LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 107 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Thames

Online  Re: Thames

Posted: April 20, 2017, 10:56 AM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
Thing is, Brewers may just DFA Thames after this season.

I'm so confused.

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Thames

Posted: April 20, 2017, 10:56 AM Post
Global Moderator
FVBrewerFan said:
Thing is, Brewers may just DFA Thames after this season. It's very exciting to watch him, but we still have no idea what kind of hitter he will be long term. Maybe he goes into the tank and can't recover. I mean, he's a great story but it's only page one of the story. Do I think he will end up being horrible? No. But it is possible, and also possible he could just be decent but nothing special.

That's all ok though, because a trade isn't happening now anyhow. We'll have a better idea what we have come July, and re-visit this then.

Right, but that could be said about anyone. All of our top prospects could stink when they get to the majors, but that doesn't mean we should trade them now for "proven" talent. I think you and I agree that putting too much emphasis on "proven" over "unproven" was part of the problem of the past.

Thames looks like he should be an undervalued commodity for a while, and that's what we should be accumulating. Players who can play above average baseball at a below average salary are gold. When playing with a limited budget relative to your peers, utility per dollar is very important. No one can predict the future, but I would guess that Thames will provide more per dollar spent over the next few years than most top prospects will provide.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 20, 2017, 11:04 AM Post
Brew4U said:
FVBrewerFan said:

I'm so confused.

I'm sure you are. That's what happens when you selectively pull a quote out of context.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 20, 2017, 11:53 AM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
Brew4U said:
FVBrewerFan said:

I'm so confused.

I'm sure you are. That's what happens when you selectively pull a quote out of context.

No I read and understood your point but just cannot see how or why the Brewers would DFA a guy after one season of a 3-4 year (has this been settled yet?) contract?

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 20, 2017, 3:01 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
If Thames finished the year with a slash line of like .180/.230/.300, a DFA would certainly be plausible. He'd have to be historically awful for the rest of the season to accomplish that. I've seen stranger things, though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 20, 2017, 3:19 PM Post
There is almost no way Eric Thames would get DFA'd. At worst he has big time power as a lefty and can play multiple positions.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 20, 2017, 3:59 PM Post
I understand. Extreme example, maybe 1% chance that happens. Meant to get us all to take a deep breath and realize he's not some untouchable Babe Ruth type player. Casey McGehee was a huge presence in the middle of the line-up, and completely lost it, and was cut. Not exactly same situation here, but similar.

So when I see the pictures of how he is a major piece of the rebuild, can't be traded, etc., it's nowhere near a given. So at the deadline if someone offered Hader/ Supak/Pennington tough to hang up the phone.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 20, 2017, 10:49 PM Post
If Thames keeps hitting like he has maybe we can trade him for Mike Trout and Andrelton Simmons

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2017, 12:11 AM Post
Brew4U said:
3-4 year (has this been settled yet?) contract?

The Brewers control Thames for a maximum of 4 seasons including this one. He has base salaries of 4,5, and 6M each respectively in 2017, 18, and 19, and then a team option for 2020 which can be exercised by the Brewers for $7.5M or bought out for $1M.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2017, 2:13 AM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
Rebuilding teams win 70games and less with losses being by 5 runs or more.

Then there never has been a rebuilding team in the history of MLB. Because no team has had a run differential of 810+ runs.[/quote

I mean really? Read that line again, and see how terribly off you are. Guess were playing 300games in the season to arrive to your number.

Let's try football instead. The Cleveland Brows, a constant rebuild team loses games often by 14 or more pts. A competitive team experiences losses often by 1 possession scores. Games arent over in the 1st half rather often 4th quarters decide them. We are at the point already where we are playing games in thr 4th quarter within 1 possession scores. It's not over at halftime.

As to the 2players away. Reading responses after it seems an expectation to be WS contenders requires 100wins.

2 players being pitchers that help the team reach the playoffs. Anything can happen at that point. St Louis beat us in 2011. Did our record and home team advantage matter? We can be that St Louis team and Cubs be who we were in 11. Just making the playoffs gives potential for that to happen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2017, 5:36 AM Post
And That said:
If Thames finished the year with a slash line of like .180/.230/.300, a DFA would certainly be plausible. He'd have to be historically awful for the rest of the season to accomplish that. I've seen stranger things, though.

I saw that too. I thought it was pretty good.

Fan is short for fanatic.
I blame Wang.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2017, 7:27 AM Post
adambr2 said:
brewcrewdue80 said:
Considering ourselves as a rebuilding team with needs to trade away their best Position Players is over. We're a competitive team today .

Again, 15 games. We did not go from a rebuilding team to a contender over the course of 15 games.

Plug in an ace and a solid #3 for what Davies and Milone (a decent Garza?) have been doing and we're a playoff team at this stage. The rebuild is done other than adding/subtracting here and there, now we sit and wait for it to mature.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2017, 7:36 AM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
FVBrewerFan said:
Rebuilding teams win 70games and less with losses being by 5 runs or more.

Then there never has been a rebuilding team in the history of MLB. Because no team has had a run differential of 810+ runs.[/quote

I mean really? Read that line again, and see how terribly off you are. Guess were playing 300games in the season to arrive to your number.

Wow, I was really off on my math. I used the full 162 games, instead of just the losses. But the Phillies had the worst run differential last year, at 1.1. So there's no way they were close to losing by 5 runs in their losses.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2017, 7:59 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
FVBrewerFan said:
So there's no way they were close to losing by 5 runs in their losses.

The Phillies' average margin of defeat last year was 4.18 runs.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2017, 8:06 AM Post
See, that's .82 runs a game less.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2017, 9:05 AM Post
superfly said:
adambr2 said:
brewcrewdue80 said:
Considering ourselves as a rebuilding team with needs to trade away their best Position Players is over. We're a competitive team today .

Again, 15 games. We did not go from a rebuilding team to a contender over the course of 15 games.

Plug in an ace and a solid #3 for what Davies and Milone (a decent Garza?) have been doing and we're a playoff team at this stage. The rebuild is done other than adding/subtracting here and there, now we sit and wait for it to mature.

Well, I think we are in need of a true #1 and #2 starting pitcher, however, I don't think our current bullpen would allow a playoff appearance right now...

We are probably closer than most think, but yet so far away. We have a ton of money to spend though, so we could be on the cusp of great things happening sooner than we expected.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2017, 9:13 AM Post
superfly said:
adambr2 said:
brewcrewdue80 said:

Agreed, I don't think selling major assets(outside of maybe Braun) is something you do anymore and competing might not be far off. We have two league minimum top prospects waiting to be called up. The top lefty prospect in the game and the 4th best OF prospect. We also have two other pretty major pitchers in Ortiz/Woodruff knocking on the door.

That is a whole lot of talent about to hit the MLB team and that is before considering our non existent payroll. One could easily make an attempt to compete next year without ruining the future payroll or trading away prospects.

Not sure Stearns does that, but I certainly don't think trading Thames is even remotely on the radar no matter what. Because if we don't start making moves this offseason it certainly will happen post-2018. A lot of that depends if this offense is for real or not. This offense could prove to be pretty darn good going into next year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2017, 9:38 AM Post
I'm excited about the team, but our pitching is just not good enough to compete this year. Hopefully Peralta can keep it going, Davies can get it going like last year and Guerra can come back strong, but it's still not a playoff rotation. At the end of the day, finishing above 500 this year would be a huge success.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2017, 9:56 AM Post
Playoffs depends a lot on other teams as well. If the Pirates, Reds, and Cardinals stink this year all of a sudden a path to the playoffs becomes more realistic because you get so many games against your division. Not saying this is going to happen, but this is a path to them when you are just an average team.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2017, 10:02 AM Post
I am sure that all the extra OF/Middle Inf that DS has obtained will be used for some possible young arms down the road

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 107 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply