LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 82 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewer interest in Baldelli? Now Crawford?

Offline  Brewer interest in Baldelli? Now Crawford?

Posted: December 04, 2006, 9:35 AM Post
Ooops, sorry to mess things up guys.

I think I posted for about a year straight how I couldn't handle "Clemons" and "Maddox" being spelled around here. So my sly attempt at humor went awry. I should have used the blue font. My apologies upfront. I'm fully aware its not their brother/cousin.

Now, back to your regularily schedule Baldelli rumor.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2006, 9:49 AM Post
Quote:
fstorm, sure pitching depth is important but everyday players with the skills and track record of Baldelli who is just 25 and tied up through 2011 for a mere $26 million do not come along everyday.

I agree completely with John Briggs on this one. Especially given the friendly contract situation as well. I wouldn't give up a top tier guy, but a couple of promising good players and a nugget in Aquino- sure. Where does Doug sign?????

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2006, 10:58 AM Post
I'd do that in a second. He's a CF, which Crawford is not (though I like Crawford more as a player, Baldelli probably fits better).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2006, 11:26 AM Post
Sign me up if Tampa would accept,but i doubt they would given his nice contract status.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2006, 11:29 AM Post
Global Moderator
You'd need a pitcher or three after that, but I'd do it. And wouldn't that be sweet to know that Danny Kolb and Wayne Franklin eventually turned into Baldelli?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2006, 11:47 AM Post
"(though I like Crawford more as a player, Baldelli probably fits better)"

actually I think Crawford fits better. He's a pure leadoff hitter when Baldelli isn't (he doesn't take walks), and we could certainly slip Hall into CF to play Crawford in left. Since both have good contracts, I'd rather offer up another prospect or add in cash and get Crawford. Plus Crawford's not injury-prone.

man, I'm just not going to get any work done this week, I'm always on this site and mlb.com to check for the next trade to come down or for the next comedic signing by the Giants.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2006, 11:52 AM Post
Personally, I'd like to see them do all they can to avoid moving Hall to the OF.

Crawford doesn't really take walks, either. I think he's a down the order hitter, and not a leadoff hitter. The Brewers have Weeks to leadoff for the time being, anyway.

Like I said, though, I love Crawford. I'm more lukewarm on Baldelli, but they wouldn't have to give as much to get Baldelli, either.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2006, 11:53 AM Post
Hart is still the leadoff hitter of the future!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2006, 11:57 AM Post
www.roccobaldelli.com/

Rocco Baldelli foundation if anyone is interested. When I see that a player is active in the community and charity I like to help spread the word.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2006, 12:08 PM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Board Administrator
He would instantly become my favorite Brewer.

I have to admit, there's just something about the name "Rocco Baldelli" that I think would play very well in Milwaukee. (Though I'd rather not see CV go.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2006, 12:18 PM Post
I would do that Baldelli trade in a second also. Then you just use Jenkins, Graffanino, Mench and/or Clark to get more arms.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2006, 5:39 PM Post
Quote:
storm, sure pitching depth is important but everyday players with the skills and track record of Baldelli who is just 25 and tied up through 2011 for a mere $26 million do not come along everyday. It is not unreasonable to expect Baldelli to post a .300 BA, 20-30 HR per year, play a solid CF, steal some bases and be a cornerstone player

Although I see your side, and I agree that having that type of player at that age would be great, I'm still not sure if I'm sold on the idea. We're talking about 3 pre-29 year old pitchers, two of whom I happen to think could be very good for quite some time (Cap and Vill), especially Vill. At 22, he gave us all a delicious sip of of the full bottle this past year...those 3 should, in my opinion, net us not just a "potentially" great player, but a "proven" star.

Maybe 2 of the three, but not all three.

Plus, I still look at it from a replacement standpoint: which is easier, 1 good outfielder, or 3 good/above average arms?

And yes, I apologize for what may be the weirdest analogy I've ever used in my life. I have no idea where that came from, and again, I humbly apologize. "Delicious sip..."? What did I drink tonight? Yikes.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2006, 5:53 PM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Board Administrator
And yes, I apologize for what may be the weirdest analogy I've ever used in my life.

It's just winter meetings excitement. We understand. :)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2006, 1:51 AM Post
Seeing what the Devil Rays are requested from the O's, I don't think they would be interested in Aquino, Cappellan and Villanueva for Baldelli. From the Baltimore Sun,

"The Orioles are very intrigued by Tampa Bay Devil Rays center fielder Rocco Baldelli, who is said to be available. However, one American League executive, who was aware of the Devil Rays' asking price for Baldelli, said it would probably take Loewen and Ray for Tampa Bay to sign off on the deal.
The Orioles might do one of the pitchers for the oft-injured Baldelli, but not both."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2006, 5:02 AM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
Well at this point Villanueva has shown about as much as Loewen has in the bigs, and Capellan and Aquino address the bullpen areas quite nicely. I dont think the Brewers are that far off. And if the Orioles are only offering one of those two that makes the BRewes offer all the more attractive.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2006, 5:22 AM Post
Yeah, I agree with RyDogg. If anything, that report about the Orioles makes me the think even more that Villy/Cap/Aquino could get it done.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2006, 5:28 AM Post
I don't see why the Rays would want Aquino if they were to get Capellan. As pointed out earlier, at this point, Aquino is just a guy....who once was a closer. He is, for all intents and purposes, Fausto Carmona. That said, I have a hard time believing that, given the price of centerfielders this offseason, Doug Melvin wouldn't put his Herbie Hancock on such a trade, even if you replaced Aquino with a better nugget.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2006, 6:38 AM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
Florida is offering a deal around pitcher Ricky Nolasco. Is he any good?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2006, 7:09 AM Post
I would trade for baldelli in an instant. I wanted to trade overbay for an injured baldelli last year.

something to think about that is very rarely included on this board in the same paragraph that includes praise for our pitching prospects: how many times have we said our minor league hitters' stats are not as great as other teams' prospects because we play in pitchers' parks? if the brewers play in pitchers' parks, then wouldn't our pitchers' stats also be just a little bit inflated? Everybody says Huntsville is a big pitchers' park. then wouldn't we expect the players that pitch at huntsville to have great pitching stats?

hendrickson posted tremendous stats in the minors as did Eveland. however, once they arrived to the majors, they were both less than mediocre. the same could be said for many other over hyped brewer minor league pitching prospects in the past and currently.

if you can acqquire a proven star MLB player in crawford or baldelli, I say the time is now to part ways with one or two of those prospects before the world knows they are just the second coming of hendrickson and teams offer us guys like gross, nix and mench for them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2006, 7:41 AM Post
? The Devil Rays for now wisely are rejecting overtures for outfielders Carl Crawford and Rocco Baldelli, who as young established players under cheap contracts are exactly the building blocks the team needs. If they can establish at least two of their next wave of youngsters -- Elijah Dukes, Delmon Young and B.J. Upton -- then they could begin to think of dealing from positional depth for pitching.

sportsillustrated.cnn.com...tte/1.html

I never really understood the Devil Rays desire to trade either Crawford or Baldelli, and now it looks like they're rethinking that plan.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 82 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply