LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 167 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Is it possible that we could be buyers at the deadline?

Offline  Re: Is it possible that we could be buyers at the deadline?

Posted: May 16, 2017, 10:02 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Giving up four good prospects for Quintana would seem to run counter to Stearns' oft-stated mantra of acquiring young, controllable talent. I would be shocked if something like that happened, though I guess if the Brewers feel that they're within striking distance I could see the rationale.

I think the Brewers will be more likely to acquire veteran starting pitching via free agency, as opposed to trading for it. Free agency obviously requires much less talent outflow to pay for the talent inflow. The Brewers' payroll would seemingly accommodate that route as well.

I would not be surprised to see the Brewers go after some bullpen help via trade, with the caveat that I don't think they'll give up much value for a rental.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 16, 2017, 10:10 AM Post
My take is that he's the only one that could even be discussed due to control and modest cost, and I still lean towards not bothering. Plus I'm sure a true contender would trump our offer anyway. Any other more traditional rental type high profile people would be an automatic no for me.

Remember the Twins 2-3 years ago that were way better than they should have been, but management knew it was a fluke and they had no shot even if they snuck in the playoffs so they didn't make any moves and kept the long game going. I wouldn't say ours is exactly a fluke as I think the O is legit, but overall that's where we're at right now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 16, 2017, 11:47 AM Post
Heres where I'm breaking it down to.

The longer we hold on promoting Woodruff/Hader to tge bullpen to be potentially the help we need, the more likely we watch at least 2 of our top 100s address a need in pitching. Gotta move on this roster situation or hope Stearns is extremely patient to ignore the crowd whispers, Melvin whispers, Mark A. whispers to improve the pitching via a trade. Every week this team's pitching staff ranks in bottom 5 while offense is top 5 will increase tge stress to do something he seems unwilling to do whether hes in the right doing so or not. Draft day a 1st pick Pitcher may delay some of the rumblings. I dont understand how Jorge Lopez isnt starting to at least show an attempt to help this Rotation

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 16, 2017, 11:53 AM Post
I guess Mike Minor would make sense for a bullpen lefty rental. The Royals will definitely be sellers come July. I just wouldn't give up much to get him I suppose.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2017, 3:33 PM Post
What does everyone think about handing over a "quantity" Melvin-esque package for Quintana. Something like Brinson or Hader along with 3 or 4 prospects in the 20's range that are pushing the 40 man roster or probably won't make the team due to minors depth. I would have to at least make the call and find out if something can be done. Something like Brinson, Gatewood, Medeiros, Demi, Lara, Reed. Might have to change out Demi for Cordell or something, but I think as long as we don't give up much pitching, the rest could be restocked fairly quickly through the draft. Heck, even if we flame out for the next year, we could still get a haul from Quintana next year at the deadline. It would be nice to deal off some of the "depth" for a major piece.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2017, 4:03 PM Post
Mudville9 said:
What does everyone think about handing over a "quantity" Melvin-esque package for Quintana. Something like Brinson or Hader along with 3 or 4 prospects in the 20's range that are pushing the 40 man roster or probably won't make the team due to minors depth. I would have to at least make the call and find out if something can be done. Something like Brinson, Gatewood, Medeiros, Demi, Lara, Reed. Might have to change out Demi for Cordell or something, but I think as long as we don't give up much pitching, the rest could be restocked fairly quickly through the draft. Heck, even if we flame out for the next year, we could still get a haul from Quintana next year at the deadline. It would be nice to deal off some of the "depth" for a major piece.

This sounds like a feasible plan, but I still think other contending teams like the Astros, Yankees or Cubs would beat our offer for Quintana by a fair amount.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2017, 4:07 PM Post
And to even consider I think we'd have to be several games ahead in the standings nearing the deadline, not just in the race. I still think that's a heck of a lot to give up and probably don't do it, then someone else will trump us.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2017, 4:08 PM Post
Global Moderator
Buying at the deadline is probably a mistake. It's not like one or two guys is going to shore up the staff the point where it's that good. We need a lot more than that.

Just let the young guys play things out. Let Lopez, Woodruff, Hader and whomever else be our grand experiments. Meanwhile, keep weeding out the guys without a future.

It's foolish to pay deadline prices for players.

I'm not precluding smaller deals - pick up some salary or give a mid-level prospect for a player - that sort of thing. But for now, I think it's a mistake to think we are that good.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2017, 4:58 PM Post
I would rather target someone like Brent Honeywell from the Rays or Justus Sheffield from the Yankees than Quintana. If we are going to be giving up a good prospect I would rather trade for Brent Honeywell.

Brinson for Honeywell would make some sense for both the Rays and the Brewers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2017, 6:57 PM Post
nate82 said:
I would rather target someone like Brent Honeywell from the Rays or Justus Sheffield from the Yankees than Quintana. If we are going to be giving up a good prospect I would rather trade for Brent Honeywell.

Brinson for Honeywell would make some sense for both the Rays and the Brewers.
That "screwball" he throws makes my elbow even hurt. Brinson all day every day. Ray and I'd think about it, but even then it's quite a bit of risk.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2017, 6:58 PM Post
It would be nice if there was a contending team that needed a slugging LF or DH that had a starting pitcher that was on the cusp of the bigs. Follow me?

2 birds, 1 stone.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2017, 8:02 PM Post
Given our depth, we could take fringe guys that need to be protected for the rule 5 draft and bundle a couple of them. Think of guys in the mold of Wilkerson, Taylor, Cooper, etc

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2017, 8:54 PM Post
DHonks said:
Given our depth, we could take fringe guys that need to be protected for the rule 5 draft and bundle a couple of them. Think of guys in the mold of Wilkerson, Taylor, Cooper, etc

As part of a bigger package sure, but packaged together these guys aren't worth much at all.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2017, 9:02 PM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
Heres where I'm breaking it down to.

The longer we hold on promoting Woodruff/Hader to tge bullpen to be potentially the help we need, the more likely we watch at least 2 of our top 100s address a need in pitching. Gotta move on this roster situation or hope Stearns is extremely patient to ignore the crowd whispers, Melvin whispers, Mark A. whispers to improve the pitching via a trade. Every week this team's pitching staff ranks in bottom 5 while offense is top 5 will increase tge stress to do something he seems unwilling to do whether hes in the right doing so or not. Draft day a 1st pick Pitcher may delay some of the rumblings. I dont understand how Jorge Lopez isnt starting to at least show an attempt to help this Rotation

Bottom 5 pitching? The Brewers are 15th in the majors in team ERA, and have never been in the bottom 5 all year. They've done that without their opening day starter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Sterns has brought me back..

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2017, 11:25 PM Post
Bottom 5 in total runs allowed. Maybe not now with this series.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 5:56 AM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:

That's just a function of the Brewers playing more games than other teams. Scheduling quirk combined with fewer rainouts. The Brewers have played 5 more games than some teams.

If you want an accurate measuring stick of where we stand pitching wise, I'd suggest looking at ERA or more advanced metrics, not runs allowed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Sterns has brought me back..

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 10:39 AM Post
Quintana hasn't been Quintana so far this year. He was amazing in the WBC but (small sample alert) has a 4.38 ERA, 91 ERA+ (100 is league average) and a 1.4 something WHIP in 49 IP's so far this season

Just goes to show the volatile nature of pitching. Perhaps the poor start will lessen the asking price (doubt it) but no I would not give up the farm for him. On the plus side, the team that trades for him could have him for 3 additional seasons, so he isn't a rental.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... jo01.shtml

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 6:18 PM Post
Never Outhustled said:
brewcrewdue80 said:

That's just a function of the Brewers playing more games than other teams. Scheduling quirk combined with fewer rainouts. The Brewers have played 5 more games than some teams.

If you want an accurate measuring stick of where we stand pitching wise, I'd suggest looking at ERA or more advanced metrics, not runs allowed.

Well consdering the start of the season and the multiple Errors. ERA doesnt attribute Unearned runs. And I get we've played more games but runs pg avg I recall was in the same range. This really blows to be without a computer as I can't see these stats with my phone w/o these sites bugging it out and crashing.

Now what about the situation where we're sitting in first like now. Stearns has to be a buyer wouldnt he? How would he explain post deadline not doing a thing to help a roster sitting in 1st?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 6:34 PM Post
I'd rather have Archer and Teheran, but I'd be okay with Quintana and Teheran if we get to keep Brinson, Ortiz and Woodruff. Everybody else can go. Hader, Ray, Phillips, Diaz, Cordell, Santana, Clark and Madeiros for Q and T.

They are both off to slow starts. Buy low now, stearns.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 19, 2017, 1:43 AM Post
I would absolutely despise moving prospects for veterans. We seriously just reloaded our farm system and we're willing to throw it away because we had a good 40 game stretch?

You at the very least wait until Woodruff and Hader come up and see if they can provide improved pitching from within instead of getting impatient and blowing your prospect depth while still in a rebuild. If the Brewers were 35-47 and then had a 24-18 stretch, nobody would be talking about buying. The only reason it's happening is because this stretch happened at the beginning of the season.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 167 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply