LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next  [ 292 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??

Author Message
Offline  Re: Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??
Posted: May 18, 2017, 6:11 PM Post
Posts: 10638
When a journeyman like Eric Sogard shows up and literally carries the team for a week, you know something special is happening. It doesn't happen often. Scott Fletcher came out of obscurity in 1992 with big hit after big hit. That was before wild card but they scared the bejeebers out of Toronto that year.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??
Posted: May 19, 2017, 7:27 AM Post
Posts: 76
At this point, with the Brewers in first place and Garza (small sample alert) their most effective starter, there is absolutely no reason to trade him at the deadline, unless they are out of the race by then. If they want to deal him it can be done over the winter. Keeping Garza would be equivalent to trading for a starting pitcher at the deadline, except of course it costs nothing.

That is, of course, if he keeps pitching the way he has been. Possibly a big if.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??
Posted: May 19, 2017, 10:03 AM Post
Posts: 5720
JohnBriggs12 said:
When a journeyman like Eric Sogard shows up and literally carries the team for a week, you know something special is happening. It doesn't happen often. Scott Fletcher came out of obscurity in 1992 with big hit after big hit. That was before wild card but they scared the bejeebers out of Toronto that year.


Actually, it happens all the time and doesn't really mean anything. Last year a journeyman pitcher ended up being the best starting pitcher the Brewers had. And they ended under .500. Over the years, there have been both hitters and pitchers that were lights out for a short period, or even the entire season and it didn't mean anything.

Sogard is a good story, and he's been fun to watch. But it's not some sort of omen that this is a year of destiny.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??
Posted: May 19, 2017, 10:16 AM Post
Posts: 1625
Location: Madison, WI
Taylor Jungman the year before. Just recent-ish Brewer examples off the top of my head: Brady Clark, Podsednik, McGehee. Stuff like this happens all over baseball all the time, maybe not hitting .600 for a week but you know what I mean...


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??
Posted: May 20, 2017, 8:39 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 696
SandyTolan said:
At this point, with the Brewers in first place and Garza (small sample alert) their most effective starter, there is absolutely no reason to trade him at the deadline, unless they are out of the race by then. If they want to deal him it can be done over the winter. Keeping Garza would be equivalent to trading for a starting pitcher at the deadline, except of course it costs nothing.

That is, of course, if he keeps pitching the way he has been. Possibly a big if.


Matt Garza has been hot garbage for 2 years, and we've been hoping someone would offer us a sack of baseballs to get him off our hands. Now he makes 5 good starts and he's untouchable?

Baseball deals are all about buying low and selling high. Everyone knows that, but it's hard to do because in the moment, when you do it right, you usually feel like you're selling an asset and buying off the scrap heap (i.e. super-reliever Tyler Thornburg for newly benched Travis Shaw and other). The Brewers have not been good at this over the years, I hope that changes under DS.

I hope Garza keeps pitching like we all hoped he would, and then I'd trade him in a heartbeat even if we're in contention. Bring up Woodruff, keep the train moving this year and for the future.

I am not Shea Vucinich


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??
Posted: May 20, 2017, 9:05 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5578
Two years of hot garbage because he was injured off and on. Healthy he is a very good pitcher and he's showing that this season. His overall body of work trumps two bad years of issues for me. Not saying we don't trade him but say we have the lead we currently do on July 20th, and Garza is still pitching like this, no way do I trade him.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??
Posted: May 24, 2017, 12:54 PM Post
Posts: 78
Brew4U said:
Two years of hot garbage because he was injured off and on. Healthy he is a very good pitcher and he's showing that this season. His overall body of work trumps two bad years of issues for me. Not saying we don't trade him but say we have the lead we currently do on July 20th, and Garza is still pitching like this, no way do I trade him.


Because he is healthy this yr? Didn't he miss the first couple of weeks because of an injury? So if he gets hurt in June/July then what? You are willing to look past 2 years because of one good month. I can't wait to come back to this message when Garza comes back down to earth. There are alot of players pitching over there heads (Morton, Vargas, Santana, Ray) and some are struggling (Cueto, Verlander, Kluber). It is one month don't get carried away.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??
Posted: May 24, 2017, 1:09 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5578
leitermab07 said:
Brew4U said:
Two years of hot garbage because he was injured off and on. Healthy he is a very good pitcher and he's showing that this season. His overall body of work trumps two bad years of issues for me. Not saying we don't trade him but say we have the lead we currently do on July 20th, and Garza is still pitching like this, no way do I trade him.


Because he is healthy this yr? Didn't he miss the first couple of weeks because of an injury? So if he gets hurt in June/July then what? You are willing to look past 2 years because of one good month. I can't wait to come back to this message when Garza comes back down to earth. There are alot of players pitching over there heads (Morton, Vargas, Santana, Ray) and some are struggling (Cueto, Verlander, Kluber). It is one month don't get carried away.



So you can play fantasy with an injury that hasn't occurred yet but I can't state how good of a pitcher Garza was FOR SEVEN YEARS before a series of injuries the past two season? Okay, got it. Moving on....


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??
Posted: May 24, 2017, 1:44 PM Post
Posts: 78
Brew4U said:
leitermab07 said:
Brew4U said:
Two years of hot garbage because he was injured off and on. Healthy he is a very good pitcher and he's showing that this season. His overall body of work trumps two bad years of issues for me. Not saying we don't trade him but say we have the lead we currently do on July 20th, and Garza is still pitching like this, no way do I trade him.


Because he is healthy this yr? Didn't he miss the first couple of weeks because of an injury? So if he gets hurt in June/July then what? You are willing to look past 2 years because of one good month. I can't wait to come back to this message when Garza comes back down to earth. There are alot of players pitching over there heads (Morton, Vargas, Santana, Ray) and some are struggling (Cueto, Verlander, Kluber). It is one month don't get carried away.



So you can play fantasy with an injury that hasn't occurred yet but I can't state how good of a pitcher Garza was FOR SEVEN YEARS before a series of injuries the past two season? Okay, got it. Moving on....


yeah that was 3/4 years ago.. So in your eyes Pujols is still an elite hitter and Matt Cain is a stud ace... getting old has its effects and Garza has not shown to do it a full year since 2014 and two years before that he never pitched more than 84 innings. Garza is what he is, a pitcher who is hot (even though he had a dud today) who will come back down to earth by the end of the year or even by All star break. To overlook the terrible last 2 years or 4 of the last 5 years because of one month this yr makes no sense.


Last edited by leitermab07 on May 24, 2017, 1:52 PM, edited 1 time in total.

 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??
Posted: May 24, 2017, 1:52 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5578
leitermab07 said:

yeah that was 3/4 years ago.. So in your eyes Pujols is still an elite hitter and Matt Cain is a stud ace... getting old has its effects and Garza has not shown to do it a full year since 2014 and two years before that he never pitched more than 84 innings. Garza is what he is, a pitcher who is hot (even though he had a dud today) who will come back down to earth by the end of the year or even by All star break. To overlook the last 2 years because of one month this yr makes no sense.



I am by no means EVER saying that Garza is a stud. I don't think anyone has every said that recently of him. I do think however he can be a fine piece to a rotation if health continues. He's started the year well, minus today, and I do expect him to be a mid to lower 3 ERA guy if he's all fine. You're being an ass for absolutely no reason on this one.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??
Posted: May 24, 2017, 1:58 PM Post
Posts: 78
Brew4U said:
leitermab07 said:

yeah that was 3/4 years ago.. So in your eyes Pujols is still an elite hitter and Matt Cain is a stud ace... getting old has its effects and Garza has not shown to do it a full year since 2014 and two years before that he never pitched more than 84 innings. Garza is what he is, a pitcher who is hot (even though he had a dud today) who will come back down to earth by the end of the year or even by All star break. To overlook the last 2 years because of one month this yr makes no sense.



I am by no means EVER saying that Garza is a stud. I don't think anyone has every said that recently of him. I do think however he can be a fine piece to a rotation if health continues. He's started the year well, minus today, and I do expect him to be a mid to lower 3 ERA guy if he's all fine. You're being an ass for absolutely no reason on this one.


Where did I call Garza a stud or say you called him a stud? You called him a very good pitcher who is healthy this yr. I argued with it by backing it up with stats and my viewpoint, without attacking you personally. If you can't handle a good argument and your only response is to call me an ass, then I'm sorry you are so sensitive.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??
Posted: May 24, 2017, 2:05 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5578
leitermab07 said:
Where did I call Garza a stud or say you called him a stud? You called him a very good pitcher who is healthy this yr. I argued with it by backing it up with stats and my viewpoint, without attacking you personally. If you can't handle a good argument and your only response is to call me an ass, then I'm sorry you are so sensitive.


Your argument wasn't good and that wasn't my only response. I'll replay your first message towards me though for you the way I read it.

Because he is healthy this yr? - Right now, yes he's healthy

Didn't he miss the first couple of weeks because of an injury? - Yes, there is a fact

So if he gets hurt in June/July then what? -Make believe land

You are willing to look past 2 years because of one good month. -Never said I was looking past two years but was looking at the entire career of a pitcher.

I can't wait to come back to this message when Garza comes back down to earth. -And here is where you are being an ass.


It is one month don't get carried away. -This is probably all you really needed to say, even though there was no getting carried away with him.

I do it here and there too but there is definitely a way to write a post to someone and comments like I can't wait to come back and stick it to you when a guy sucks, is not a great way to go about things. Nor is finishing with I'm sorry you are so sensitive after being a jerk to someone over something so silly.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??
Posted: May 24, 2017, 2:20 PM Post
Posts: 78
Brew4U said:
leitermab07 said:
Where did I call Garza a stud or say you called him a stud? You called him a very good pitcher who is healthy this yr. I argued with it by backing it up with stats and my viewpoint, without attacking you personally. If you can't handle a good argument and your only response is to call me an ass, then I'm sorry you are so sensitive.


Your argument wasn't good and that wasn't my only response. I'll replay your first message towards me though for you the way I read it.

Because he is healthy this yr? - Right now, yes he's healthy

Didn't he miss the first couple of weeks because of an injury? - Yes, there is a fact

So if he gets hurt in June/July then what? -Make believe land

You are willing to look past 2 years because of one good month. -Never said I was looking past two years but was looking at the entire career of a pitcher.

I can't wait to come back to this message when Garza comes back down to earth. -And here is where you are being an ass.



It is one month don't get carried away. -This is probably all you really needed to say, even though there was no getting carried away with him.

I do it here and there too but there is definitely a way to write a post to someone and comments like I can't wait to come back and stick it to you when a guy sucks, is not a great way to go about things. Nor is finishing with I'm sorry you are so sensitive after being a jerk to someone over something so silly.



Pretty much the response I expected from a guy who has yet to make a compelling argument on this topic. Are you 15 yr old teenage girl? I'll leave another one for you:

Garza teams he has pitched against this year

Cincinnati
Atlanta
Pittsburgh
Mets
San Diego
Toronto

Combined record so far this year is 117 - 154. Half of those teams are last in their division right now.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??
Posted: May 24, 2017, 2:36 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5578
leitermab07 said:
Brew4U said:
leitermab07 said:
Where did I call Garza a stud or say you called him a stud? You called him a very good pitcher who is healthy this yr. I argued with it by backing it up with stats and my viewpoint, without attacking you personally. If you can't handle a good argument and your only response is to call me an ass, then I'm sorry you are so sensitive.


Your argument wasn't good and that wasn't my only response. I'll replay your first message towards me though for you the way I read it.

Because he is healthy this yr? - Right now, yes he's healthy

Didn't he miss the first couple of weeks because of an injury? - Yes, there is a fact

So if he gets hurt in June/July then what? -Make believe land

You are willing to look past 2 years because of one good month. -Never said I was looking past two years but was looking at the entire career of a pitcher.

I can't wait to come back to this message when Garza comes back down to earth. -And here is where you are being an ass.



It is one month don't get carried away. -This is probably all you really needed to say, even though there was no getting carried away with him.

I do it here and there too but there is definitely a way to write a post to someone and comments like I can't wait to come back and stick it to you when a guy sucks, is not a great way to go about things. Nor is finishing with I'm sorry you are so sensitive after being a jerk to someone over something so silly.



Pretty much the response I expected from a guy who has yet to make a compelling argument on this topic. Are you 15 yr old teenage girl?


Won't be expecting to see you for much longer. Congrats on proving my point. Have a good day.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??
Posted: July 28, 2017, 12:09 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 321
Apparently Price is going on the DL for the same issue that he had earlier this year. Probably not a good sign for the Red Sox. I know DS snookered him in the last trade, but do you think they would be interested in something like Garza and Perez for Groome? Garza can fill in while Price in on the DL or all year if he needs sugery. Perez can fill in if Devers isn't up to the task this year. Probably not, but we all know how Dombrowski likes to trade prospects. Might be a good idea to give him a call and find out if business can be done.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??
Posted: July 28, 2017, 12:22 PM Post
Posts: 251
Mudville9 said:
Apparently Price is going on the DL for the same issue that he had earlier this year. Probably not a good sign for the Red Sox. I know DS snookered him in the last trade, but do you think they would be interested in something like Garza and Perez for Groome? Garza can fill in while Price in on the DL or all year if he needs sugery. Perez can fill in if Devers isn't up to the task this year. Probably not, but we all know how Dombrowski likes to trade prospects. Might be a good idea to give him a call and find out if business can be done.


Both guys combined aren't worth their number 1 pick

Michael Chavis(#3) and Mike Shawaryn(#8) could be possible, but still doubt it.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??
Posted: July 28, 2017, 12:29 PM Post
Posts: 309
Location: New Berlin, WI
mlloyd10 said:
Mudville9 said:
Apparently Price is going on the DL for the same issue that he had earlier this year. Probably not a good sign for the Red Sox. I know DS snookered him in the last trade, but do you think they would be interested in something like Garza and Perez for Groome? Garza can fill in while Price in on the DL or all year if he needs sugery. Perez can fill in if Devers isn't up to the task this year. Probably not, but we all know how Dombrowski likes to trade prospects. Might be a good idea to give him a call and find out if business can be done.


Both guys combined aren't worth their number 1 pick

Michael Chavis(#3) and Mike Shawaryn(#8) could be possible, but still doubt it.


The Red Sox just got Nunez from the Giants. He will likely fill the Perez role and play 3rd everyday if Devers proves to not be ready. That said, I could see the Red Sox looking at someone like Garza for the stretch run but we won't get much for him.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??
Posted: August 01, 2017, 9:24 AM Post
Posts: 662
I am up in the air on his option. Injuries and age concern me. He pitched roughly 100 innings last year and will probably get close to that amount this year. Then again, they could move him to the pen, where he would refuse and then they can send him home. I guess some team would take him if the option was used but there is no guarantee that it would happen.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??
Posted: August 01, 2017, 11:08 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1105
Location: Green Bay, WI
Garza at $5M next season is a no-brainer to me. That's not a significant amount of money to assume the risk. I'd rank the likely outcomes as:

1) Pick up the option and pencil Garza into the 2018 rotation
2) Pick up the option and trade Garza if you don't have him in the plans for 2018
3) Decline the option and let him walk.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??
Posted: August 01, 2017, 11:10 AM Post
Posts: 6238
Location: Kenosha, WI
Outcome #3 isn't even possible at this point. He would have to get seriously injured for him not to draw interest at $5mil.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next  [ 292 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test