LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 24 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Twins interested in Cirillo

Offline  Twins interested in Cirillo

Posted: December 08, 2006, 5:34 AM Post
From the Minneapolis Star Tribune . . .

The Twins were expected to offer Cirillo a contract Thursday night, according to agent Ken Felder. Felder didn't disclose details, but the deal is expected to be for around $1 million and probably include incentives. The Brewers and Reds also are expected to make offers.

"I think a decision would likely come before the holidays," Felder said.

Cirillo, 37, batted .319 with three homers and 23 RBI in 112 games with Milwaukee last season. The Twins would use Cirillo, a career .299 hitter at the Metrodome, primarily as a backup at third base, first base and designated hitter.

"I'm not going to get into specifics," Twins General Manager Terry Ryan said. "We're looking for a little righthanded production around the infield."

Cirillo has spent eight of his 13 major league seasons with the Brewers and is comfortable with them. On the other hand, the Brewers have signed Craig Counsell and Tony Graffanino accepted the club's salary arbitration offer, making Cirillo worried about playing time.

(I had also read on the Brewers site that Doug Melvin would only guarantee him the money and not the playing time. Melvin sounded kind of blunt. I just didn't get a good vibe out of it)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2006, 7:22 AM Post
Global Moderator
I'd love to see him back, but wouldn't be heart broken if he ends up elsewhere, given the glut of infield and utility players the Brewers now have.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2006, 8:09 AM Post
Lightening in the bottle, let him go. He won't produce next
year the same as this past year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2006, 8:19 AM Post
Quote:
Lightening in the bottle, let him go. He won't produce next year the same as this past year.

Umm, Jeff has produced well for two seasons in a row for the Brewers.

Now, unless you can predict the future, I suggest you back up your opinion with something.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2006, 8:23 AM Post

Director of Site Operations
Board Administrator
[ Now, unless you can predict the future, I suggest you back up your opinion with something. ]

Isn't it weird that every jersey other than a Brewers jersey is like Kryptonite to Cirillo?

I don't usually believe in jinxes, but Cirillo's a really weird guy, stat-wise. I honestly don't think he'd perform well outside of Milwaukee.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2006, 8:40 AM Post
Cirillo did nicely in COL.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2006, 8:42 AM Post
If i had my choice i would keep CIrillo but i also would not have signed Craig Council either so who knows!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2006, 8:43 AM Post
Quote:
Cirillo did nicely in COL.

I could hit 20 hrs a year in Denver.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2006, 8:49 AM Post
Quote:
Isn't it weird that every jersey other than a Brewers jersey is like Kryptonite to Cirillo?

I don't usually believe in jinxes, but Cirillo's a really weird guy, stat-wise. I honestly don't think he'd perform well outside of Milwaukee.

He's like the 21st century Kevin Seitzer (whom I believe he took over for at 3B in the mid-90s). The Brewers picked up a supposed washed up Seitzer in 1992, only to see him lead the team in hitting. Seitzer signed as a FA with Oakland, where he completely fell flat on his face and was cut. After resigning with the Brewers, he put up several seasons of All-Star calibur numbers before being shipped off yet again for Jeromy Burnitz, opeing up 3B for Cirillo. Burnitz went on to shine for the Brewers, while Seitzer floundered for the Indians in their playoff push that year. He retired after the season.

If there is anybody that would believe Milwaukee is heaven for a hitter, it would be Seitzer. Cirillo is copying him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2006, 9:15 AM Post
I'm willing to believe that Cirillo is over the mental anguish he put himself through when he was pressing too hard in Seattle. I think that wherever he goes, you're going to see what you've been seeing pretty much.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2006, 10:24 AM Post

BBQ Lefty
Global Moderator
If there is anybody that would believe Milwaukee is heaven for a hitter, it would be Seitzer. Cirillo is copying him.

Maybe Milwaukee's third base bag has mystical properties.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2006, 11:04 AM Post
only 1 mil? cmon and we paid counsell 3 mil...in my opinion cirillo>>counsell..especially now with graffy going to be around

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2006, 12:44 PM Post
Quote:
I could hit 20 hrs a year in Denver.

I want to this.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2006, 1:36 PM Post
Give the past two years plus the possibility of a real need @ 3b, I'd push hard to bring him back. Convince Jeff that Council and Graffy are Ins for the middle IF and he is the RH bat @ 3b behind Koskie.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2006, 1:36 PM Post
in my opinion cirillo>>counsell..especially now with graffy going to be around

As a hitter I agree. However, Counsell gets the edge on this team as far as value due to his ability to play SS every day if needed. The Crew already has Graffy who really takes over a lot of the duties Rillo did.

I'd love to see Jeff back (he's one of my favorites). However, if I were him I think I'd strongly consider Minnesota because he can DH and get more ABs.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2006, 1:37 PM Post
Council can play SS. Hall is now an OF. Cirillo can't play short. Council offers us a pinch runner that we didn't have last year off the bench, and unless we move 2 out 3 OF'ers (Mench, Jenks and Clark) Tony Gwynn (The only in-house option as a late inning speedster)will be in AAA. Cirillo hurt his value IMHO late last season we said he was playing too much and we had to play Bell more at the hot corner. Jeff Cirillo is a good player that I want to see with the team, but he wants playing time, but not too much? He can't have it both ways. Couldn't we have Vinny Rittino do about the same for less?

------------------

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2006, 3:45 PM Post
Quote:
We're looking for a little righthanded production around the infield."

Trade 'em Graffy.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2006, 3:53 PM Post
the state of minnesota always takes our players....:(

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2006, 4:33 PM Post
at least if he played for Minnesota we could still visit him on weekends:)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2006, 4:38 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
If Jeff Cirillo signs with the Minnesota, I am going to cry. I would have to cheer for a Twins player. Bullcrap.

@YouKnowAndThat | Almost, Tim Dell

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 24 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply