Rangers, Mariners, Cardinals, A's, Astros, Reds and Brewers. The Dodgers could use him to bring in a corner outfielder or maybe exchange him for bullpen help.
Source: ESPN.com

This is the full rotoworld report. It seems we have some corner outfielders to spare. So it is atleast a possibilty

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 80 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply