LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  [ 685 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What could Braun bring from anyone? (2017 version)

Offline  Re: What could Braun bring from anyone? (2017 version)
Posted: June 02, 2017, 3:41 PM Post
adambr2 said:
I wonder if a team like the Rockies would 'block' the Dodgers to avoid them putting in a claim, assuming he'd turn down coming to Colorado.

That would be very risky, though. Maybe too risky.

I mentioned this last year when August was rolling around. To be honest if it didn't happen last year when his value was exponentially more than it is now I really doubt any team would consider it now. It wouldn't surprise me if a team did...but what if Braun suddenly wants to go to a contender? No one wants that contract and I don't think a team wants to risk that at all.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 02, 2017, 10:27 PM Post
If it's not the Dodgers, it will be an AL team that he gets moved to. At this point, DH is his best position.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 03, 2017, 12:50 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
adambr2 said:
I wonder if a team like the Rockies would 'block' the Dodgers to avoid them putting in a claim, assuming he'd turn down coming to Colorado.

That would be very risky, though. Maybe too risky.

I mentioned this last year when August was rolling around. To be honest if it didn't happen last year when his value was exponentially more than it is now I really doubt any team would consider it now. It wouldn't surprise me if a team did...but what if Braun suddenly wants to go to a contender? No one wants that contract and I don't think a team wants to risk that at all.

Only chance i can see Braun ever being traded is

1. A contender wants him

2. It's a city he wants to live and play in

3. The Brewers eat some of his contract given Braun's injury history

Eat say a 1/3 or 1/2 of the money and it mitigates his health concerns.

Given the low payroll, Attanasio can afford to eat some of that contract and whoever would replace Braun would be an OF from the minors who makes pocket change.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What could Braun bring from anyone? (2017 version)
Posted: September 08, 2017, 1:49 PM Post
As much as Scooter gets brought up for his waive back in April, I thought the no-trade last August over a year later is worth a retrospective look.

Braun has a 1.2 fWAR and .831 OPS this year.

Puig has a 2.3 fWAR, mostly from superior defensive skills, but he does have similar slugging numbers to Braun and has remained healthy.

McCarthy has not, he has similar injury struggles as Garza and is on the DL. He however has a 3.84 ERA and 3.33 FIP in 16 starts this year. He would have been a much better version of Garza this year, who comparably has a 5.06 ERA and 4.96 FIP in 22 starts.

I don't know who the two prospects would have been, I'm guessing somewhere in the 15-20 organizational prospect range for the Dodgers.

Puig/McCarthy would have been a respectable get for Braun regardless of the two prospects included.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 11, 2017, 1:45 AM Post
Amazing what a few months does.

adambr-Really couldn't have nailed this one any more. I also thought they should make the trade but wasn't that disappointed about it.
If an offer with Puig, McCarthy, and even two 10-15 organizational prospects was in play, I think Stearns is probably kicking himself a bit. Now there's a chance that Braun repeats his 2016 and all of this is a option again next year, but now we've got 10/5 rights to deal with.

Again adambr
If Stearns got offered Bellinger for Braun straight up tonight, with no salary going to LA, he'd take about 3 seconds to accept and party in the streets of Milwaukee tonight.

Bellinger alone will never put up the stats Braun has or will moving forward.

Braun at first base in 2019 and 2020 would put up better stats than Bellinger at first base during that same time frame when the Brewers are to compete. Keep Braun then if your going to get robbed.

As for the last two, definitely not trying to call out anyone here. Not sure if I'd have been a fan of just getting Bellinger back(I will admit to not being as well versed in other teams prospects the last few years). But...at this point if Braun has another year better than Bellinger I'd be happy. Add to the fact that they're saying Bellinger is a GG caliber defender at 1st base....

I guess this is what happens when you get the guy who built the Devil Rays/Rays into a perennial contender with the lowest payroll in the league and then goes to a team that spent 360 million dollars on players just a few years ago.

Again, not trying to embarrass anyone...I thought that Justin Harrell was a good pick by Ted Thompson and still believed 3 years after...so people get things wrong. More of a proverbial tip of the cap to adambr.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  [ 685 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply