LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 30 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Eddie Butler

Offline  Eddie Butler

Posted: January 28, 2017, 4:37 PM Post
Global Moderator
I at least have to ask the question... take a chance on Eddie Butler?

In two years he has gone from top 50 prospect to earlier today being DFA'd by the Rockies. He is only 25 years old. Are the Brewers in a position to take a chance on a change of scenery sparking a resurgence? Is there even a small chance he could be a Jake Arrieta type success story with a new club?

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Eddie Butler

Posted: January 28, 2017, 6:03 PM Post
This would be a solid pickup for AAA depth. Problem is our AAA location is no better than Coors.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2017, 8:22 PM Post
I'd be on board. He's the exact kind of guy we should be taking a chance on at this point.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Eddie Butler

Posted: January 28, 2017, 8:55 PM Post
This is the kind of player I want the Brewers to add. Not Matt Wieters, Eric Thames or Chris Carter.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2017, 8:57 PM Post
Global Moderator
Anyone know what happened to Butler? He killed it in the lower minors - not bad at AA - then just blew it.

His second year - 2013 - playing at A-, A+ and AA levels - he threw 150 innings and gave up only 96 hits. That's phenomenal.

His strikeout rate really dropped the next year at AA for a full season. ERA was okay - 3.58. But then things just went south. Horrible ERAs, low strike rates, increased walk rate.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about him.

He seems like the kind of guy who we should take a flyer on - but I don't know that much about him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2017, 9:17 PM Post
From reading the comments on MLBTradeRumors (so take that for what it's worth) his stuff is very hittable and the lack of swing-and-miss stuff led to a lot of contact in very hitter friendly places and bad results. I don't know if that's true or not but if a guy has shown he can't really pitch about A ball I don't think that's a guy you really go after.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2017, 10:02 PM Post
So, there's this: http://www.purplerow.com/2016/10/5/13162268/colorado-rockies-eddie-butler-2016-review-bad

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2017, 5:24 AM Post
If Butler didn't have some serious concerns right now, he wouldn't be available.

I think more importantly than whether or not he will ever rediscover his talent and be successful at the big league level, is what it costs us if he doesn't. The answer is essentially nothing, so I see nothing wrong with that kind of a flyer right now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2017, 9:17 AM Post
adambr2 said:
If Butler didn't have some serious concerns right now, he wouldn't be available.

I think more importantly than whether or not he will ever rediscover his talent and be successful at the big league level, is what it costs us if he doesn't. The answer is essentially nothing, so I see nothing wrong with that kind of a flyer right now.

He would cost at least a 40 man roster spot and therefore risk losing someone on waivers. I see some junk that could go but you'd just be swapping out junk for more junk.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2017, 9:23 AM Post
adambr2 said:

It's not totally without costs. Where would Butler fit in among Jungmann, Hader, Lopez, Woordruff, Ortiz, Burgos and all the likely AAA starters? All those guys need innings. I could see taking a shot if the plan is to turn him into a reliever, but otherwise, no.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2017, 9:26 AM Post
Brew4U said:
This would be a solid pickup for AAA depth. Problem is our AAA location is no better than Coors.

AAA starting pitching depth might be the lowest of all their priorities. One thing the Brewers have in spades is AAA rotation depth.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2017, 9:29 AM Post
I am in favor of picking him up but he doesn't deserve a 40 man spot so he would likely be DFA in short time by Stearns.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2017, 10:19 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Brew4U said:

AAA starting pitching depth might be the lowest of all their priorities. One thing the Brewers have in spades is AAA rotation depth.

Can never have enough. Especially when talking about a guy that was drafted in the 1st round, is only 25 and obviously had some skills that were worth being up at the major league level. Burgos could easily be moved to the pen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2017, 11:56 AM Post
Global Moderator
A guy like Butler pretty much comes down to what the org thinks about him. If they see a really talented guy who could potentially rebound with a change of scenery - then go for it. But if they see a guy who just was never that good - or his skills have eroded for whatever reason - then pass.

Obviously, he was well thought of at one point - ranked to 25 by BA. So it's foolish not to do your due diligence on the guy. If the tools are still there it makes for an intriguing option.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2017, 9:19 PM Post
Why wouldn't Atlanta or Cincinnati claim him before it came to out turn?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2017, 10:16 PM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:

Well he hasn't been waived yet. Presumably the Rockies will try to salvage something for him in trade before they place him on waivers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 30, 2017, 1:22 AM Post
adambr2 said:
brewcrewdue80 said:

Well he hasn't been waived yet. Presumably the Rockies will try to salvage something for him in trade before they place him on waivers.

I dont understand the process. DFA so when does it become waivers for teams to claim? Isnt it essentially waived now pending a trade in 3days?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 30, 2017, 1:45 AM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
adambr2 said:
brewcrewdue80 said:

I dont understand the process. DFA so when does it become waivers for teams to claim? Isnt it essentially waived now pending a trade in 3days?

When a player is designated for assignment it immediately frees up a 40 man roster spot and starts a 10 day clock for the team to take action on the player. Typically yes they do end up placed on waivers but often teams will try to trade the player first to at least salvage something for their loss.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 30, 2017, 1:47 AM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
adambr2 said:
brewcrewdue80 said:

It's a 10 day process. Teams can only wait 7 days before they have to put the player on waivers. Prior to that they can try to work out a trade with another team. I'm assuming the Rockies are trying to do that now if they feel he'll be claimed by multiple teams on waivers.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 30, 2017, 10:20 AM Post
Also worth noting that he is out of options so not a guy they can put on the 40 and send to AAA which is a key reason why he won't get targeted by many unless the acquiring team intends to DFA him at some point as well.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 30 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply