LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

[ 9 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Would San Diego want Mench?

Offline  Would San Diego want Mench?

Posted: December 05, 2006, 8:18 PM Post
A San Diego newspaper is speculating that the Padres might be interested in Kevin Mench. It's been well known that they are looking for a new leftfielder.

Last offseason, the Padres showed trade interest in left fielder Kevin Mench, a right-handed slugger who was with the Rangers when Padres Vice President of Scouting and Development Grady Fuson worked for Texas. Of late, the Brewers have been fielding offers for Mench.

Just for discussion's sake, which Padres player would you want in return?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2006, 9:00 PM Post
Chris Young

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2006, 9:11 PM Post
They would laugh in our faces if we asked for that. Maybe one of there catching prospects?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2006, 10:07 PM Post
This is related more to San Diego than to Mench, but Keith Law made a pretty good point:

Quote:
Maddux relies on his infield defense pretty heavily due to his groundball tendency and his decreasing ability to miss bats. So if the Padres play Kevin Kouzmanoff at third and then sign Ronnie Belliard to play second, then Maddux isn't going to get the defensive support he needs -- meaning that perhaps the Padres will look elsewhere for a second-base option after all.

I'd most rather have Graffanino out of him, Cirillo (close second) and Counsell, and I don't like the idea of counting on the starters to play 130+ each in front of one guy who admits he can't play a week in a row and another guy I'd hate to see doing it. Maybe that's why Melvin says they can definitely keep all three, and to a point it really seems smarter than the alternative.

But it sounds like GM talk at this point. Maybe Graffanino will sign somewhere, I'd guess San Diego would rather give up a pick than a player? Otherwise, maybe Mench + Graffanino could keep the relievers out of a trade. SD might as well protect their $16M investment and try to get something out of him beside "veteran leadership."

PS I know this is the rumors and proposals board, but if everyone could consider doing me a little St Nick's favor and sticking it out through this thread without mentioning (rhymes with Wake Weavy), I would really be grateful to all.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 1:32 AM Post
It's possible Towers might have a little conversation with Doug, and agree to sign Graff as a consideration for trading for Mench with a slightly less valuable player. Something akin to potential reliever in AA and a draft pick as total compensation. Kind of sneaky but I think it would make everyone happy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 3:37 AM Post
San Diego has bullpen arms the Brewers could certainly use.

But Melvin seems intent on holding on to Turnbow for some reason.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 4:04 AM Post
i think turnbow will be back to allstar form next year... just wait.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 1:49 PM Post
Well it makes sense. I cant imagine a team who expects to be playoff bound will enter the season with Termel Sledge as its starting LF. They also need a 2b and another SP. How about Jenkins or Mench(whoever they prefer), Vargas, and Graffy for Linebrink and a prospect... maybe Jered Wells.
-Don

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2006, 2:02 PM Post
Haven't they soured on Tim Stauffer? Maybe it's still to soon for them to feel compelled to trade him, though.

I'd take Matt Bush as a throw-in, just so I could follow more closely just how bad he is.

I would've loved to have gotten Cla Meredith before he blew up last year.

Quote   Reply 
 [ 9 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply